HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 14, 2012, 10:40 PM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
Correction

My Apology breakwater,

I have misled you due to my poor grammar; I have since corrected the error.

The three boats were the same one design however; the ballast weight can vary in shape and location. The Dumas had much longer lead ballast that ran from the back of the keel forward for a distance of approx, twenty six inches. This kept the stern lower (squat) in comparison to the lead shape shown on the US Building plan of that era.

With the longer lead, you have to be mindful you don’t exceed your stern over hang mark (waterline). It would also be beneficial to contact Mr. Rick West and seek his knowledge regarding the Dumas design.

Many Australian EC12 Owners are changing the lead shape to produce a sailing characteristic more to their liking. Of course, the practise must comply with our current ARYA Rule base.

Both lead shapes and placement are the same for both Dumas boats. Again my apology for my mistake.

Bob S.
Viking50 is offline Find More Posts by Viking50
Last edited by Viking50; May 15, 2012 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Correction.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 07:45 AM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking50 View Post
The three boats were the same one design however; the ballast weight can vary in shape and location.
Great! Thanks.
So based on this, my assumption is that any rudder made by dumas should work for any of the dumas hulls? Plug & Play?
Is that correct... Any the major difference between the dumas boats was ballasting?

I understand they were build to the same "one design" theory, but prior to the 95 Standard hull in the USA, there are many different shaped "one design" boats.
I.E. My Hickman EC-12 is totally different in the keel than my Dumas.

I did contact Rick West in regards to the Dumas, he knew of no rudders available, and noted that most that need a rudder for a Dumas build it.

I have actually sourced a Dumas rudder, but trying to fill-in as much information as possible to find out if it will work properly before I send away for it.

I'm familiar with the ballasting issues of the Dumas.
Fortunatley either someone corrected the ballast previously, or it was built correctly from the start. Here's a photo of my ballast in the boat, with lead forward.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Old May 15, 2012, 10:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
All looking good so far.

Does anybody have any Photos from the Recent Australian EC12 Championships held in Queensland.

Chris, how did you enjoy the trip over. Any Happy Snaps..

I really enjoyed this photo recently posted on another thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=498

Cheers

John
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Old May 16, 2012, 01:34 AM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
Dumas Rudder

G’day breakwater,

This is getting well past my knowledge of USA designs. I have contacted Leigh to help with your question and Leigh has advised the rudder is the same on both his Dumas.

The attached picture should give a clearer view and may help.

Many Australian skippers are replacing their rudders with the “Barn Door” style as, in their opinion, it provides better control and turning ability. (Second photo) Personal choice .

Hope the info has helped.

Bob S.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Most defiantly! That's great... Thank You.

That means the Dumas rudder i've sourced should work on my hull regardless of the style or version hull.

In Regards to the "barn door" style rudder, I totally agree. I went to this style Rudder on my Hickman Hull. It's a better option.

But, No-one has a mold for that barn door style rudder that will fit the keel shape of a Dumas... Atleast that I'm aware of.... So I don't mind using the old style to get the boat running, before taking the time & patience to build a proper "barn door" rudder for it.

Thanks!
Love the International collaboration.. Internet at it's best.
Old May 17, 2012, 12:13 AM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
East Coast 12 Australia - Contacts

East Coast 12 – ARYA (Australia)

On behalf of the National Class Coordinator and ARYA EC12 Owners, we welcome contact from all interested people seeking further information or general enquiries. Listed below are the primary contact names and e-mail addresses.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Primary Contacts:

National Class Coordinator – Mr. Colin Durran: eastcoast12@live.com.au

Sydney Area, NSW – Mr. Leigh Buttress-Grove: lgrove@bigpond.com

NSW South Coast – Mr. Rob Rixon: rixon@tadaust.org.au
Old May 18, 2012, 04:35 AM
New Zealand, Wellington, Paraparaumu
Joined May 2012
23 Posts
Hi John

Not many snaps taken as weather was very wet on the Saturday so didn't get the chance to get any during racing. Couple of pics of my boat only as here.

Enjoyed as always the trip over to QLD and will be back in Feb for the Morgan Black.

Just noticed angle in pic 2 makes it look like double spreader rigging - this is not he case - the black tghings that llok like spreaders are in fact battens on leach of headsail, Faintly betwwen them the actual spreader can be seenw hen you click on pic to fully enlarge
ec12nz is offline Find More Posts by ec12nz
Old May 19, 2012, 02:25 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Chris

Thanks for the Photos.. Boat look tops on the water.. I've found a Regatta Report which I will download soon.

Queensland at this time of year is a great place to vsit.. Not so many tourists. Had planned to visit there in June 2012 but something has come up..

Any chance of a few photos of the inside layout of that Transport & Boat Bag of yours. Would be interesting to see how it all fits together.

I have heard that Windward RC do a great Boat Bag & accessories for IOM's & other smaller classes

http://www.windwardrc.com/

Cheers

John

Old May 19, 2012, 10:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
2012 EC12 Australian Championship

Report & Results

http://www.rc-yachts.net/index.php?o...nts&Itemid=125

Attached is a Full PDF File..

Cheers

John
Old May 20, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined May 2012
23 Posts
Travel Bag setup for my EC12 as attached.
Old May 20, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking50 View Post
G’day breakwater,

This is getting well past my knowledge of USA designs. I have contacted Leigh to help with your question and Leigh has advised the rudder is the same on both his Dumas.

The attached picture should give a clearer view and may help.

Many Australian skippers are replacing their rudders with the “Barn Door” style as, in their opinion, it provides better control and turning ability. (Second photo) Personal choice .

Hope the info has helped.

Bob S.

Darn,
Got 2 rudders in the mail that were supposedly for a Dumas.. neither of them fit properly.
Any info anyone may have is very much appreciated.
Last edited by breakwater; May 20, 2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined May 2012
23 Posts
They may of come of 2 seperate hulls from the past with supposed same parentage - this is classic example of what has happened years ago with flop after flop after flop being made of 1 hull and things moving ever so slightly each time a nother mold was flopped.
The move to the new mold and control of manufacture alleviates these problems so in 10 years time a rudder that fits todays new boat will still fit a new hull.
Looks like your best bet is to use the blue rudder and extend it down to meet the bottom of the hull of go back to scratch and build a new one yourself that fits the shape of what you have in the hull.This shape (barndoor) does work better given larger surface area.
Old May 21, 2012, 01:25 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec12nz View Post
Travel Bag setup for my EC12 as attached.
Chris

Some great photos of the Insides & how you manage to pack everything together.

Lots of ideas there that will help others when it comes to travelling.

Lucky me, I only have to stick my MM inside a foam cut-out & wrap in a few towels. Travels nicely inside a suitcase.

Keep the tips coming.

Cheers

John
Old May 21, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec12nz View Post
They may of come of 2 seperate hulls from the past with supposed same parentage - this is classic example of what has happened years ago with flop after flop after flop being made of 1 hull and things moving ever so slightly each time a nother mold was flopped.
The move to the new mold and control of manufacture alleviates these problems so in 10 years time a rudder that fits todays new boat will still fit a new hull.
Looks like your best bet is to use the blue rudder and extend it down to meet the bottom of the hull of go back to scratch and build a new one yourself that fits the shape of what you have in the hull.This shape (barndoor) does work better given larger surface area.
Most certaiy.
This boat is a work in progress, so I'll keep searching. I have another I actively sail, so it's my workbench boat. If I ever find the what proper rudder for it is, and source one, that's just plug & play.
If not I'll build one from scratch in the future.

The new mould is really the way to go in the class without a doubt... especially in a one-design class. The only reason I'm fooling around with this boat is that I hope to get a boat that's competitive only at club-level for short change.

Anyone who wants to compete at the higher levels of this class obviously is going go forgo what I'm doing and spend the money for a brand-new boat that fits the 95 Standard.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined May 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
spend the money for a brand-new boat that fits the 95 Standard.
Oops - we are 1 more generation on from that now sorry.

The 95 std was good but the latest iteration is back to true origins and lines taken from "mother" the original tank test model.

The original still survives today as well - hangs above the bar of the St Petersburgh Yacht Club in Florida - check out the pics I took here https://picasaweb.google.com/1129638.../OriginalHull#

Once you have looked at them please feel free to click on the word photos at top right under my name where alot of other EC12 pics I have taken are along with some J boat ones from 2009 USA nationals as well in Sacramento prior to last Morgan Black we attended.

Last edited by ec12nz; May 21, 2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: spelling !!
Closed Thread