SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2014, 05:10 AM
wisconsin
Joined Jan 2009
95 Posts
Discussion
i know nutting

What and why
Iím 77 and retired in North Central Wisconsin. For these long winter days there only three things to do, ice fishing, snowmobiling, and pushing snow. That leaves a lot of time to do nothing. Five years ago I thought why not build a model airplane, my hobby as a kid. Bought a kit and about half way thru thought what are you going to do with this thing, why not make it fly? Went on the net found RC Groups and started asking questions. After building two, one of which I think will fly I determined building from a kit is like putting a puzzle together with all the pieces numbered letís try a plan. I became quite crippled up with back problems, canít walk more than 100 yds. And canít stand for more than 15 minutes. What I can do is sit as long as I want to. Learned a lot from the first three, the last one of which I was a crew chief in the USAF, an F-100. A crew chief and a pilot are assigned to a plane and build a partnership that is quite close. One day I googled him, Jack Weeks, and found he was MIA flying a blackbird on the Pueblo incident over N. Korea. That caused me to think Iíd build a SR-71 Blackbird. Checked the net and found there are no plans or kits available. Now thatís a challenge, Iíll build one from scratch. Found ďSR-71.orgĒ /blackbird/diagrams lower left corner and printed out the diagram with dimensions. From this I am building one with what I call creative engineering. Been working on it for almost two years. Is it a blackbird? All I can say is, it looks like one. Will post pics when complete.
Now Iíll admit ďI know nuttingĒ, so need help.
Two EDFís two ESCís and two batteries. Because I donít know if this thing will fly, went as inexpensively as possible. Found EDFís and ESCís on e-bay as a unit. Bought them but now lost.
First no manufacturer listed for EDFís but ESCís are Mystcry Fire Dragon 60A. No thatís not a miss-spelling. Came with instructions on programing but Iím not clear as to what they mean. On the net found some info about Mystery escís, and info indicates there the same thing with a different name. However the guys are talking what they know like
Whatís WOT stand for? Break on or off. Battery type, that I know Lipo. Whatís cutoff mode, soft-cut or cut-off. Cutoff mode, low medium or high. Start mode, normal, soft, super soft. And last timing low, medium or high.
Am at a point where I have to put in all electronic components, but far from complete yet, but have to know if the EDFís will work and run in the correct direction

help
jaymak is offline Find More Posts by jaymak
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2014, 07:38 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,871 Posts
Acronyms.....

Some fun with them. Since you are ex-USAF no doubt this will make some sense.

WOT - Wide Open Throttle. Break on / off - actually Brake on/off; when on it will cause the impeller to stop fast; you want off. Battery type you got. Cutoff mode - when battery voltage gets low, the ESC will go to either hard cutoff (motor stops) or soft cutoff (motor slows way down); on hard, motor can be re-started by dropping throttle stick, then bringing back up - but since batt is low, it will stop again. Soft, it keeps running, but at sloooow speed. Mode low/medium/high refers to the voltage level that the hard/soft cutoff action will occur; settings here are typically like 3.0v (low)/3.1v (medium)/3.2v (hi). This, of course, is voltage level per cell...not total batt voltage. Start is referring to how fast the motor will initially start up; this is done to make the torque reaction easier on things. Soft is for helicopters, where you don't want the blades whipped into a quick startup. Settings here are a preference for what you will use; try em all to see what you like best. Finally, timing is like it sounds - the pulse of electricity to the motor can be advanced from the 0* pole/winding position; done for different types of motors. Outrunner types (the can spins on these) usually like the medium to hi settings; inrunner types (only the shaft spins) generally go with low. Lots of ESCs have an Auto setting too, meaning it picks timing for you after sensing what the motor runs like.

One last thing.....if the motors don't run in the right direction when you spin them up, just switch 2 of the motor/ESC wires. This will get them going the right way. And be mighty careful of thos spinning blades! - more than 1 of us has had to find out the hard way just how good a meat slicer they can be.

Good luck! Sounds like a great project; oughta keep you off the ice for a while .
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Nov 28, 2014, 01:27 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,268 Posts
An esc named "fire dragon" ......good advice from pike.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Last edited by AIR SALLY; Nov 28, 2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 03:30 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
865 Posts
great Explanation
Thanks for posting.
Cheers
Steve.
STEVEAIR2 is online now Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Nov 28, 2014, 04:02 PM
wisconsin
Joined Jan 2009
95 Posts
thanks guys great help
jaymak is offline Find More Posts by jaymak
Old Nov 28, 2014, 05:38 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
........An ESC named "fire dragon" .....
. Yah....those rascally Chinese.....cultural icons, those dragons....but sure paints a different picture, when referring to an ESC in one of our planes.

BTW...... don't you just love spellcheck? A curse on us all from programmers.....
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Nov 28, 2014, 08:56 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,268 Posts
Yep spell ck gets me every time
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Nov 30, 2014, 02:46 AM
EDF Vulcan To The Sky
Near Koblenz, Germany
Joined Jul 2002
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymak View Post
That caused me to think I’d build a SR-71 Blackbird. Checked the net and found there are no plans or kits available. Now that’s a challenge, I’ll build one from scratch. Found “SR-71.org” /blackbird/diagrams lower left corner and printed out the diagram with dimensions. From this I am building one with what I call creative engineering. Been working on it for almost two years. Is it a blackbird? All I can say is, it looks like one. Will post pics when complete.
Would love to see pics. Btw, there is a plan available

http://casadabalsa.com/DigitalPlans/...duct&id_lang=7

After some research I got in contact with Buzz Evans. He has the most recent version of the plans and sells some parts for the model.

http://www.sunsetmodels.biz/sr-71-blackbird.html

I've got most of the parts in the workshop but worked only on the construction of the fins yet. Obviously we're not getting enough snow here.

Good luck with your project!
Radar-Guy is offline Find More Posts by Radar-Guy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Jepe Hunter