HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2003, 07:29 AM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,296 Posts
What do you like to fly?

Hey Guys,

We've had threads on our occupations, our political affiliations, our cars, everything but what brought us to this site in the first place. What modelling disciplines do you enjoy?

I'll start off. I'm a Huuuuge 1/2A freak, but most folks know me for Sp400 pylon. I started flying in 1992 by building a BeeTween from M.A.N. plans and stayed with small glow until 1997 when I started dabbling with electrics. Until very recently I manufactured the Sliver 400, having learned a lot from friends that do composites work.

Electrics branched off into pylon, hotliners, slowflyers, and even a yet unflown solar plane. I've been trying to learn to fly CL, and am about to take the discus HLG plunge.

My projects for the coming season are to make 3 planes for the 400 NATS, complete my composite 1/2A racer, and maybe get ready to go to the SMALL fly-in this year.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2003, 02:43 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Fine plane Dave! I like Speed 400's a lot and my gliders. All gliders are cheap floaters, my allowance doesn't go far in this great hobby!
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old May 03, 2003, 10:03 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,251 Posts
I started flying electric powered sailplanes when I made the jump from glow. Although I have other type planes as well I still find sailplanes the most satisfying of all. Of the 20 or so flyable models in my hanger the majority are sailplanes that measure from 47 to 103 inch wingspan and from speed 400 to medium sized brushless motors for power.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old May 03, 2003, 10:23 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Fly mainly speed 400's but have some bigger 05 geared and an 05 size brushless I fly. Also, started getting into slower park flyers. I guess I fly 'em all!!!

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old May 03, 2003, 11:10 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,996 Posts
I design and fly my flying wings, from 24" EDP powered wings to Brushless powered 110 m.p.h. wings and everything in between. I also fly 3D type BL powered planes, thermal gliders, park flyers, indoor/outdoor flyers, Helis, etc... Basically if it flies, I like to fly it.

Here's a pic of my current project. It is a 36" w.s. profile plane that is going to be part heli (hovering). I'll be using a Hacker b20 15L with the 4:1 GB and a 12x6 prop. Should be real fun.

-- Acer
Acer is offline Find More Posts by Acer
Old May 04, 2003, 02:47 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Dave:

That is a beautiful plane!

These things brought me to this site:
I'm into slooooooow, quiet and manuverability.

I've even got a blimp penciled in on my list.

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old May 04, 2003, 03:11 AM
Leavenworth Ks
Joined Nov 2001
111 Posts
what I like

You mean other than everything ???
Dave Bowles is offline Find More Posts by Dave Bowles
Old May 04, 2003, 04:51 AM
Hacker motoren rules :)
Sweden, Östergötland County, Norrköping
Joined Sep 2001
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Acer
I design and fly my flying wings, from 24" EDP powered wings to Brushless powered 110 m.p.h. wings and everything in between. I also fly 3D type BL powered planes, thermal gliders, park flyers, indoor/outdoor flyers, Helis, etc... Basically if it flies, I like to fly it.

Here's a pic of my current project. It is a 36" w.s. profile plane that is going to be part heli (hovering). I'll be using a Hacker b20 15L with the 4:1 GB and a 12x6 prop. Should be real fun.

-- Acer
Awsome!

where can I find plans for that plane?
(I think I´ve asked that before but I dont remember )
it looks greate!

/Philip
Philip Thulin is offline Find More Posts by Philip Thulin
Old May 04, 2003, 05:32 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
I like anything really, however finances and field restraints tend to keep me into the slower floatier speed 400 category. So here's whats been built and is in the imagination ight now

Speed 400 vintage stuff
speed 480 pattern
speed 400 aerobat, but not too much
Speed 400 wwI scale
Speed 400 warbird.
Speed 600/Axi warbird.
Speed 600 or brushless thermal soarer.
Picojet, but its noisy

Oddball parkflyer - I want to build a dragonfly

I am finding that I am thinking larger these days, especially for scale stuff. But for sheer affordable fun the 400 size is where its at IMHO.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old May 04, 2003, 08:08 AM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,996 Posts
TACO II Profile Plans

Phillip, here's where you can find the Taco II Plans: http://swanyshouse.com/taco/taco.html

I built mine full size. All framed up it weighs 10 oz. I used heavy wood though, so you should be able to shave a couple of oz. using contest grade wood. My AUW will be around 25 oz. so it will have almost a 2:1 thrust to weight ratio

-- Acer
Acer is offline Find More Posts by Acer
Old May 04, 2003, 01:27 PM
Hacker motoren rules :)
Sweden, Östergötland County, Norrköping
Joined Sep 2001
763 Posts
cool!

I´m thinking (if I build it) of making it larger and fit my B-40 8L in the nose, I guess it would make a lovley hover traning machine

It looks simple and cheep to build...
and If you make the fuselage a sandwich construction with 1,5 mm balsa and white foam you can get a very light and strong fuselage, and you can cut out a lot of lightening holes in it to...

well...
I have to print the plans out first

Thanks for the link though!

/Philip
Philip Thulin is offline Find More Posts by Philip Thulin
Old May 04, 2003, 02:01 PM
WAA pilot #167 (yeah baby!)
Far, Far, Far West Texas. ie. El Paso
Joined Aug 2002
950 Posts
I used to fly slimers way back when, mostly .40-.60 sized stuff.

I gave it all up about ten years ago due to cost, time involved, ect.

This time around I have nothing bigger than a 380 sized electric. I tried my best to also keep only to foam type ARF's, ala GWS, Wattage, ect. However I ended up getting a Mountain Models Switchback for Christmas this year ( thank you, dear!!). So now the plot thickens... Can I hold off buying a brushless for the Switchback??

We'll see

-Adam
Ahawk is offline Find More Posts by Ahawk
Old May 04, 2003, 02:52 PM
Deer Park, Tx, USA
Joined Feb 2001
422 Posts
I like SMALL electric ( and glow ). Lately SP400 holds interest, Pythons in particular
Russell2 is offline Find More Posts by Russell2
Old May 04, 2003, 05:14 PM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,296 Posts
Wow, these are some cool planes!

I hear you about money being an object,... but you are mostly limited by your time. I've been laid off three times in the last 2 years, but am managing to (slowly) do the things I want to.

As mentioned above I am working on a composite 1/2A racer, have maybe $20 into it at the moment and I have a mold, glass parts and cores to sheet. It was a long time coming and I really decided that it needed to be done so the time spent on the plug was worth it. Now I just have to find time to actually FINISH one!

Here's what a week of time and a few bux will get ya: first piece out of the mold and untrimmed @ .8oz! The second piece was dyed to save weight, probably a good thing 'cause it was a lot heavier.
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Old May 04, 2003, 07:54 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ahawk
Can I hold off buying a brushless for the Switchback??

We'll see

-Adam
Adam:

Good luck and be careful! There are many evil posters that will try to convert you to the BL Side...

http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/bru...6_products.htm

Man, this set up would look great on your SB!

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO