HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2014, 01:48 AM
USA, FL, Safety Harbor
Joined Sep 2000
156 Posts
V tail mod for Calypso

I was introduced to the advantages of V tails with Mark Allen's Electric Storm warm liner in the 90's . I salvaged the stab and fin from a beginners crashed Calypso and used the stab to fashion a V tail for temporary viewing on the Calypso fuselage. It has less surface area and weight compared to the stock cruciform tail. I plan to make it removable and will find out how she handles some time in Jan.
VicT is offline Find More Posts by VicT
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2014, 05:53 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
538 Posts
To Flap or Not To Flap

Been lurking for a while, reading the thread from beginning to end. I am a beginning intermediate and have been flying my 3-channel radian for a season. Setting up my new Calypso and am at the "do I install flaps or not" decision point.

From what I have read, using the stock setup and programming spoilerons in my DX9 would be more effective for constained landing situations, or spot landings, than using flaps. And, adding the flaps only adds weight.

With spoilerons, I know I would lose some authority from the ailerons, but I am comfortable with the rudder.

So, before I bind, what advantage would I have with flaps over spoilerons?

Thanks,
Don in Portland OR
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old Dec 13, 2014, 06:12 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,196 Posts
Why not program both? I have. Spoilers on the ailerons ( on Mix toggle ) and of course, flaps on flaps.

Oh! I forgot a little flaps helps with more lift as you float slowly by....
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:57 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Why not program both? I have. Spoilers on the ailerons ( on Mix toggle ) and of course, flaps on flaps.

Oh! I forgot a little flaps helps with more lift as you float slowly by....
What servos did you use for flaps? I have some Hitec 55s? Also, do you have flaps on a y harness or independent and should I put in a higher capacity esc?

Don
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:42 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,196 Posts
55s are just fine, I have Tower Pros in mine which are basically the same. My flaps are Y harnessed. And I have a 25 or 35amp electrify esc in mine. IMHO, a higher capacity esc are fine for added security.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Dec 14, 2014, 02:55 AM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
538 Posts
Actually, I have a pair of HS 65 mg servos and a 30amp esc... know what I am doing tomorrow
Old Dec 14, 2014, 04:01 PM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,259 Posts
Crow/Butterfly

Have you ever tried the Crow/Butterfly configuration for landing? Flaps down and ailerons up as spoilerons. You still have some authority with the aileron stick and can bring the plane down at a 45 degree angle without gaining a lot of speed. Really handy for short landing space. I have also deployed it while in a strong thermal to help slow down and stay in the lift column. There are many ways to set this up. Fancy transmitters can do it with the flip of one switch. I usually have the flaps on one switch and the spoilerons on a separate switch. Try this first at the 3 mistake altitude of course. The up spoilerons add some washout and help prevent tip stalls.

YMMV and good luck,
Rich
rloose is offline Find More Posts by rloose