HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Razors edge 29, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:11 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,317 Posts
Cool
Home made Light kit for Hobby Zone Champ micro R.c. plane

Well today I decided to make a home made light kit for my hobby zone champ; it kind of messy but works till I get the tiny brite lights kit later this summer.

I used the EFlite Blade CX3 LED kit, took it apart and wired it up for 2 lights per wing, one blinking LED for bow and stern. This LED setup is using its own power source, via a parkzone Vapor 70 Mah battery.

I test flew tonight, and tried to dial in CG, but it was kind of windy but with a little trim worked well. The placement of the light kit battery made the plane glide very well by keeping some weight on the tail; it would glide pretty close to level without power, but corning was not as good due to excess weight and CG being off.

Still, it is fun for now

see attached for pics/vid on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFavQCz_m5k
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:49 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,856 Posts
Looks awesome dude!

Something I learned the hard way is that if you're unsure about CoG, it's better to be nose heavy than tailheavy. They say a nose heavy plane will fly many time where as a tail heavy plane flys once

You can put your fingers under the wing close to the fuselage and find out where it balances; usually, it's closer to the front of the wing.
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:54 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,317 Posts
Thanks man

I took it off, and will be using this kit eventually

http://flightlights.net/microsub.html

they work great I am told

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Chevy View Post
Looks awesome dude!

Something I learned the hard way is that if you're unsure about CoG, it's better to be nose heavy than tailheavy. They say a nose heavy plane will fly many time where as a tail heavy plane flys once

You can put your fingers under the wing close to the fuselage and find out where it balances; usually, it's closer to the front of the wing.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:56 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,856 Posts
^^I've heard good things about them!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:59 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,317 Posts
best part is they weight .9 grams.

I also have a GWS 5043 prop on route with prop adapters, plus the UMP51 motor, and already have Hyperion 30C 160 and 240 batts, and those coupled with this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180487600644

should be pretty cool

Micros planes are cool man, and this is only 89.00 and worth every penny, plus it handles winds well

you know you want one lol

Quote:
^^I've heard good things about them!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:30 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,856 Posts
That' s the cam I use too. I'm surprised it can handle the weight.

I love that keycam, it's great to have in your pocket too. I tape it to the brim of my hat and it works well as a hat cam.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:39 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,317 Posts
I have heard good things about them; and ppl have already used it on the champ......... cool eh?

Quote:
That' s the cam I use too. I'm surprised it can handle the weight.

I love that keycam, it's great to have in your pocket too. I tape it to the brim of my hat and it works well as a hat cam.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:18 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,856 Posts
Yup cool!

So I got a call from a friend who's hubby's B-day is coming up, he just got into rc cars and is curious about planes. His sis wants to get him a plane and when asked to recommend a newbie plane, the first thing that came to mind was the Champ so it looks like I may be able to get a closer look at one!

Ryan, can you do me a favor? Can you take a snap shot of the battery compartment? Apparently you can put a 350mah lipo in for 15min flfights.....just like the MSR. I have two 210mah lipos that I will present to him in a pretty jewelery case for earings for his B-day, should be priceless! I just want to be sure they will fit in the plane without too much trimming of foam.

Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:45 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,317 Posts
The slot is same width of lipo but longer; you'd hav to use velco. The 240 Hyperion offer longer flight times as well.

He'll love the champ; I'll take a pIc tonight.

Quote:
Yup cool!

So I got a call from a friend who's hubby's B-day is coming up, he just got into rc cars and is curious about planes. His sis wants to get him a plane and when asked to recommend a newbie plane, the first thing that came to mind was the Champ so it looks like I may be able to get a closer look at one!

Ryan, can you do me a favor? Can you take a snap shot of the battery compartment? Apparently you can put a 350mah lipo in for 15min flfights.....just like the MSR. I have two 210mah lipos that I will present to him in a pretty jewelery case for earings for his B-day, should be priceless! I just want to be sure they will fit in the plane without too much trimming of foam.

Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:44 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,317 Posts
Actually Rob; in my vid there are pics of underbelly.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:07 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,856 Posts
Ah yes, I see! Thanks
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:50 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,317 Posts
NO probs
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:50 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Nice One Razor
I really want to do some nav lights for my champ they look TOP !
just out of interest on landing there was a fair bit of ballooning ,was that because you ended up landing into the wind ?
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:53 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,317 Posts
wind yes and the battery wasn't cooperating with COG

I dont use these lights anymore,

I'd get the tinybritelights.com set and its only 1 gram and looks way better than one I made lol
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:56 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
wind yes and the battery wasn't cooperating with COG

I dont use these lights anymore,

I'd get the tinybritelights.com set and its only 1 gram and looks way better than one I made lol
Any vids on TB installation ?
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...