HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:49 PM
Joined Oct 2009
10 Posts
Question
Nanotech vs regular lipo's

Pretty noob here to the hobby, but I know that the nanotech batteries charge must faster than regular lipos, but how exactly do they compare in flight time duration?

For example, what would the difference be for 11.1v 1300maH for both battery technologies flying under the same conditions? (this is for a flying wing platform)

thanks
dezerteagle323 is offline Find More Posts by dezerteagle323
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2010, 02:11 AM
sloping addict
France
Joined Feb 2003
1,536 Posts
The advantage is lower internal resistance, which means higher voltage especially under high loads and capability for more ultimate power (ie burst discharges up to 60C or even 90C). Potential colateral advantage is longer life duration as the cells have slightly less strain for a given application.
Size / form factor may be another point of interest.

But for most users, most good standard 20/30C cells will be plenty good enough and you will never see the difference for mild setups.

You see the difference if you push towards the limits, that only 0.5% of users take real advantage of: 3D helis, high power gliders, pylon racers and some EDF mainly...
For example F5B setups use up to 400A+ out of 3650 mAh cells.
FYI, my 3000 mAh Flightmax 40C already deliver easily up to 176A for 3-5 seconds bursts on a glider... Good enough cells already (they might actually have these "nano" spacers already embedded inside as I heard most good 35+C cells since over a year may actually use this building technology - I don't know if this is true)

You can charge also at up to 10C the nanos, assuming you have a charger and power supply that can deliver... Better have 2-3 packs and charge @ 2-3C IMHO.
Protocooler is offline Find More Posts by Protocooler
Old Sep 27, 2010, 09:59 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezerteagle323 View Post
Pretty noob here to the hobby, but I know that the nanotech batteries charge must faster than regular lipos, but how exactly do they compare in flight time duration?

For example, what would the difference be for 11.1v 1300maH for both battery technologies flying under the same conditions? (this is for a flying wing platform)

thanks
Practically speaking - none to little
I don't think you'll see any difference between a 20C non-nano and a 25-40C nano under a 6-10min flight profile. That's a 6-10C draw.

Besides, how much of the nano stuff is just sales hype?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Sep 27, 2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:48 PM
Joined Oct 2009
10 Posts
Ok thanks for clearing that up.

So for someone like me who's just gonna be doing mild/stable flying, the only real advantage here with the nano's is their quick recharge time and lighter weight, correct?
dezerteagle323 is offline Find More Posts by dezerteagle323
Old Sep 27, 2010, 09:24 PM
Canada, ON, Kincardine
Joined Feb 2009
517 Posts
Most are heavier though. But the real advantage is quick recharge.
Helno is offline Find More Posts by Helno
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:29 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,364 Posts
Quote:
But the real advantage is quick recharge.
Faster charge rate LiPolys are not new and they do not need to be nanao to have this capability.

Thunder Power Pro lite LiPolys have been 3C charge capable for nearly 4 years now. Many newer (last year or so ) Thunder Powers can be charge at 4-10 , Hyperion G3 series have been 5C charge capable for around two years now.

Over the past 4 years I have started several threads on charging at greater than 1C but most often all the nay sayers come along and wave their safety banners.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Sep 28, 2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:42 AM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Oct 2004
428 Posts
Quote:
Over the past 4 years I have started several threads on charging at greater than 1C but most often all the nay sayers come along and wave their safety banners.
We hear this with every new product too... but afterall, trying new things and experimenting with new methods is how we come up with new products, right?
Chris Moon is offline Find More Posts by Chris Moon
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:55 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,364 Posts
Post made March. 2006 showing 1-3C charge results

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=483

More recently 300 cycles at 5C charge rate.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1142882
Last edited by everydayflyer; Sep 28, 2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:32 AM
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Post made March. 2006 showing 1-3C charge results

More recently 300 cycles at 5C charge rate.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1142882
one trick pony.............. promoting ThunderPower
TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:31 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,364 Posts
From post #6 above

Quote:
Hyperion G3 series have been 5C charge capable for around two years now.
Simple facts are that Thunder Power was one of the first with greater than 1c charge capable LiPolys and one was cycled at 3C charge rates for 600 cycles approx. 5 years ago but no point in posting link as it would just be dismissed by many.. The point of my post was to show that HK nano techs with their greater than 1C charge rates are not the first.

Kokams were the very first advertised as being capable of 3C charge rates when using the FMA Cell Pro 4 however some of the very early results were not that great.

I would love for someone to do 300 cycle testing of the HK nanos at 5C charges and 16C discharges but no one seems that interested in doing so. No point in me doing it as to many would question my results. I posted less than stellar results of a nano tech 45C and most posted I got a bad one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=everydayflyer

Another user posted similar results so his must have been a bad one also. A well respected by many tester tested one and then some posted some negative comments,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=486
Charles

Some of my LiPoly test thread since May which include Thunder Power,Hyperion,Billowy,GenAce

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=41
Last edited by everydayflyer; Sep 28, 2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:34 AM
Joined Sep 2010
136 Posts
Nanotech is better![img]/sig/31/smile.gif[/img]
FranklinWalker is offline Find More Posts by FranklinWalker
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:01 AM
Joined Aug 2008
485 Posts
I have been charging NeuEnergy lipos for well over a year now at 5c and the lipos I have seem just as good as when I first got them.
omnicomps is offline Find More Posts by omnicomps
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:12 PM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
923 Posts
What is nanotech?

Hello
What is nanotech? I have heard of it but have no clue...

/Ville
liukku is offline Find More Posts by liukku
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:16 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liukku View Post
Hello
What is nanotech? I have heard of it but have no clue...

/Ville
Marketing hype. Knowing HK, they took another one of their lipos, and stuck another pretty label on it.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:23 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
Well I've run an 1800 3s 25-50c nanotech pack vs an 1800 3s 30c turnigy pack and noted that there was MORE voltage drop with the nano's at both a fresh charge (12.5v) and discharged to 3.8v/cell (11.4v). The lighter nano weight did not overcome the drop in power (AUW of the plane was 701 with nanos, 716 with non-nano). The load was ~23 amps freshly charged and 20 @ 11.4v so it should be *well* within the rating of the nanotech cells (less than 13c !!!) and yet the overall watts dropped from ~270 down to ~260. Bad pack?
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies