HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2004, 04:08 PM
Moorpark, CA
Joined Oct 2002
565 Posts
1st Low Wing Warbird - Molt Hellcat or GWS Corsair?

I am getting pretty good at flying my Dandy and am ready to tackle a low wing warbird. What is recommended for a first plane between a Molt Models Hellcat or GWS Corsair? I would probably go with a Nippy or PJS for the Hellcat and maybe a AF010 14T with 4.43:1 for the Corsair.
Bonez is offline Find More Posts by Bonez
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2004, 04:25 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,554 Posts
This may be an oversimplification but if you expect to crash, consider the GWS. Otherwise the Hellcat is awesome, especially if you like to build, and really in a different (much better) class IMHO.

If you crash the GWS you can probably be flying again with one evening's repairs. Not so with a balsa built-up structure. I hope I'm not offending any fellow Kansans! BTW, I do have a GWS Corsair and it's great. I'd recommned it as a fairly stable warbird due to it's dihedral.

Phil
pburress is online now Find More Posts by pburress
Old Mar 30, 2004, 05:15 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Have you firmly eliminated the best choice for WWII Warbirds - Alfa?
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Mar 30, 2004, 05:36 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,767 Posts
Alfa
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Mar 30, 2004, 06:26 PM
Surrey BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
876 Posts
What is your flying skills? For one the hellcat would be a easier plane to fly, then the corsair. I myself would get a hellcat. In fact I have one coming. I have flown a few GWS Zero's. I guess you could say they flew well. Mind you the ones I few were stock power plants. In fact I have a NIB one setting here. With no desire to build it. If I ever do it will be assembled for one reason so I can film a great Crash. In my eyes go with a Molt Models Hellcat.

Colin
Gonzo007 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo007
Old Mar 30, 2004, 07:08 PM
Kansas
Joined Dec 2002
173 Posts
Hellcat

I would if its about money the Hellcat and GWS about the same - The Alfa will cost more but is nice kit and fly good . But their is one thing the GWS and Alfa can't do is fly like a Hellcat I could fly mine in the infield of ballpark no trouble, it's what i call a true parkflyer - Wt 9oz - motor PJS 300 - battery Etec 2x -1200 and the fun flying it is priceless. -- Jim
BigDog is offline Find More Posts by BigDog
Last edited by BigDog; Mar 30, 2004 at 07:15 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 07:29 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,916 Posts
Hobby Lobby has the P-51 Strega and the Rare Bear - they are Reno Racer schemed warbirds but are good choices for 1st low wing planes.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Mar 30, 2004, 07:38 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
United States, MN, Woodbury
Joined Jan 2003
3,721 Posts
Go with the GWS corsair - it is easy to fly - easy to fix - Just plane fun to have. I have one and I have an alfa. Much less stress when you crash a GWS than an Alfa. I love them both but of the two you asked about go Corsair. Just my opinion.
Matt
Willmsy is offline Find More Posts by Willmsy
Old Mar 30, 2004, 07:38 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
United States, MN, Woodbury
Joined Jan 2003
3,721 Posts
Go with the GWS corsair - it is easy to fly - easy to fix - Just plane fun to have. I have one and I have an alfa. Much less stress when you crash a GWS than an Alfa. I love them both but of the two you asked about go Corsair. Just my opinion.
Matt
Willmsy is offline Find More Posts by Willmsy
Old Mar 30, 2004, 07:47 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Of the two you asked about, go with the GWS Corsair. Of all the planes mentioned here, however, the best in every catagory is the Alfa Corsair or P-47. Flies better slow or fast than anything else mentioned. Flies better with a speed 300 than most of the others will with a small brushless. Looks better out of the box than a GWS does with 10 hours work put into it.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 07:56 PM
Joined Aug 2003
26 Posts
Maybe we should stay on topic?

From the subject title it seems he asked for either the Molt Hellcat or GWS Corsair right? Maybe we need to stay on topic and only consider those two models until the guy asking wants input on other warbirds.

Also, to say something is "the best" you would be much more credible if you would state your experiences with each model.

What exactly makes a certain model the best?

Have you actually flown both planes?

These are details that make suggestions worth listening to.

Clover
Clover is offline Find More Posts by Clover
Old Mar 30, 2004, 08:01 PM
Kansas
Joined Dec 2002
173 Posts
Sarge like you told me in a post about the Alfa . If you have never see a Hellcat fly. It will with the right person at the sticks and if we are talking about all round park flying in WWII warbirds . none will outfly a Hellcat and if you come to Atchison Ks I would love to prove it. -- jim -- PS - I pick the Size of Park or indoor building for that matter
BigDog is offline Find More Posts by BigDog
Last edited by BigDog; Mar 30, 2004 at 08:13 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 08:34 PM
Celebration, FL
Joined Jul 2001
139 Posts
I haven't flown either, but just in terms of amount of work to get one in the air and keep it there thru fixes I think the GWS is the best choice. You will probably dump this plane in a couple of times. As another poster mentioned, with the GWS it's no big deal. I've had/have several GWS'ers including the Zero. I love them but for looks I prefer builtups. I have no doubt that the Hellcat is a better flying plane and one you'll probably end up owning (me too), but for your first low wing warbird, go with an easy built crash test dummy that still looks decent.

P.S. Order both and just build the Corsair first
Trigger_Fish is offline Find More Posts by Trigger_Fish
Old Mar 30, 2004, 09:48 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Clover
"We" were very close to the topic, and I didn't hear the starter of the thread complain about the input he was getting from several different, experienced fliers. I have flown all of the Alfa warbirds currently out (unless the FW190 came out this week). I've also flown all of the GWS warbirds, and owned several. I love GWS as a company, for what they have done for electric R/C airplanes. There is nothing wrong with their warbirds at all. Its just that the Alfas are in a different class altogether, and yes, they do fly better in all aspects. They also look better than any of the planes talked about here. Don't have to own or fly a plane to form an informed opinion about it's looks. Just gotta see it.

BigDog
I have never flown a Moly models Hellcat, but I have seen one fly. Good looking model, fly's quite well. Too light for someone that is looking for WWII warbird performance, however. Now if, the original question had involved a no-wind, indoor WWII low-wing warbird, I'd have heartily endorsed the Hellcat. But since it didn't, I'll stand by my original recommendation, as I have either owned or seen fly the three models in question. As for your cute little challange, I'll meet you half way. Say Tennessee, pylon racing. Any motor you can fit in your Hellcat and still get it off the ground, my Alfa P-47 as it is currently equiped. Wake me from my post-race nap when you finally finish 10 laps.

The guy is looking for honest opinions about what will fit his needs, from people that have experience with the planes. I chimed in with what I honestly thought was good input. While I have some personal loyalty to Alfas, they don't pay me a dime. I wouldn't give bad advice to anyone over some misplaced loyalty to a company I have nothing to do with. Kills me when someone gets upset over a model they no more to do with than plopping down the purchase price.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 09:49 PM
I Just Need This One Part
Cartersville, Georgia
Joined Jun 2002
431 Posts
I say Corsair, Hellcat is an awsome plane and it would be a shame to auger a balsa plane in the ground. I love my corsair and it is stock with a single wing servo to boot. I just cruise about the park at about 8ft alot of the time admiring the looks. Beside, if you crash, like everyone has said, they are easy to fix! The Rare bear and strega are also good, they are the easiest to fly, but are much less crash friendly. You can repair the fairly easy but they ugly up quick and get heavy. I have had my rare bear since the first came out though and still enjoy it albeit a bit rough up close! Good luck, warbirds are the coolest!!
Oh and also, dont sweat the rudder or landing gear. She does fine without both!
J
Jchas26 is offline Find More Posts by Jchas26