HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:53 PM
Calgary, Canada
Joined Jan 2007
211 Posts
Idea
Set up of EagleTree Optical RPM sensor

When you install the Optical RPM sensor on the V3 logger be aware that the unit is very, and I mean very directionally sensitive. It is also very sensitive to how far the sensor is from the spinning object. I had to have the sensor almost touching the rotor shaft on my heli to get any output.

The set up that caused me the most trouble along with the above mentioned issues was that in "live mode" the meter display doesn't work reliably and you have to run the shaft above 500 RPM before the "Numeric" display is even close to stable. No where in the documentation is this mentioned.

Both the on line and the documentation shipped with the product is out of date and caused me a great deal of unnecessary frustration.

I had to set the "calibrate motor RPM" to " I have mounted the sensor directly to the motor shaft" to get the right RPM readings even though I have the sensor reading of the main blade shaft.

I'm amazed I got this to work given the amount of miss information I had to wade through.
jonathanC is offline Find More Posts by jonathanC
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2010, 03:22 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,906 Posts
Jonathan, sorry you had headaches with the optical RPM sensor.
Quote:
Both the on line and the documentation shipped with the product is out of date and caused me a great deal of unnecessary frustration.
Apologies. I reviewed the Optical RPM sensor manual just now. The only out of date information I could find is that we have moved the calibration menus from the "Tools" menu to the "Calibration" menu, but I might have missed something. I just uploaded a fixed version. Did you find other issues?
Quote:
I had to set the "calibrate motor RPM" to " I have mounted the sensor directly to the motor shaft" to get the right RPM readings even though I have the sensor reading of the main blade shaft.
There are two values that are available for display. There is "Prop RPM" (headspeed) and "Motor RPM". I think that this might have caused the confusion?
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:32 AM
Calgary, Canada
Joined Jan 2007
211 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to reply Billpa. You are right I had selected the "Motor RPM " in the display instead of prop RPM value. This caused incorrect values by a factor of 10 to show in the output.

The biggest problem I had by far, not having ever used an Eagletree logger before, was trying to work out why the readings from the optical RPM sensor were so unstable. I first set the RPM sensor to read off the main head shaft of my heli, I used masking tape as the white reflecting strip. Getting the sensor and the tape into position is a fiddly job so I wasn't too happy to have to redo the procedure multiple times trying different combination of tape, ink, lights off / on etc etc etc before I worked out that the problem I was seeing with the meter and numeric readings jumping all over the place was due to the fact that I was running the head speed at less that 500 RPM for my testing. Once I upped the head speed to ~1000 RPM the sensor started working fine. It would be helpful to have known this up front.

The software as you pointed out does not match the menu selections, The popup boxes during set up tell you to set value x in the the Tools menu when there is no such menu. This is a small point that should be easy to fix and would help first time product users.

The Logger itself could benefit from having the heat shrink extend over the end pins to protect them from accidentally getting shorted out.

Now that I have the logger set up I can say that it works well. The interface and graphing could benefit from an update though its just cosmetic.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:56 AM
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Jan 2010
14 Posts
Jonathan,
Do you have any photos of how you mounted it - I have to mount mine on the weekend and am trying to see how others attach it to the chassis.

Thanks,
g
ghulands is offline Find More Posts by ghulands
Old May 28, 2010, 11:26 AM
Calgary, Canada
Joined Jan 2007
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghulands View Post
Jonathan,
Do you have any photos of how you mounted it - I have to mount mine on the weekend and am trying to see how others attach it to the chassis.

Thanks,
g
What sensor are you trying to mount, optical or magnetic ? What heli are you installing it on ?

I've tried all 3 sensors - Optical, Magnetic and Brushless Motor. I found the magnetic gives the the most consistent output once you get it mounted. The Optical is good but I found it gave some odd spikes in the output for some reason. The brushless is the noisiest of all 3, however its the easiest to mount.

I currently have the magnetic sensor mounted in a Swift Carbon 550 and the Brushless sensor mounted in a MX400. I'll see if I can get some pics for you later today.
Old May 28, 2010, 06:16 PM
Joined Jan 2010
14 Posts
I've got the optical to go in a Bergen eObserver.

Thanks,
g
Old May 30, 2010, 09:13 PM
Calgary, Canada
Joined Jan 2007
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghulands View Post
I've got the optical to go in a Bergen eObserver.

Thanks,
g
I don't have any pictures of the optical sensor as I don't use it at the moment. Your eObserver looks like quite the machine. It was hard to tell from the pictures off the main site but it looks like it would be hard to mount an optical or magnetic sensor on the heli. I would consider using a brushless sensor if you are looking to monitor your head speed. I wouldn't use the brushless sensor as an input for a governor though as I found the output too noisy.

Good luck with your project.
jc
Old May 31, 2010, 12:23 AM
Joined Jan 2010
14 Posts
I've attached a couple of pics. I tried using a hot glue gun, but it doesn't stick to the metal motor plate. I do have one of the zip ties going through one of the breather holes of the motor, but will probably remove that - I still need to check all the clearances. I might get a couple of temp sensors to monitor the motor and esc.

g
Old May 31, 2010, 12:35 PM
Calgary, Canada
Joined Jan 2007
211 Posts
That looks like a great mounting location. I used a little piece of padded double sided tape to stick the sensor to the mount and then tie wrapped it down.

From looking at your pictures I would defiantly recommend using the magnetic sensor over the optical. You just have to embed or simply stick on with CA a very small magnet - that comes with the sensor to the collar of the gear and your done.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:37 AM
Joined Mar 2008
22 Posts
Ghulands,
Thanks for those photos of the optical sensor setup you used. It is a puzzle to me why Eagletree has failed to show examples of setups of all of their various sensors on a number of different models. Just examples; they could run a disclaimer that setups may vary according to your particular model. I would also like to see a video posted of the steps in setting up the USB to computer interface including how to access and record various readings.

Thanks Again,
Don
dicharry is offline Find More Posts by dicharry
Last edited by dicharry; Jul 15, 2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:00 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,906 Posts
Don, good point. We have this, and now have this thanks to your other post. I suspect the latter will grow very quickly, and we'll post a link to that on our support tab, as well as the former.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor