New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:47 AM
Find More Posts by 19Graham91
Merseyside, UK
Joined Aug 2007
287 Posts
Build Log
Cermark/Overlander Edge 49" Build

Another new one from overlander, this time the edge 540 49" model.

Nicely packaged and in top condition, all the parts are taped down to avoid any damage and the kit contents is great.

Theres a comprehensive hardware pack, coprising of all kinds of fixtures and fittings, fibre glass horns for both servos and control surfaces and all the usually bits and bobs.

First glances:

19Graham91 is offline Find More Posts by 19Graham91
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:47 AM
Merseyside, UK
Joined Aug 2007
287 Posts
When unwrapping the parts there are some nice little features that have been added in order to minimise the work for the builder.

The servo cutouts have the trim removed, so it really is just a case of screwing ther servo in! This is also true of the side of the fuz, for the wing pins, wing tube etc, all trim is removed for you.

Heres the harware pack:

And the horns for both servos and control surfaces
Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:49 AM
Merseyside, UK
Joined Aug 2007
287 Posts
Next thing to do is to hinge the ailerons, all slots are pre cut and so dead straight forward.

After this adding the horns to the ailerons, and then adding the servos to the wing, I am using Hitec HS65bbs on the wings.
Although the horns provided with the kit are superb, I am using the horns that come with the servos as these prove to be the right length as well.

Completed wing assembly:

Plenty of excess rod for adjustment:
Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:49 AM
Merseyside, UK
Joined Aug 2007
287 Posts
Next is the under crackers and wheel assembly.

The slots are all pre cut in the fuz even for the undercarriage.

A nice snug fit in the fuz and then its a case of screwing it down with the bolts provided, again all the claw nuts are pre installed and line up with the corresponding holes in the UC perfectly.

Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:50 AM
Merseyside, UK
Joined Aug 2007
287 Posts
The tailplane and elevator are next.

The tailplane needs the trim cutting to ensure a wood to wood glue joint so the covering needs to be removed once correctly aligned.

Important point to note, the connecting metal rod between the two elevator halves needs to be put in to the pre cut slot in the fuz before the tailplane is glued on, once this is done the tail plane can be glued and the hinges glued in as well.

And then the elevator can be attached side by side and then the hinges glued. The metal rod connecting them provides more than adequate support and I would not think about the need to use two servos here.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:51 AM
Merseyside, UK
Joined Aug 2007
287 Posts
Onwards we go.

Next is the fin, like the tailplane the trim has to be cut, very straightforward and then its a case of attaching it, followed by the tailwheel and rudder.

The rudder horn can now be glued in as well as the elevator control horn.
All the slots are pre cut, just a case of removing the covering and pushing the horn in.

I also found now a good time to install the elevator servo, I am using the Hitec HS65MG for the elevator.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:52 AM
Merseyside, UK
Joined Aug 2007
287 Posts
Next job is the motor mount, this slots right in to place and is then pushed down a few mm to clip in to the corresponding slots on the inside to prevent it from coming loose, there are also two triangular pices to support the frame (included) and once in place can all be glued.

At this stage the cooling ducts are added, these have to be cut in half and then glued to the wooden frame to direct the airflow over the motor to keep it cool when running.

View from the front showing the cooling ducts and the motor mount, covered with a layer of flibre glass for extra strength.

I found now was a good time to mount the speed controller as well, I am using the Tornado 60A speedo with BEC.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:53 AM
Merseyside, UK
Joined Aug 2007
287 Posts
The rudder servo I am using the Hitec HS225 mini servo, and for it to sit in the servo tray provided is slightly bigger than the hole that is cut, intended for a Hitec 81 primarily, so it required opening up slightly, but there is still plenty of strength left here with this servo.

I added a small basa plate in between the the battery tray and the rudder servo tray to accept the servo battery (a Tornado 2S 450mAh pack) and the receiver (A Hitec Electron 6)

Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:53 AM
Merseyside, UK
Joined Aug 2007
287 Posts
Last thing is spats, these slot over the wheels and attach with 2 screws, the spats themselves have a wooden block on the inside to accept the screws, all fibre glassed in!

The only other thing to do now is the motor and screw the cowl in, just haven't got the motor at the moment, will attach piccies when it comes to complete the thread, but I will be using the Tornado 3548 when it comes.

So heres some piccies of the model almost completed, little beauty isn't she!
Love the colour scheme it really suits this model, couple of stickers out of the array you get with the model to finish it off.

Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:00 AM
Find More Posts by Eagleburger
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,392 Posts
NIce paint scheme, I like it more than mine.

Not much to do on these Arfs, i like them so much i have nine. Enjoy the build err assemble.
Eagleburger is offline Find More Posts by Eagleburger
Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:02 AM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,392 Posts
See what I mean. In the time it took me to write my last post you finnished the model
Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:04 AM
Merseyside, UK
Joined Aug 2007
287 Posts
thanks for the comments, it good to know, if it flies anything like the extra it'll be a winner.

The build time was just insane, I had it done in a couple of hours tops, there is just so little you need to do to get this flying, just a shame I don't have the motor yet, but will be sure to get some flying pics and video when it arrives!
Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:14 AM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,392 Posts
One recomendation is to beef up the firewall, especially if you have more than 450watts. I just used 3mm balsa with the grain orientated 45deg. I have done this to all me EP series. The edge sometimes cops 650wattsand is still together.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:21 AM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Graham91
thanks for the comments, it good to know, if it flies anything like the extra it'll be a winner.

The build time was just insane, I had it done in a couple of hours tops, there is just so little you need to do to get this flying, just a shame I don't have the motor yet, but will be sure to get some flying pics and video when it arrives!
The extra is a sweet flying bird, I had over 400 flights on my 49" 260. I flew my 55" today, I forgot how good it does fly.

My edge frame was 70grams heavier than the extra so I gave up on lightweight and put a bigger motor and battery in it for vertical drag racing. So it never flew as good as the extra. I am going to go back to lipo in these birds and will put in a smaller motor so I will see how it goes then.

Dam that is a fine looking bird you have there. I have one still in the box i was going to do in redbull colours.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:30 AM
Merseyside, UK
Joined Aug 2007
287 Posts
cheers for the advice, will keep an eye on that as I will be using a 700W motor, same as I was using in my extra!

I have got the 55" extra sat there as well, just need to get round to building it! But I have flown one and was very impressed with it.