etc...

Rob
Rob_G is offline Find More Posts by Rob_G
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
Hey Ya'll !

"has anyone else noticed that if you quickly punch the throttle, the esc shuts down?

or at least mine does

too high a C rating?"

"Horizon is not recommending high C rated cells in their GeeBee for this reason."

When I saw these posts, I thought ya mus be crazy!

But sho'nuff...

Gee Bee EFLU4580

Over Current Protection

During production of the E-flite UMX Gee Bee, small tolerances of components have led to some Gee Bee models hitting the Over Current Protection (OCP) during the first initial run of a fully charged battery. When this happens, the motor will shut off as programmed to protect the electronics from an over-current condition. The servos will not stop working and you will still have control of the plane. This only happens when the battery is at a fully charged state and will not happen in the course of an entire flight.To reset the motor, the throttle needs to be cycled back to low power. After the motor has been run for a few seconds and the voltage of the battery has come down, the system will not hit OCP.

This does not occur on all models and should be checked on the ground before each flight. Larger and or higher C rating batteries are not recommended for the Gee Bee, as this could cause the power system to run above the designed limit and hit OCP. Follow the instructions below to prevent hitting OCP during a flight.

Throttle the model up to full power on the ground and let it run for 10-15 seconds. If the model hits OCP and the motor shuts down, cycle the throttle and run the motor again near full power for at least 10 more seconds. This will bring the battery voltage down low enough to prevent hitting OCP during the flight.

Horizon is working to find a long-term solution as soon as possible.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAATTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the GeeBee, they have surely fouled up, because to depend on a crappy battery for current limiting is the poorest of designs.

As far as the problem on Razors craft, I doubt that it's the esc.

I have taken the craft to full throttle with the freshest of charge; this is another diagnostic for weak/failing motors, when "punched to da max", it will go STRAIGHT up with no fall off towards any one motor.

If it's cutting out, look for poor connections first, even the battery connector and the solder joint to the board.
Stresscracked is offline Find More Posts by Stresscracked
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:14 PM
jbb
Joined May 2006
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stresscracked View Post
Hey Ya'll !

"has anyone else noticed that if you quickly punch the throttle, the esc shuts down?

or at least mine does

too high a C rating?"

"Horizon is not recommending high C rated cells in their GeeBee for this reason."

When I saw these posts, I thought ya mus be crazy!

But sho'nuff...

Gee Bee EFLU4580

Over Current Protection

During production of the E-flite UMX Gee Bee, small tolerances of components have led to some Gee Bee models hitting the Over Current Protection (OCP) during the first initial run of a fully charged battery. When this happens, the motor will shut off as programmed to protect the electronics from an over-current condition. The servos will not stop working and you will still have control of the plane. This only happens when the battery is at a fully charged state and will not happen in the course of an entire flight.To reset the motor, the throttle needs to be cycled back to low power. After the motor has been run for a few seconds and the voltage of the battery has come down, the system will not hit OCP.

This does not occur on all models and should be checked on the ground before each flight. Larger and or higher C rating batteries are not recommended for the Gee Bee, as this could cause the power system to run above the designed limit and hit OCP. Follow the instructions below to prevent hitting OCP during a flight.

Throttle the model up to full power on the ground and let it run for 10-15 seconds. If the model hits OCP and the motor shuts down, cycle the throttle and run the motor again near full power for at least 10 more seconds. This will bring the battery voltage down low enough to prevent hitting OCP during the flight.

Horizon is working to find a long-term solution as soon as possible.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAATTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the GeeBee, they have surely fouled up, because to depend on a crappy battery for current limiting is the poorest of designs.

As far as the problem on Razors craft, I doubt that it's the esc.

I have taken the craft to full throttle with the freshest of charge; this is another diagnostic for weak/failing motors, when "punched to da max", it will go STRAIGHT up with no fall off towards any one motor.

If it's cutting out, look for poor connections first, even the battery connector and the solder joint to the board.
LHS HTU, said this was a 'safety feature', he held the quad in his hand and went full throttle and it shut down. Said that in case something happens to the throttle when you're holding it, shut down automatically....

idk
jbb is offline Find More Posts by jbb
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:21 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
Everything I look at is a potential "lid" for me MQX!

b

EDIT:

The "Puck" is a great, stable platform for my key fob cam!

The plastic is a little thicker than the factory lid!

The most interesting part is that the PROFOUND DVR that I experience with the stock lid all but has gone!

Usually when I send the little bird up 100' the trip down is fraught with drama as the air moves around the craft in a turbulent manner!

b

PS I vote my "Lid" the "Most Functional"!
rikybob is online now Find More Posts by rikybob
Last edited by rikybob; Feb 15, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:24 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
So I just tried my new hyperion 550's, they seem to have a lot more power

has anyone else noticed that if you quickly punch the throttle, the esc shuts down?
I've got over 40 flights on mine and probably 30 or so of those on the Hyperion 550's (two of them). I've never had this issue, I can punch to full throttle early in the charge. It won't shut off, but it does get wonky at full throttle. I (and others) have mentioned this before- it flies like the gyro is getting overwhelmed if you try to go full throttle with the Hyperions. Some have even adjusted their throttle EPA to 90% as a workaround. Anyway, back to the shutdown- as others have mentioned this is a common problem on the Geebee, but even though it's common, it doesn't effect ALL of them. I've been keeping up with the thread and my impression is it's about 60/40 of those with and without the premature shutdown (on the Geebee). The temporary fix that HH offered is to let it run at full throttle on the ground and if it shuts down restart it, keep repeating that until it keeps running and then it's good to go. My suggestion on your mQX would be to avoid full throttle, because even if it doesn't shut down you'll find it doesn't fly well at full throttle anyway.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
Howdy idk !

Could you find a link to that info from HH on the mQX shutdown.
I know they are not good on getting these bulletins to the website.

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:37 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Thanks Gord, I think the mQX is in the finals.
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
I did find this reference....

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/blade-mqx.html

"Any sudden impact of any of the four propellers will immediately shut down power to protect the motor and circuitry on the 4-in-1 board. That said, anticipating an impact and cutting power before hand is the best & safest approach ."
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:43 PM
Motto - fly it, crash it = fun
United States, GA
Joined Jul 2007
101 Posts
I just got my MQX a couple of hours ago and tell I'm gonna like it. Since I've just been flying S107Gs and S033Gs, I find the MQX is a tiny bit of a challenge to get comfortable with. I tend to over control frequently even in the low rate.

I've got a couple of questions - on top of the circuit board there is a copper-colored wire from one corner that extends diagonally across the board. It's not attached to anything at one end. It appears to be the receiver antenna, but I find it strange that a wire is extended across the top of exposed electrical components and slider joints. Is this okay? Will there be no shorting problems if it lays down on the board?

And, do control stick inputs return to "center" when the throttle is moved to zero?

Lastly, I don't see much effect on any of the trims after I've pushed any of the buttons a couple of times. Is this delayed a bit?
fs2flyer is offline Find More Posts by fs2flyer
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
Hey fs2flyer !

That is the antenna, "enameled" wire is tough, although if it was "schrunched" onto a live trace or solder point, well....

As to lowering the throttle, I'm not clear on the question.

If yer paws aren't on the sticks, they center.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:26 PM
Motto - fly it, crash it = fun
United States, GA
Joined Jul 2007
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stresscracked View Post
Hey fs2flyer !
As to lowering the throttle, I'm not clear on the question.

If yer paws aren't on the sticks, they center.
Maybe this is more clear - when I lift off and make a wrong control input, say, too much forward or too much rudder, I simply return the throttle stick to zero and the heli comes down to the ground and the rotors stop. Then, when I lift off, again, the last control inputs are gone (now in hover mode). Normal flying is such that the heli stays in the last motion if the control stick is released to neutral and you have to counter act the motion to get it back to neutral. That's what I mean - zero throttle = canceling past control input?

Thanks for the answer.
fs2flyer is offline Find More Posts by fs2flyer
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:27 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,167 Posts
when I say full throttle punch.

I mean when the quad is initalized and ready, if I hit the throttle stick to full quick it does this.

If I were to punch it to half or 3/4m then slowly progress to 100% it would be fine.

Seems like over current protection to me?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:39 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2007
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
I've got over 40 flights on mine and probably 30 or so of those on the Hyperion 550's (two of them). I've never had this issue, I can punch to full throttle early in the charge. It won't shut off, but it does get wonky at full throttle. I (and others) have mentioned this before- it flies like the gyro is getting overwhelmed if you try to go full throttle with the Hyperions. ...
I think this is due to the props not being identical anymore, and possibly motor differences. After a few "unscheduled landings" the props can get tweaked a bit, and have more or less pitch. This means to hover, the motors need slightly different power levels. When you punch it, and try to suddenly go up, it tries to increase the power evenly to all motors at the same time, and some have more bite than others, which causes the inital movement, then the gyros (or what ever keeps it in the same position) try to correct to keep it level. Try putting on all new blades, and I bet it is better. This still could be affected by motors being of slightly different wear/power.

mine out of the box brand new, went straight up when I punched it. A friends, more worn, did not.

(but I'm guessing on this )
yzguy is offline Find More Posts by yzguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: wing wing z-84 fpv setup
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:44 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G View Post
I had 2 flights tonight and on the second flight my mqx started losing power at 3mins and I increased throttle to compensate. When I did that, the front right boom dropped and it veered sideways. Suddenly it was ok again. I measured the temperatures of the motors with my duratrax temp probe after 4 minutes.

Front left - 70f
Front right - 79f
Rear left - 77f
Rear right - 70
It seems like that infamous front right/rear left pair is looking to start to die sooner than the other pair in this heli..
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:45 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milmarc View Post
I have both and the MQX flies much better than the #5 in all respects.
Thanks. I don't like the #5 wobbly easy-breakable propellers either.

I am able to make a small indoor quad myself, but I like the MQX. It is cute and seems like it can take a hit or two.

And I always want a new toy when I see one
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk