HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:41 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,489 Posts
AR6400 6 Channel Brick

I used the 6 channel brick and its additional ports due block the path of the control rod a bit. I had to bend the wire end and build a little clearance over the ports. See my terrible picture in my last post showing the board in use.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:50 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
You could easily use that brick. Might need some slight mods to mount it, but nothing major. You have to be careful about the CG as any and all mass increases that fall behind the CG can make it tough to counteract with the short nose moment of this aircraft.

In just reviewing the plans, the P-51 is a longer brick. That said the brick also sits in the CG area. I would do it, if thats any consolation.

Best wishes,
Ken
yeah, I found that with the 4-Site brick I used. I will probably move it farther forward in the next one
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:54 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I used the 6 channel brick and its additional ports due block the path of the control rod a bit. I had to bend the wire end and build a little clearance over the ports. See my terrible picture in my last post showing the board in use.
yeah, I get some interference like Tom and i also had the extra long P-51 motor wire I used get caught in one of the linear servo gears. I will do better on number 2
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:28 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,617 Posts
Just found out about the existence of this bird, which has me scouting around for Champ bricks.

A word of advice regarding the DX6i and elevons, it's a known flaw/feature/PITA of the DX6i that throw is cut in half when you use it in elevon mode. People have done mixes to address that for a while, but I found out about it while trying to get proper throw on my EPP Eagle (ironically I moved that plane to a DX7s in part to avoid that and it's still awaiting maiden).

I can try and find the post and thread where the solution was posted, I also found a number of Youtube videos dealing with the mix programming.

I had thought I had crap servos etc etc it turns out my radio was crippling my throws.
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:52 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
I used a 4-Site brick but you have to be careful as it tosses the added weight/length behind the CG making it tail heavy. One of the local guys couldn't get the directions to work for the throws with the brick on the bottom and a DX6i so he transferred it to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
Just found out about the existence of this bird, which has me scouting around for Champ bricks.

A word of advice regarding the DX6i and elevons, it's a known flaw/feature/PITA of the DX6i that throw is cut in half when you use it in elevon mode. People have done mixes to address that for a while, but I found out about it while trying to get proper throw on my EPP Eagle (ironically I moved that plane to a DX7s in part to avoid that and it's still awaiting maiden).

I can try and find the post and thread where the solution was posted, I also found a number of Youtube videos dealing with the mix programming.

I had thought I had crap servos etc etc it turns out my radio was crippling my throws.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:22 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Hey just wanted to post up my completed micro stingray! Was going to make the whole thing myself but couldn't help but order it pre cut from Ken when I saw the price (especially since this is my first build besides helies).

This thing went together super easy and the only curveball, besides bending pushrods for the first time, was having to add a slight bit of nose weight to get CG correct. Aside from that it was a breeze and she flies great!

Thanks Ken for the great product and support! Now for a paint job...
volksfreak65 is offline Find More Posts by volksfreak65
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:17 PM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
361 Posts
What a great design. I have just built a 19" version and put in an AR6400 and 1 cell brushless setup. This was my second indoor flight in a fairly small hall. I need more aileron movement for quicker rolls, so am going to change the AR6400 to an AR6400L for flying in a large indoor tennis dome tomorrow.

Kevin

Micro Stingray (2 min 19 sec)
rcpaintfx is offline Find More Posts by rcpaintfx
Old Mar 23, 2013, 08:17 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,742 Posts
Kevin,
Looks like she was groov'in around just wonderfully. Something that I have enjoyed immensely with this design.

Really liked the score of music in the video. Care to share what it was?

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Mar 24, 2013, 04:17 PM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
361 Posts
Hi Ken

The music. I just checked my mates video and it says:

Artist: Dax Johnson
Song:Child's Garden
Album:Levity

Another video in a bigger indoor venue today. Loads of the guys here today were asking where they could get one of these planes from and I directed them to here to download the plan and get building.

Micro StingRay Hele School (5 min 33 sec)
rcpaintfx is offline Find More Posts by rcpaintfx
Last edited by rcpaintfx; Mar 24, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:05 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,742 Posts
Nice video Kevin! It is gratifying just watching it in flight.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:27 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
685 Posts
Kevin, Amazingly a 24" with hk 10g will fly in the small Gym. If you haven't tried it, roll over and fly upside down. The micro built as per plan with champ gear is the easiest plane to fly upside down with that I have.
JCS
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Old Mar 31, 2013, 02:26 PM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Aug 2005
542 Posts
2mm micro Stingray.

Ok i decided to build a micro stingray because of the simplicity of the build and the fact that i never flown an elevon plane. I fly 3d so it shouldn't be a problem but i'm curious to where the CG should be? i know on the plans it says 1.75in from nose LE but i made my MS out of 2mm depron instead of 3. It's even lighter at a mere 22g with a 1s 160mah 25c batt. Should i keep the CG where is @ 1.75in from LE as it seems very nose heavy when i try to glide it?
Nooflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nooflyer
Old Mar 31, 2013, 02:56 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooflyer View Post
Ok i decided to build a micro stingray because of the simplicity of the build and the fact that i never flown an elevon plane. I fly 3d so it shouldn't be a problem but i'm curious to where the CG should be? i know on the plans it says 1.75in from nose LE but i made my MS out of 2mm depron instead of 3. It's even lighter at a mere 22g with a 1s 160mah 25c batt. Should i keep the CG where is @ 1.75in from LE as it seems very nose heavy when i try to glide it?
CG is aerodynamic so it should be in the same place. Flying wings need the CG at 15% MAC so it's more forward than it would be on a plane with a tail (25-30% MAC). Excellent on the weight!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2013, 03:00 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooflyer View Post
As long as you have not scaled the wingspan, CG will still be in the same place. Go fly it. You will be pleasantly suprised and even more so being 4 g lighter.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2013, 04:10 PM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
252 Posts
Has anybody flown one of these micro stingrays outdoors? I don't have an indoor flying field.

My champ is in the hangar, having burned out its sixth or seventh motor in the past 6 months. (I've lost count.) I think I'm burning them out from flying with 5043 props --- too much drag from the champ, combined with too much pull from the 5043 is killing my motors, I think.

Anyway, this stingray looks like a good use for my Champ brick; it definitely will have less drag, and hopefully less wear on the motors --- but can I fly it outdoors?
FunkeyMonk is offline Find More Posts by FunkeyMonk
Last edited by FunkeyMonk; Mar 31, 2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: removed ridiculous extra apostrophe