HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:38 PM
Raptor90
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
179 Posts
This is a Composite ARF Spark i am resurecting. As i understand it is some sort of a glass/foam sandwich which makes me even more nervous about using chemicals. For now i am too busy to get back on it so this will most likely be another long term project to get it back to the original paint and start over.
raptor90 is offline Find More Posts by raptor90
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:06 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
The reason I suggested stripper is because I used it to strip a Corvette.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:30 PM
S.F. Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2005
720 Posts
I looked at the online yellow pages for your area. I searched for sandblasters. There is one sandblasting company in your area who's yellow pages add says that they also do soda blasting.

Soda blasting is a form of sandblasting using a much less abrasive media than sand (basically baking soda). You might want to take your fuselage there, and ask if they can safely blast it clean, without damaging the part. Ask to see samples of similar things they have blasted in the past.

If you get it blasted remember to clean it after words with a surface prep cleaner. Don't submerge the part in the cleaner, just put the cleaner on a rag, and wipe the fuselage with the rag. Keep the rag wet so it actually cleans the contamination from the fuselage, and doesn't just spread it around. Make sure to re-clean the fuselage, just before you apply any paint to it.
Ken Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Ken Barnes
Old Jun 18, 2014, 08:36 AM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor90 View Post
At this point i will most likely just give it to a pro but if i do decide to try it again i will certainly consider using a remover if i can be sure it will not harm the fuse.
Raptor:

Sorry to hear about your problems with the paint but I thought I would offer some input.

I have used spray cans to paint some of my models but there are some I will and will not use. I have found the Rustoleum and Krylon brands to work well. I have also used Duplicolor but ended up going back to the Rustoleum. I use the Rustoleum 2 in 1 primer for priming and then whatever color you like. My experience has been that the Rustoleum provides a slightly glossier finish than the Krylon. If using Krylon DO NOT use the Fusion brand as it will come out as a semi-gloss.

One of the things that a lot of people do not think of when refinishing a plane is the previous material (paint) under the surface. When refinishing a model, it is imperative that you must "seal" the old paint material from bleeding thru into the new primer/paint. The way I do it is to get all of the repairs/filling/sanding done. I then spray a surface/sealer on the part. Once the sealer/surface has dried (I give them about a day if using spray cans) I then apply the Rustoleum 2 in 1 primer. Once this is done, I then lightly sand the primer with 400 grit paper sanded wet. It is important NOT to sand thru the primer you just applied or you will have to reapply the surface/sealer. Once the Rustoleum has dried (again leave for about a day) then apply the color. I usually apply one fairly light "misting" coat. I let this "tack" for about 10-15 minutes, then apply a medium coat. Let this dry for about a hour and then apply your final wet coat.

With regards to striping the fuse, I would not use a blasting method as it might remove some of the resin from the part. I have stripped a number of planes over the last few years and I have been using a product called Citristrip. This is a non toxic liquid that I have found will remove even catalyzed auto paint.
http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=36&prodid=63

This product WILL NOT harm fiberglass and I would highly recommend it. Here are a few threads on refinishing models.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2070508

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2139211

Best of luck on your project.
Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Jun 18, 2014, 06:50 PM
Raptor90
Joined Jun 2008
179 Posts
Thanks for the advice Ed. The bottom line is that i simply do not have the time needed to finish a project like this. I spent months repairing the jet and getting it ready for finishing but failed to do enough research before trying to paint it. The repairs turned out wonderful and i was very happy that i was able to resurrect this jet but again, when it came to finishing i did not think ahead and the results are obvious. I have posted it for sale but have little faith that i will be able to sell it at a price that is reasonable for both parties. I anticipate that i will at some point begin the process of sanding it back down and trying again but i have no doubt that it will take months to accomplish that. Again, thanks for all the help and hopefully one day i can post positive results.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 06:56 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
Wet sand it. You may surprised at how fast it goes, once you "break" the top paint layer.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jun 18, 2014, 08:28 PM
Raptor90
Joined Jun 2008
179 Posts
This look better? I have a bit more work to do but i think i have found the solution thanks to Dave at the local Advance Auto Parts. Seems like it was just a case of excess moisture between the spray can and living in SW Florida. A little rubbing with polishing compound and it looks much better. I have a couple of places where the paint is light so i will add another coat and then polish and finish with a coat of wax and maybe this thing will shine. Probably won't get invited to the next TopGun but at 150+ at the local flying field, who cares. Again, thanks for all the help guys!