HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2014, 05:17 PM
Joined Nov 2013
18 Posts
Replacing the motor board

I flew mine into the ground, but it is surprisingly intact. I ordered a new battery, motor, and motorboard. However, I see it is pretty hard to replace the motorboard. It is totally embedded in the nose, with foam all around it. I was thinking about cutting away material from the front to get at it. It seems less damaging than going in from the bottom, from the top, or from either side. But I'm not sure. Has anybody else replaced a broken motor board on this or any similar plane? I think the design is the similar for all the 1700 and 1400 planes from FMS.

Anyway, I am pretty amazed that this plane will fly again. I thought I hit hard enough to shake every electron loose from its atomic nucleus. But the wings and fuse only need minor gluing. The spars are fine. Of course the heavy things (battery, motor) came out the front and buried themselves into the ground. The plane is like a college student on the morning after tequila shots -- puked its guts out, but will be OK.
GringoTuerto is offline Find More Posts by GringoTuerto
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2014, 09:00 PM
Love To Fly
United States, TN, Dandridge
Joined Mar 2013
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GringoTuerto View Post
I flew mine into the ground, but it is surprisingly intact. I ordered a new battery, motor, and motorboard. However, I see it is pretty hard to replace the motorboard. It is totally embedded in the nose, with foam all around it. I was thinking about cutting away material from the front to get at it. It seems less damaging than going in from the bottom, from the top, or from either side. But I'm not sure. Has anybody else replaced a broken motor board on this or any similar plane? I think the design is the similar for all the 1700 and 1400 planes from FMS.

Anyway, I am pretty amazed that this plane will fly again. I thought I hit hard enough to shake every electron loose from its atomic nucleus. But the wings and fuse only need minor gluing. The spars are fine. Of course the heavy things (battery, motor) came out the front and buried themselves into the ground. The plane is like a college student on the morning after tequila shots -- puked its guts out, but will be OK.
Sorry to hear you crashed it but happy it will be a easy fix hope all goes well putting it back together good luck
MAMBA2200 is online now Find More Posts by MAMBA2200
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
United States, IL, Cypress
Joined Sep 2013
46 Posts
I replaced it in a 1700mm mustang. You have to cut the top of the nose off. Use a new blade, cut straight, or in a seam is better and then put it back. When I got done you can not tell at all. It was a perfect repair.
benjack71 is offline Find More Posts by benjack71
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
Joined Nov 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjack71 View Post
....cut the top of the nose off.....
By this I assume you mean that you created a square hole in the top of the fuse, and inserted the new motor board from above (i.e. you don't mean that you sliced the entire front of the nose off). Right? Well, that is interesting. I might try it that way. But it might be that the back of my motor board is fine, and I just need to screw in a new front. I'll wait until it arrives and take a look, comparing the remaining pieces to the new motor board. I'm not yet sure exactly what's missing.

I'm really amazed that this thing is going to fly again after what I did to it. The plane puked up all the heavy parts through the front, but other than that, it is pretty much OK. Foam looks fine, and the spars didn't even break.
GringoTuerto is offline Find More Posts by GringoTuerto
Old Today, 03:09 AM
United States, IL, Cypress
Joined Sep 2013
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GringoTuerto View Post
By this I assume you mean that you created a square hole in the top of the fuse, and inserted the new motor board from above (i.e. you don't mean that you sliced the entire front of the nose off). Right? Well, that is interesting. I might try it that way. But it might be that the back of my motor board is fine, and I just need to screw in a new front. I'll wait until it arrives and take a look, comparing the remaining pieces to the new motor board. I'm not yet sure exactly what's missing.

I'm really amazed that this thing is going to fly again after what I did to it. The plane puked up all the heavy parts through the front, but other than that, it is pretty much OK. Foam looks fine, and the spars didn't even break.
Yes. I cut the top of the fuse. Ok. from the start. And this was redtail p-51 1700mm. Removed cowling and motor. Saw where the board was at in relation to fuse. With new blade, I cut along a seem, at the top of the fuse, from aft to fore on each side. I mean top side, not directly on top. I then made a cut from side to side along another seam (molded panel line) behind the motorboard, and again the same thing in from of the motor board. So basically I cut along a panel line located on the top sides of the fuse. I started from behind the motorboard and stopped in front of the motorboard. All my cuts were made in panel lines. I cant remember if there is molded panel lines on the P-47 in that spot. I don't think there is. But, yeah it is the best way to get to the motorboard. If you use a sharp blade you will have no problem putting it back perfect
benjack71 is offline Find More Posts by benjack71