HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2014, 02:43 PM
Joined Nov 2014
9 Posts
Rant
RC Hobbies - Houston, TX. - Katy FWY - Sucks

I purchased the Phoenix Flight Sim with the Spektrum DX6i controller last night a few minutes before they were closing. $300.00 bucks. Got home. Doesn't work on my desktop or laptop.

Went back to return it for store credit around 11:30 today. Not a refund. I picked out the DX6i and was about to get a plane. It would have been over $300.00.

The guy at the counter was pretty helpful. When he had to ask the owner about the return, that's when it went bad.

The owner of RC Hobbies on the Katy FWY is an a******. He wouldn't let me return it or even make an even exchange plus a few dollars more.

He tried to say I went home and made copies and switched controllers and all kinds of other s***. Then he said he can't resell it. They could discount that package and still make a profit. Bottom line is, they suck.

It was all still packed up in the original packaging. The cd from the flight sim was already opened in the box but the main box was sealed.

I have spent a few dollars there but this is the end. What a bunch of s***. So now, Im out three hundred bucks.

I hope you read this RC Hobbies. You suck and I will be sure to spread the word through the RC Plane community out at the fields.
a88ls is offline Find More Posts by a88ls
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2014, 02:49 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,463 Posts
Don't give up yet on the Sim. have you called the Phoenix flight sim help desk? Phoenix is a big name in flight sims. We can solve this problem for you.

Explain what is not working and the experts here can solve the problem so you are not out any money and you soon will enjoying your flight Sim.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Nov 11, 2014, 03:05 PM
Joined Nov 2014
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Don't give up yet on the Sim. have you called the Phoenix flight sim help desk? Phoenix is a big name in flight sims. We can solve this problem for you.

Explain what is not working and the experts here can solve the problem so you are not out any money and you soon will enjoying your flight Sim.

Frank
I tried all night. My desktop is XP. The cd-rom just wouldn't read it. I put a music cd in to see if that would work. It didn't. Then I tried a dvd and it wouldn't play that either.

My laptop is Toshiba AMD Satellite C55t-A.

When I put the cd in, it just hangs. I waited for 20 minutes or more just to see if it would ever read it. It never did. Then I tried music and a dvd. No luck. For whatever reason, neither will read the sim or any cd/dvd.

I tried everything I could think of. I even thought about 100% formatting both to factory standards.

No. I haven't tried to call. I didn't know they cared about their customers. That's a plus. I will try to call them here in a few minutes.

Thanks Frank.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 03:14 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,729 Posts
Sounds like you have a computer problem, not a software problem. Do you know anyone with an external CD/DVD drive? If you do, then plug it in and see if you read it then. CD/DVD drives go bad all the time and they're cheap as beans. There's one screw in the bottom of the laptop that you remove. The old one slides out, the new one slides in and you replace the screw.

For older laptops, I've found used, non-working laptops on eBay and swapped out parts I need.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Nov 11, 2014, 03:22 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,463 Posts
Agree, it sounds like a CD drive problem and not a Sim problem. Do you have a friend you can try the CD out with just to confirm?

Give that a try and let us know how that goes.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Nov 11, 2014, 03:25 PM
Joined Nov 2014
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Sounds like you have a computer problem, not a software problem. Do you know anyone with an external CD/DVD drive? If you do, then plug it in and see if you read it then. CD/DVD drives go bad all the time and they're cheap as beans. There's one screw in the bottom of the laptop that you remove. The old one slides out, the new one slides in and you replace the screw.

For older laptops, I've found used, non-working laptops on eBay and swapped out parts I need.
That's kind of what I was thinking. From the specs on the box, both my computers are compatible. I'll try to find a friend with an external and see what happens. If that fails, new cd rom time I guess.

Thank you Rockin Robbins
Old Nov 11, 2014, 04:37 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
Sooo, it's not RC hobbies but your computer that sucks?

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Nov 11, 2014, 05:02 PM
Joined Nov 2014
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Sooo, it's not RC hobbies but your computer that sucks?

mw
I never said the Sim sucked. Their customer service sucks. I was ready to spend more money than the credit. Denied! I'm also a repeat customer.

I'm sure the Sim works fine. I just wanted a new plane and controller more than a new pc. And he can resell the Sim discounted and still make money.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 06:13 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,473 Posts
Most software cannot be returned anywhere if opened because of piracy issues.... no surprise there.
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Nov 11, 2014, 06:36 PM
Canada, ON, Leamington
Joined Aug 2014
48 Posts
I would say it time to dump XP... even MS does not support it anymore
mgfiest is offline Find More Posts by mgfiest
Old Nov 12, 2014, 08:10 AM
Joined Feb 2014
4 Posts
PM me if you consider selling the software with discount price. I am in Houston TX
thangdinh is offline Find More Posts by thangdinh
Old Nov 12, 2014, 09:21 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,729 Posts
XP is fine as long as it's not connected to the Internet. As time goes by software won't be compatible with it, but for now you're fine IF.......you aren't connected to the Internet.

Even connected to the Internet with updated virus protection, spyware and PUP protection, plus a decent firewall the scare tactics are much greater than the actual threat. But you're on your own. Back up your system religiously so if you catch a piece of malware all you have to do is restore your backup and you're virus free. Don't fall for some hokey "file backup" scheme. You need a backup disk image so you can restore absolutely everything, operating system, programs, settings, bookmarks/favorites, e-mail addresses, e-mail messages.......all the things you lose if you fall for the file backup bait.

And begin a search for a legitimate copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. I think you'll need it for a long time the way Microsoft is going. We're all going to have to wait until they start actually serving their customers again.

Me? I'm spending quite a bit of time with Linux. Plan for the worst. Hope for the best.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Nov 12, 2014, 09:40 AM
Joined Nov 2014
9 Posts
Is there any chance someone here can help me pick out a laptop that will be compatible?

I bought the Sim to use it and now that I'm stuck with it, I may as well use it.

I would prefer a laptop. Would this one work?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-11-...at138500050001

I would like to keep the price as low as possible.

Thank you.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:17 AM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
1,082 Posts
No, that's a Chromebook, essentially a glorified web browser running on the Linux kernel. Chromebooks are useless for anything that is not web based. Phoenix requires a PC running Windows.

Virtually any WIndows PC on the market will work, though personally I wouldn't buy something right now unless you can find something with Windows 7, Win8 is vile IMHO. Windows 10 (they skipped 9) is shaping up to potentially be almost as good as Win7, still ugly and flat UI but at least usable.

At any rate I'd bet money you've got a dead optical drive. If you pull it out and check the model number you can probably buy a replacement for little money if the rest of the PC is fine. I've still got XP on my little notebook and Phoenix runs fine on that. As long as you keep your browser (not using IE I hope) and antivirus up to date and use sensible behavior XP is fine. If you want to go the external route, I've seen USB DVD-ROM drives for under $20. As for the hobby shop, as has been mentioned, it's pretty much universal that software cannot be returned once it has been opened, hard to blame them for that.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:53 PM
Joined Nov 2014
9 Posts
Thanks James and Robbins.

After getting over being mad, I decided that it's time for a new computer anyway. I have been wanting to donate a bunch of stuff before Christmas. I'll format them both and add them to the collection of other stuff.

Thanks on the heads up about Windows 7 & 8 and the Chromebook. I found a Windows 7 desktop that is affordable. I'll be picking it up later today.

Thank you for reading and helping.