HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2014, 02:42 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
First thing Pete, you won't regret buying a Pulsar - don't be put off.
And, if you are going to jump in the pool, go head on if you can afford it. I've had most of the Pulsars except the big 4 metre jawn and the 3.6 is far and away to best flying of the lot. Just the jump from 3.2 to 3.6 is very noticable. Just do it.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2014, 02:51 PM
Maryland
Joined Dec 2002
414 Posts
I'm a bit late BUT what servos do you have on the flaps? If they are to small or way under wired they may not come down at high speed and any elv comp will cause a dive.
rc4fun is offline Find More Posts by rc4fun
Old Dec 17, 2014, 03:18 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,275 Posts
Hyperion ds095. The flaps were down, and and the recovery was immediate on retracting the flaps
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Dec 17, 2014, 09:13 PM
Joined May 2013
361 Posts
I'm curious guys, say you had enough money for a 2 meter Pulsar but that same kind of bread can get you a 3 meter glider made in China . What's the pros and cons here?

Thanks in advance and again for the clarifications and such.

Pete
Petepala1961 is offline Find More Posts by Petepala1961
Old Dec 17, 2014, 09:24 PM
Klutzsquatch
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Oct 2006
395 Posts
my experience is that in general the eastern european country/soviet block ships are better quality than that of the asian produced ones.

Just my two cents worth. The Pulsars are quality product that i consider equal to the ships Vladimir fabricates.
mgroves is offline Find More Posts by mgroves
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:25 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Oct 2009
330 Posts
Hey Pete - I have said here and in other forums that the Pulsar 3.6 is a remarkable piece of work. I have flown all kinds of aircraft over 40+ years and this plane is an absolute JOY to fly. It does it's job (in this case - soaring / indicating lift / circling in lift / landing on a spot / etc) better than anything I have ever flown. The engineering and construction are absolutely top notch. You will not find the same characteristics in something from China at half the price. Outward appearances can be copied but the attention to detail and the overall performance of the package cannot.
signing off from my soapbox...
>Thom
olythom is offline Find More Posts by olythom
Old Dec 18, 2014, 03:53 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepala1961 View Post
I'm curious guys, say you had enough money for a 2 meter Pulsar but that same kind of bread can get you a 3 meter glider made in China . What's the pros and cons here?

Thanks in advance and again for the clarifications and such.

Pete
The hard part about a budget model for me is you are buying an unknown usually with no track record, whereas the Pulsar family has been through several generations and has a genuine pedigree.

Not a glider, but I've just retired a small sport model after 3 or 4 flights because the stab incidence is so far out the thing is unflyable - and it's not feasible to modify the way the stab is slotted thru the rear fuse. My point is it should never have gotten out of a factory into a shop as the design flaw was that obvious - that's what you risk when you buy an unknown.

Given the weight and aerodynamics of the Pulsar 2m, it's unlikely a 3m especially one built down to a price will fly any better - about the only potential benefit is going to be able to fly it farther away and still see it. But unless it can match the sink rate and glide angle of the Pulsar, even that might not be much benefit if you don't catch the same thermals.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:25 PM
Joined May 2013
361 Posts
Thanks guys for the input I truly appreciate your insights.

Pete
Petepala1961 is offline Find More Posts by Petepala1961
Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigli View Post
Hi to all
I see moustly is used motor Hacker B20 L for Pulsar 2m
How essential is to use motor with gear box and what is advantage of it - next to brushless without gearbox?

Also will with time, gear box first show sign of wear (grinding)-as weak point..... while motor would be still in good condition?
Thanks a lot
Best, Boris
An in-runner motor like the B-20 with gear box will fit better into the narrow nose of a Pulsar.
I have Hacker B-20 15L +4.1 motors in two Pulsar 2ms, and never had any problems with them. I use Graupner 10X6 props, with RMF spinners on a 3S LiPo.
They are little jewels.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Yesterday at 09:12 PM.