SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 18, 2015, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
524 Posts
Help!
Changesun 10 Blade EDF Unit

Hello all, recently purchased a Changesun 10 blade EDF unit. The seller stated it was new and never used but when i received it the hardware package only included a 4mm adapter. This was ok as my motor has a 4mm shaft. My major concern is that when the motor is mounted in the fan housing and the adapter is put on the shaft and the fan is tightened down against the compression ring, the shaft adapter rubs on the housing and the fan will not spin. Has anyone run into this problem before? I'm sure I could carefully dremel out where its rubbing but its very close to where the motor mount bolts go through the fan housing. It does not sound ideal to weaken the motor mount area by removing material in this area.

Any thoughts?
MIGPILOT44 is online now Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2015, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by Chris True
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
9,280 Posts
As you tighten it moves back. Pull it forward a bit then tighten...
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old May 18, 2015, 12:09 PM
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
524 Posts
I've tried that a couple times, to get it to lock down on the shaft just forward of the housing but it still seems to want to drag on the inside of the motor mount area.

I'll keep trying your method if you are saying this is what works..........

Thanks for the reply!
Old May 18, 2015, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by St. Martin
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,752 Posts
I don't use the supplied adapters, with the CS fans. They are usually too loose and sometimes even bored off center. Tams, Efflux and Extreme, all carry adapters that are correct, in either 3.17mm or 4mm. Well worth the price. Save the CS adapters for a prop job.

Question, does the shroud have 4 stators or more? The V-1 has 4 stators, and these all had bad adapters. Some of the newer V2 and V3 adapters were improved, but it was still a hit and miss on quality. There is a huge thread on the CS-10. There are certain requirements for operating these high load fans. One is minimum 100%FSA intake area and 60-61mm dia exhaust(100%).

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old May 18, 2015, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by Chris True
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
9,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGPILOT44 View Post
I've tried that a couple times, to get it to lock down on the shaft just forward of the housing but it still seems to want to drag on the inside of the motor mount area.

I'll keep trying your method if you are saying this is what works..........

Thanks for the reply!
It does work. If you are still having difficulty, insert 2 or 3 shims of 1/64" ply between the back of the rotor and the motor mount. Set the rotor against the shims, tighten, then pull the shims out.

One other tip that may help, put just a tiny amount of grease on the tapered cone part of the adapter, then when you drop the driver section that engages the back of the rotor on it will tend to tighten a little easier.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old May 18, 2015, 01:03 PM
Find More Posts by erh7771
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
6,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGPILOT44 View Post
Hello all, recently purchased a Changesun 10 blade EDF unit. The seller stated it was new and never used but when i received it the hardware package only included a 4mm adapter. This was ok as my motor has a 4mm shaft. My major concern is that when the motor is mounted in the fan housing and the adapter is put on the shaft and the fan is tightened down against the compression ring, the shaft adapter rubs on the housing and the fan will not spin. Has anyone run into this problem before? I'm sure I could carefully dremel out where its rubbing but its very close to where the motor mount bolts go through the fan housing. It does not sound ideal to weaken the motor mount area by removing material in this area.

Any thoughts?
Hold the rotor up through the stators from the bottom of the shroud with your fingers so the top of the rotor blade are 2 - 3 cm away from the top rim of the shroud.

Start tightening the shaft adapter nut with fingers...

Never will get a rubbing shaft adapter again
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2015, 12:29 AM
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
524 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, I'm hoping to have some time tomorrow to look into this fan just a little but more.

I'll report back with as to how things work out.
Old May 20, 2015, 07:32 AM
Find More Posts by ApexAero
Aka: Tom Jenkins
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Aug 2008
4,546 Posts
My tip is to dry fit all the parts. I like to ream the center hole of the motor mount just so I can install the adapter on the motor before inserting into the housing with out interference, then test the clearance of the impeller by adjusting the adapter height. Once I have the adapter elevation set on the motor shaft, then its time to ad the motor screws for final assembly, clock the impeller and go for one billion rpm!
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: no comment
Old May 21, 2015, 02:15 PM
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
524 Posts
Thank you for all the advice, tips, and tricks to get this working right. I'm glad to hear others have run into the same problems.

I did eventually get this fan to run smooth and got it mounted in my ARC Mig 15. What a great flying EDF, I've really enjoyed this kit and can't say enough good things about it. I wish they were not out of production and easier to find here in kit format within the USA. If anyone knows where you can buy this kit either here in the USA or even overseas please let me know.

Thanks again for all the help