HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2010, 07:57 PM
Florida
Joined May 2009
9 Posts
Discussion
Stator insulation paper

Hi guys, (and girls in case there are any)

I have to wind a motor for a heli and need some help in finding stuff.
I have some wire shipped and I am looking for insulation paper or insulation tape to put in the slots and am also looking for insulation tube for insulating the star point and the outgoing wires.

Any help is welcome.

Cheers
Heliskip
Heliskip is offline Find More Posts by Heliskip
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:46 PM
Florida
Joined May 2009
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliskip View Post
Hi guys, (and girls in case there are any)

I have to wind a motor for a heli and need some help in finding stuff.
I have some wire shipped and I am looking for insulation paper or insulation tape to put in the slots and am also looking for insulation tube for insulating the star point and the outgoing wires.

Any help is welcome.

Cheers
Heliskip
Really, is there nobody who can help me?????

Cheers
Heliskip
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:08 AM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
here ya go: heat resistant tape

the Polyimide tape is great stuff! i use it all the time for electronics tasks. a roll will last forever! i found it sort of difficult to work with for winding small motors. might be fine for medium to larger stuff. haven't tried the other tapes yet... cheers!
-sj

*edit* they have heat shrink at ridiculous prices too! thats normally what i use for insulating the connections / leads.
sonicj is offline Find More Posts by sonicj
Old Jul 13, 2010, 08:15 AM
Florida
Joined May 2009
9 Posts
Thanks sonicj!

Cheers
Heliskip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
here ya go: heat resistant tape

the Polyimide tape is great stuff! i use it all the time for electronics tasks. a roll will last forever! i found it sort of difficult to work with for winding small motors. might be fine for medium to larger stuff. haven't tried the other tapes yet... cheers!
-sj

*edit* they have heat shrink at ridiculous prices too! thats normally what i use for insulating the connections / leads.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 08:55 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,327 Posts
The transparent brownish yellow tape like seen there at DealExtreme is often called (and may even be) Kapton tape, it is much used for covering bare wires and potential short spots on batteries.

It provides insulation without adding much bulk or thickness to the battery covering.

The Kapton tape is a very good insulator and very resistant to puncture or breakdown. It is typically rated to have a dialectric strength of like 3,000V to 4,000V or so per mil (0.001") of thickness.

I had not thought of using that tape and don't have any of it.

Heliskip, let us know if you get some and it works out well for insulating stators. The challenging part of using it will be to get it to wrap the sharp corners and and complex curves on the stator arms without breaking down and losing the insulation qualities. The adhesive on the tape may help with all that.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2010, 09:21 AM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliskip View Post
Thanks sonicj!

Cheers
Heliskip
np!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
I had not thought of using that tape and don't have any of it.

Heliskip, let us know if you get some and it works out well for insulating stators. The challenging part of using it will be to get it to wrap the sharp corners and and complex curves on the stator arms without breaking down and losing the insulation qualities. The adhesive on the tape may help with all that.
heres the roll i have: link easily worth the 320 pennies! i use it far more often than i would have thought prior to picking up a roll.

i think it should work fine for stator insulation if you have the patience and a fresh blade. the one time i tried it was with a really small stator and i wasn't really in the mood for stator prep. =/
-sj
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:12 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
For the correct Awful Smell, when you burn it out, use strips of brown paper and dip the stator in shellac (French polish) and allow to dry...what was good enough for Grandad in WWI is good enough today I say!

"I joined The RFC to cure me constipation and trench foot. Never a problem with all that castor oil. Mind you, I got frostbite on me nose instead"
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:08 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
I use baking paper from the local motor rewind shop. If it's good enough for a 200C ambient motor, it's good enough for my small outrunners. It's a bit harder to us than the tape, though.

I might have to get a roll of that tape and try it. Thanks for the link Sonic!

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:19 AM
Scratch builder
USA, PA, Telford
Joined Apr 2004
1,339 Posts
I've used Glyptal 1201B http://www.glyptal.com/ to fill in chips in fluidized armatures. I imagine it could work to insulate the whole thing if I had to.
KenSt is offline Find More Posts by KenSt
Old Jul 13, 2010, 05:33 PM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
hmm, i like the idea of dipping the whole thing! sounds like a lot less work!

the stuff i can never seem to find (reasonably priced) is the braided cloth sleeving...

from powercroco
Old Jul 13, 2010, 05:39 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,327 Posts
If you deburr the sharp edges and paint it with two coats of the Loctite 410 rubberized CA adhesive it will do a pretty good job. I had good luck with that. I think the deburring is a key part of the process though, get all those sharp edged rounded off.

Jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2010, 07:04 PM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
i've done the ca thing a few times... i used to only use it for fixing small spots. below are the 2 i've ca'd the ends on.

i was using the loctite rubberized ca, but switched to gorilla glue after i tried a bottle. both are good stuff to have around!

i coated a stator with jbweld and it probably would have worked, but i got a little too aggressive with the dremel. its a much slower ordeal, but cures much harder than the ca. jb kwik sets far too fast, but i guess you could just slap it on and then sand it down.
-sj
Old Jul 13, 2010, 08:52 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,327 Posts
sj,

That is a good looking wind there, the wire looks huge, what gauge is that?

Jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2010, 09:10 PM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
thanx jackerbes! its either 22 or 23... i'll have to go back and look, its been a while. i think its the size of the stator thats making the wire appear so big. the c2226 is a much smaller motor than the model number would suggest. link

heres that jbweld insulated stator. the jb needs to be redone. first attempt / learning process mistake
-sj

*edit* - just realized its kinda hard to see.... but if you look at the edges of each tooth, you can see some sharp spots on some.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:49 AM
Florida
Joined May 2009
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
If you deburr the sharp edges and paint it with two coats of the Loctite 410 rubberized CA adhesive it will do a pretty good job. I had good luck with that. I think the deburring is a key part of the process though, get all those sharp edged rounded off.

Jack
I did not know, that you can deburr the edges. How do you do that? With a file or something like that.
I was under the impression that you create some kind of short within the stator layers when you deburr or break the edges.

Cheers
Heliskip