HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2004, 08:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
417 Posts
any one fly gliders at a power feild?

I got highstart tubing and i launch about 5 yards west of the runway upwind of where people stand towrds the south. ,they are use to me,, i will read all replies and stories and will comment under youre reply . www.highstart.blogspot.com
kewhite is offline Find More Posts by kewhite
Last edited by kewhite; Sep 09, 2004 at 06:02 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2004, 09:05 PM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,102 Posts
I used to practice F3b at my power field. I had the fastest plane there! I still fly r/c HLG and free flight there but have a better field to do the F3b practice at. No loss, it's no fun hearing the engines moaning as you soar. Yeah, I still fly power there too.
dephela is offline Find More Posts by dephela
Old Aug 16, 2004, 09:27 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Back when I had hair, we used to fly at a power field, until booted off because of fequencies, or lack of them. "Hey, you've had my peg for almost 20min now! Dump it in, I wanna fly!" was a frequent comment, usually at 120db or so. Cure, of course, was a glider field; it was easier to get (no noise), easier to keep, easier to maintain than a power field. It is still there, power field has moved a half-dozen times...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Aug 17, 2004, 12:59 AM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
How Did You Launch?

Since this is a power field, I'm assuming you used a winch or hi-start. Is that true?

Did you have to work out some arrangement to set up the winch away from the runway so as not to slow down the power planes with their takeoff lines?

I've seen some sites where they share power planes and helis, and they seem to section off different pieces of land for the different types of takeoffs. Since I mostly fly on the slope, I'm just curious.

Happy Flying ;-)

Webguyjv
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv
Old Aug 17, 2004, 09:43 AM
TLAR Black Belt
Athens, LA, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,251 Posts
I fly with the other Meridian Aeromodelers at a tiny power field. They tolerate me. I set my highstart (short, small field highstart) up just on the far side of the runway in the "rough". I mostly try to fly early (10:00AM - 1:00 PM) before the field fills up with power guys and limit flights after they are there. They are, so far, strangely reluctant to fly while I am up.

I try not to wear out my welcome there. About 3 weeks ago, I went out on a Saturday afternoon and there were about 4 guys there. I put out my high start and launched my Aquila, flying for 18 minutes. They were kinda open-mouthed that I could stay up that long with a 200' launch. I've seen them like that before. That was my only flight that day to keep from hogging the airspace; they don't want to fly when I'm up.

I am looking for a larger field I where I can fly my sailplanes, but have not gotten any permissions yet.

EJ
ejett is offline Find More Posts by ejett
Old Aug 17, 2004, 01:20 PM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguyjv
Since this is a power field, I'm assuming you used a winch or hi-start. Is that true? Webguyjv
The power fliers use the "back of the field and fly over swamp. The field to the rear of their flightline is large enough to set up a full winch line, or highstart in any direction. Frequency control is the biggest problem, one must be diligent and pay attention to traffic[new fliers showing up].

Some of the power guys have piggybacked and aerotowed GL's! This field gets used for just about everything, FAC, rocketry, etc. Glo but no "gas".
dephela is offline Find More Posts by dephela
Old Aug 17, 2004, 01:37 PM
SUNNY SOUTH
Joined Aug 2004
7 Posts
I fly at a glow feild,not to much trouble,but"us" e-power and glider fliers seem to be takeing over,lol.most of us have or have had glow/gassers.I just like going to the feild and flying,not trying to start a stuborn motor..cleaning up,ect.
we do have control pins..you cant fly without the pin,that way you cant get shot down.
it's allso fun to wach the glow guys dodge the hi-start!
SCOTTNSC is offline Find More Posts by SCOTTNSC
Old Aug 17, 2004, 03:10 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Like a Moth To The Flame

I feel dumb cause I seem to be transfixed by all of the threads started by Keith on this same topic. If memory serves, this thread and one other constitute two same-topic threads here in the Thermal forum; there is one thread in the slope forum that was recently closed by the moderator; and I think there is one thread in the Sailplane Talk forum.

I don't know why, but I seem to keep obsessing on these topical threads. I shold have the good sense to just read the other threads in the Sailplane forums and move along, but I keep on opening these threads up when I see new posts. Bad habit on my part, I admit.

All of that notwhithstanding, I can't help thinking that it would saure be great if there were any fliers that reside in the same part of the US as Keith, and they could one day visit him at his field, and watch his technique. I think one of the veteran posters in these forums would be a great asset to us readers in explaining this phenomenon that Keith seems to be so happy about.

As I continue to read these new posts, I go from lucid moments to falling back into a confused state. Kind of like watching my kids grow up - just when you think you have them figured out, you learn you're once again confused. Hahaha

Is there any chance that one of you RCGroups veterans can visit Keith at his site and witness this, and give us a post to clarify?

Happy Flying ;-)

Webguyjv
Old Aug 19, 2004, 04:51 AM
Hervey Bay, Sunny Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2001
1,773 Posts
I do

Hey,

I fly at a power field too, BUT I usually fly after 12 midday when all the power flyers pack up, leaving the place to myself. Works well for everybody. 7 daz a week too
Masterpiece is offline Find More Posts by Masterpiece
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:49 AM
Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,922 Posts
I fly scale sailplanes. Years back when also flew power(slimers) and belonged to our local club here in Southern OR, we set up a winch and I put on quite a show with my Robbe ASH-26. To see the expression on those faces was priceless!

Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
Old Aug 21, 2004, 09:20 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Always interesting to mix&match on a field; my experience has to do with the aforementioned reluctance of power fliers to see a frequency tied up for 20min or more. We had a couple of guys show up with slopers at the thermal field; these were the old big-wing models (Pink Lady? whatever) and launched off the winch. What a show! It was one of those days when thermals were everywhere, and the slopers were fast enough to hunt big areas, and the found lots of lift as they were up for 1/2hr or more. Once into a trashlifter, they would then wring out the model. Fun!
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:35 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Quote:
All of that notwhithstanding, I can't help thinking that it would saure be great if there were any fliers that reside in the same part of the US as Keith, and they could one day visit him at his field, and watch his technique. I think one of the veteran posters in these forums would be a great asset to us readers in explaining this phenomenon that Keith seems to be so happy about.
i watch Kieth fly on a regular basis... what is it you are wanting to knwo about how he flies? are you asking about the thermal DS-ing?

IF so, yes it is quite possible. I dont knwo if it is happening or not when he is flying, but he goes up!

Keith flies all day every day.. noone has a glider in the air per week more than him... in all seriousness.

He does not like to "thermal turn" Instead he finds lift and "sweeps" back and fourth in a big "U" shpped fashion, basically doing stall turns at each side...He pulls up HARD at the bottom and zooms upwards gaining altitude each time and hauling butt at the bottom...

I feel I should also mention that he flies a VERY heavy 100 inch glider with an RG15 airfoil. He launches it with a short piece of rubber and never gets more than 200 feet on a launch.. in fact he is lucky if he gets that. ve seen him use a winch abotu twice in the 3 years I have known him.

He is very good at working low level lift and gaining altitude. I dont know if ther eis actually DS- occuring when he flies, I jsut know it is different than how I fly and he goes up jsut as well.

I know what he is saying Is possible.. and I know if you knew for sure where the "boundry" was between the lift and the sink, you could DS-them everytime.. THe problem is that you can only GUESS where that boundry is and therefore you will not hit the effect every time.

Keith dosent really come out to compete at the local monthly contest..> i have no doubt that if he did he could do well and make times... landing with the lead sled he flies is a different story though!
AustinTatious is online now Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Aug 23, 2004, 02:12 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Glad You Chimed In, Austin

I was in the RCGroups chatroom on Friday night, and guess who came in - Keith! Keith mentioned that you fly at his flying site, and I was telling him that it would be great to get another flyer's perspective on what he's doing. You did an excellent job in your post, Austin. I now feel I completely understand what Keith is doing. It sounds like fun.

BTW, in your explanation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTatious
...Instead he finds lift and "sweeps" back and fourth in a big "U" shpped fashion, basically doing stall turns at each side...He pulls up HARD at the bottom and zooms upwards gaining altitude each time and hauling butt at the bottom...
...Is this basically the same maneuver as a "half-pipe" or "pump"?

Interesting.

It sounds like Keith is very accomplished at working the lift. I admire him in that I'm much too lazy for that. I start on the slope, allowing mother nature to take me up. I'm not sure I could do very well off a bungee or hi-start.

Thanks again for the explanation, Austin.

Happy Flying ;-)

Webguyjv
Last edited by webguyjv; Aug 23, 2004 at 02:14 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 02:16 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Is this basically the same maneuver as a "half-pipe" or "pump"?
yes exaclty.. however if he is gettin a DS effect, that means that in his downline, he is not in the lift and thus his decent is notslowed by it... HE may be buildign up speed in the sink, then entering the lift to get a burst of airspeed, then zooming upwards.
AustinTatious is online now Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
417 Posts
yea

thats it..i think
kewhite is offline Find More Posts by kewhite
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)