HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2014, 04:22 PM
Joined Jul 2013
29 Posts
Discussion
JR Set Up Help

Let me start by saying that I know nothing about sailplanes, but I just got my first one. Its an R2 Hobby's Raptor.
I use a JR 12X transmitter. I tried putting it in sail plane mode, but it did things I was not accustomed to, like the throttle going away.
I didn't play with it too long, just put the transmitter in "airplane" mode and used it as I do with all my other aircraft, with the flaps/spoilers on a slider.

My question is, can I somehow get the left stick to be a throttle in this mode?
If so, is it beneficial to use in this "sailplane" mode" I think I can ultimately figure out a way to get all the different modes you all use anyway, but not sure.

Perhaps someone here uses a 12X and can give me your opinion?

Thanks,

Dale
Sanjosedale is offline Find More Posts by Sanjosedale
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2014, 04:44 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,349 Posts
Sailplane guys tend to use what you call the throttle stick as the landing stick. For electrics, just use a switch for on/off.

The other thing used for sailplanes are flight modes which amount to different wing/aileron camber presets and elevator presets for thermal, cruise, speed. At the same time you also change aileron to rudder mix rates to be appropriate for the airspeed and maybe some differential changes.

Also be aware that sailplane mode moves the channel order on the RX compared to what you get on aero program.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old Dec 16, 2014, 04:48 PM
If it flies - I want one!
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,080 Posts
Sailplane mode

G'day Dale,
Yes, the JR Sailplane programming is ideal for the four-servo wing, v-tail and motor setup (if I have the right Raptor), but there is a learning curve involved.
I have the JR 9503, so you will need some specific advice for your Tx; however, the basic principles should be similar.
When you select Sailplane model type, the Tx reallocates the channels (have a look at the Monitor screen) so that a six-servo sailplane can use a six channel receiver - Ch1 goes from Thro to Right Aileron and so on - initially no motor channel, so you need to allocate Ch7 or another to throttle/motor.
Yes, you will be able to use the throttle stick for power if desired, active in the Flight Modes you prefer - and also use the same stick for crow braking in Land Mode, though many folks put the motor on a switch.
That is all very general, but may get you started while you wait for a 12X owner to chime in.
Cheers,
Pete
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
Old Dec 16, 2014, 04:51 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,161 Posts
Yes, you can do that. It will require a minimum 7 channel receiver with the MOTO assigned to the throttle stick in the Device Select menu. Motor will be on channel 7. If the MOTO HOLD isn't in the menu, you don't have it right.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Dec 16, 2014, 05:00 PM
Joined Jul 2013
29 Posts
Very helpful guys thanks, I guess I need to learn some new stuff with my radio!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 05:05 PM
Joined Jul 2013
29 Posts
If I put Crow on the throttle stick, I assume that high throttle everything is neutral, and moving the throttle lower gives increasing deflection? Inner ailerons down and outer ailerons up? Or do I have that backwards?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 05:59 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,925 Posts
You will want to have it setup so that in the launch mode the throttle is active and the braking is inactive. In the other modes you will want the brakes active and the throttle inactive or in hold position. You will only need to remember which mode you are in, depending if you want throttle or crow braking. The direction of each is independantly assigned. LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Dec 17, 2014, 02:55 PM
Joined Jul 2013
29 Posts
Thanks Larry, what I meant was, in landing mode, with Crow enabled and motor disabled, is it the normal convention to have full braking on the Throttle stick, at low with no braking on the throttle stick high?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 03:19 PM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
903 Posts
On the 12X, you don't have to use the throttle/spoiler stick for braking when in GLID. You can assign the crow function to a lever or a switch. Traditionally the stick was used for this as there is no motor on a pure sailplane and you need precise control to get landing points. Using a switch limits you to three crow positions, the same as if you were using ACRO. Controlling the crow function with one of the levers at the same time while manipulating both sticks during landing is awkward.

The device that controls the braking/crow is determined by the DEVICE selected for the AUX2 channel in the DeviceSEL menu (17). By default, the device is the spoiler stick but it can be changed.

I've used the left stick for both braking and motor control for a while. It seemed to me that the safest way of having both the motor and crow on the same stick is to have the rest positions for both functions the same. I wasn't about to have a backward throttle, so the crow was set up with the SPOI REV in the Brake System menu (71). The crow could be reversed while leaving the SPOI NORM, reversing the rates in the menu, and changing your subtrims. But doing so, you will loose the ability to have some deadspace in the spoiler stick travel before the crow starts.

In reversing the SPOI in the Brake System, the throttle was reversed. So the MOTO channel was reversed. This meant the MOTO HOLD position had to be set at 100%.

Allan
AWorrest is online now Find More Posts by AWorrest
Old Dec 17, 2014, 04:47 PM
If it flies - I want one!
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,080 Posts
Crow direction on throttle stick

Dale,
I have my aircraft set up so that throttle stick forward is always 'Go' and stick back 'Slow' - that suits my brain, but the down side is that you need to be very aware of where the stick is when you change flight modes.
I have throttle active, no crow in Launch Mode, throttle inhibited, no crow, camber active in Cruise or thermal mode, and throttle inhibited, crow active in Land mode.
So if you are cruising around happily with the throttle stick back at idle, and select Land mode to come down or join the circuit, you get full crow in an instant - you need to bring the (inactive) throttle stick up or down as appropriate before you change modes. Going the other way, you will get full power instantly if the stick is forward.
So Allan's approach is logical and potentially less confusing.
In the end, you will need to decide what does what and when, to suit your brain and flying style; the radio will allow you to do it.
Cheers,
Pete
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
Old Dec 17, 2014, 07:39 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
775 Posts
I use a JR radio and have throttle and crow on the same stick.

1. Launch mode: motor enabled.
2. Cruise: motor disabled and no crow.
3. Land: motor disabled and crow braking enabled.

This link help me out with all the programming. http://www.rcsoaring.com/docs/9303knight.pdf

Hope this helps
justy g is online now Find More Posts by justy g
Old Dec 17, 2014, 08:12 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,161 Posts
Do you have the .pdf documents for the radio? Application guide as well as full manual? There are a lot of good techniques in there, it's actually one of the better radio manuals out there and it doesn't need a Captain Midnight Decoder Ring to use.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Dec 17, 2014, 09:35 PM
Joined Mar 2005
184 Posts
tee-kay

When it comes to the 12x you are 'cap'n midnight'.
Ronald Mong is offline Find More Posts by Ronald Mong
Old Dec 18, 2014, 01:37 PM
Joined Jul 2013
29 Posts
Thanks guys, boy this makes setting up my pattern planes seem damn simple, in comparison!

Yes, I have the manual, it has a lot of new words for sailplanes that I've never seen before LOL
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:33 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjosedale View Post
Thanks guys, boy this makes setting up my pattern planes seem damn simple, in comparison!

Yes, I have the manual, it has a lot of new words for sailplanes that I've never seen before LOL
It seems a lot to work out, but if you take your time and fully understand what your trying to achieve, it soon comes together.

Always fun to learn some new tricks!
justy g is online now Find More Posts by justy g