HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Dec 2004
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
What does it matter? They are allowed in carryon baggage or in devices in direct possession(attended)
Having a bag in the overhead bin is not direct possession. A laptop battery could ignite the entire overhead bin in less that 5 seconds and fill the cabin with smoke so thick that nobody would be able to see, much less react. It's not like you can open the door of the plane and toss this stuff out!

You are correct, these regulations should be based on common sense instead of knee-jerk reactions. It just doesn't make sense to ban a certain type of battery only on part of a plane and only on flights leaving the country!

Hey, that's our fine government at work!
Skyshark01 is online now Find More Posts by Skyshark01
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 03:16 PM
Pro Jet Pilot
Canada, NB
Joined Apr 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I'm confused you said absolutely nothing which justifies the fee. Everything you mentioned is simply best practices for safe cargo handling. Where does all the money go?
Chronosynclastic infundibulum.
Funny answer.
Cody f86saber is offline Find More Posts by Cody f86saber
Last edited by Cody f86saber; Oct 14, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old May 19, 2012, 04:30 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,731 Posts
The fundament of the galaxy, Washington, D.C.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old May 22, 2012, 08:22 PM
O <- this a ground loop
Japan
Joined Nov 2010
514 Posts
It's A Brave New World

Drinking the koolaid much are we?

Things to consider...

How many reported incidents of a Lithium battery being the attributed cause of an actual in transit fire are there? Carry on, freight cargo and postal included.
Not to distract from the fact that lithium batteries are a potential fire hazard but then so are a few thousand liters of airborne kerosene. Hell, kerosene can even melt steel we are led to believe.†

More sea freight goes astray every year than air cargo does with more lives lost.

Fixation on burning planes falling out of the sky much?

Why are most modern industrial nation's manufacturing industries no longer in existance with a very large majority of our consumer products off shored to China?

Why is it that in the US the people in industry, the country's workforce, were lent money to buy housing when the banks were fully aware of even more local companies intentions to off shore their production facilities and then lay the work force off?

Why is it that major contracts such as the TSA ovens, er I mean full body scanners are off shored to China?
Opted out much have we lately?

Why is it that the little guy who lost his job in the US and the rest of the developed world has to jump through hoops of tax generating legislation to run a small business just to get by while China can continue to ship, unhindered, cheaper and cheaper products to all corners of the world?

Nothing against China btw - we all must eat.
Just sticking my straw in your koolaid and blowing a few bubbles.†
You won't catch me sipping though.
Good old Rumsfeld says the sweetner is dodge

We live in a nanny state world were things such as RP-SMA get introduced because it's supposed to prevent people from jamming on normal SMA connectors and bending the center pin on their WIFI.
Normal folk don't need removable antenna. Only knowledgeable hobbyists or installation professionals do.

Importing lithium batteries in bulk by sea will not be plausible for the smaller business.
The result will be higher priced batteries available from a few major local suppliers versus ever cheaper direct from China †(retail at wholesale prices) putting one more fat nail in the retail industry's coffin.

But hey I wouldn't worry too much!
Unless you import wood to make guitars or farm chickens and pigs or even dare to sell raw milk or lemonade. Oh, and be careful the neighbours don't see your tomatoes. See something say something. Say no more. Mums the word!
NB: you don't need me to post links do ya'll opcorn

If you are still sipping the koolaid at this point may I suggest you go to the freezer, grab a few more ice-cubes, maybe even a dollop of ice-cream and continue to enjoy your nanny state programming.
devfor is offline Find More Posts by devfor
Old May 22, 2012, 08:25 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,731 Posts
Oh, my-I find tinfoil around my hat helps these little paroxyms of paranoia.
Old May 22, 2012, 08:28 PM
O <- this a ground loop
Japan
Joined Nov 2010
514 Posts
Tin foil is for wimps

I use Saran Wrap
Old May 22, 2012, 08:30 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,731 Posts
Yes, but all those voices and radio signals get through Saran wrap! Oh, must go, the voices are telling me my lipo collection is on fire!
Old May 22, 2012, 09:44 PM
O <- this a ground loop
Japan
Joined Nov 2010
514 Posts
I call bs on that!

Tinfoil traps the rays inside your head duh...
That's why it sparkles when you microwave it.

Ever since the US customs stole $10,000 worth of retail goods out of China from me I've gone with Saran wrap
The thicker Saran wrap blocks most but lets just enough through to keep you tuned in but not over cooked.
My tin foil hat is in the trash along with the constitution.

And for those who want some entertainment while you sip on that oh so sweet koolaid...
I bring you some dangerous NSFNS (not safe for nanny state) links

Old May 22, 2012, 10:11 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,731 Posts
Well, I'd say your Saran wrap as a hole in it.
Old May 27, 2012, 06:17 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devfor View Post
I call bs on that!

Tinfoil traps the rays inside your head duh...
That's why it sparkles when you microwave it.

Ever since the US customs stole $10,000 worth of retail goods out of China from me I've gone with Saran wrap
The thicker Saran wrap blocks most but lets just enough through to keep you tuned in but not over cooked.
My tin foil hat is in the trash along with the constitution.

And for those who want some entertainment while you sip on that oh so sweet koolaid...
I bring you some dangerous NSFNS (not safe for nanny state) links

Ah the plot thickens.
Would you be so good to inform us of why U.S. Customs went to a foreign country and stole from you? I see your location is Japan. Lets see if I understand this correctly.U.S. Customs went to China and stole from someone in Japan?
Honestly Im curious about your take on the situation.
Not many see both sides of the story here.Ive heard various accounts and even more rumors.
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal
Old May 28, 2012, 05:51 PM
Boooriiiiing.
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Sep 2006
1,514 Posts
So... anyone have recommendations on how to get Lipos to an APO address? Will Fedex Smartpost deliver them?
MadMonkey572 is online now Find More Posts by MadMonkey572
Old May 29, 2012, 08:56 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey572 View Post
So... anyone have recommendations on how to get Lipos to an APO address? Will Fedex Smartpost deliver them?
Since Smartpost does a handoff to USPS for the final delivery I'm guessing no. I don't think there is any way to get them to an APO address now.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old May 29, 2012, 09:42 AM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
Has anyone got batteries of any sort delivered since the 16th to an APO/FPO? I had a laptop shipped the 14th and it still hasn't shown, google skills are failing me as I can't find posts on any forums regarding the issue. The product supplier said it's all in USPSs hands, my luck it got overseas and THEN was put in limbo since they can't return it and don't want to ship it even though it's ground transport the rest of the way
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old May 29, 2012, 09:43 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,940 Posts
Does anyone know how the Wh is to be computed? If itís based on actual charge since LiPos are shipped at half charge or less I donít see that it will be a big impact for most of us.
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 29, 2012, 09:58 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Does anyone know how the Wh is to be computed? If itís based on actual charge since LiPos are shipped at half charge or less I donít see that it will be a big impact for most of us.
I would assume for simplicity it would be done using voltage and mAh printed on the packaging. Which would be in our favor.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver