SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Yeah the cheese Brian throws out around 2:10 is awesome! that was a fun video to make...... cant quit watching it. He put on one heck of a show and it was totally freestyle... Those Hog Wilds hit the ground and launch right back up. Before 2:10 there was a battery die out then a bad battery then he nailed it. That launch with the roll amazing.....I had a friend say what the heck is that some kind of RC kite Lol!!!!! my response nope an electric combat plane...... checkout www.electric-combat.com..... simple but elegant and indestructible..... and even in high winds being flown while everyone was waiting on the wind to die..... Just saying........
David45 is offline Find More Posts by David45
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:16 PM
The Hog Wild Man
United States, AR, Piggott
Joined Sep 2012
62 Posts
Check out new video of the Hog Wild RC Plane taken October 13, 2012 at the Piggott RC Club Fun Fly. it was really windy and the Hog Wild planes were able to fly al day.

Catch a Hog Wild By The Tail (5 min 10 sec)
bob and kay is offline Find More Posts by bob and kay
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:05 AM
The Hog Wild Man
Joined Sep 2012
62 Posts
Tina Zieman Testing her new Hog Wild at the Dexter Air Show

TINA DITCHES THE HOG WILD (2 min 6 sec)

Would love to see more video, anyone else have any Hog Wild Videos?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:39 PM
The Hog Wild Man
Joined Sep 2012
62 Posts
This is an idea that came from an r/c club in Nashville, TN. Dudley Pitts, who is a member of that club and also a member of our club in Piggott told me about this and I thought it was a great idea. It onlly involves cutting two slots in the original shipping box.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:46 PM
The Hog Wild Man
Joined Sep 2012
62 Posts
Hog Wild Drawing for carrier

Here's the drawing and another photo
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:20 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
Wild Hog FUN!!

My first Wild Hog. Took a very short time to get ready to fly. Two flights today and it is a little under powered. Still fun...

Power Up 450 Slofly Outrunner Brushless Motor
10X4.7 Prop (Poor)
10X8 Prop Much Better
40 Amp ESC
Orange RX
1300 3 cell battery
billdad1 is offline Find More Posts by billdad1
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:02 PM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdad1 View Post
My first Wild Hog. Took a very short time to get ready to fly. Two flights today and it is a little under powered. Still fun...

Power Up 450 Slofly Outrunner Brushless Motor
10X4.7 Prop (Poor)
10X8 Prop Much Better
40 Amp ESC
Orange RX
1300 3 cell battery
Been considering upping the horsepower on mine. You've got me leaning towards the Firepower 480 Speed I've been thinking on.

I'm digging the flames on your Hog.
One of the long time gasser only guys in my club that's given in to trying a Hog is planning on flaming his as well.
Mazzepa1 is offline Find More Posts by Mazzepa1
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:54 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
I changed the prop to a APC 10X5E and that was an improvement. I ordered that Firepower 480 motor Last night and since I used a 40A ESC it will be an easy swap.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:00 PM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdad1 View Post
I changed the prop to a APC 10X5E and that was an improvement. I ordered that Firepower 480 motor Last night and since I used a 40A ESC it will be an easy swap.
The FP 480 is 35mm dia opposed to the 28mm dia of the PU 450. Should be juuust enough room on the wood block to squeeze it on.

Let us know how the 480 works for you, ok? I'm thinking it ought to let you get pretty crazy.

A guy in our club has a HW with a brand unknown 480 size motor that has 1080 KV scratched on it running a 9x6E APC that works up a very nice turn of speed. When he points the nose vertical and hits the throttle it goes up, and up, and up some more. Very cool.
Mazzepa1 is offline Find More Posts by Mazzepa1
Last edited by Mazzepa1; Nov 09, 2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: correct typo
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:23 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
Quote:
The FP 480 is 35mm dia opposed to the 28mm dia of the PU 450. Should be juuust enough room on the wood block to squeeze it on.
I may have to modify the mounting block but that won't be a big deal. I will let you know.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:13 PM
The Hog Wild Man
Joined Sep 2012
62 Posts
mo power

Bildad
Here is what we use on our r/x ready Hogs and our factory demo planes.A2212/13 brushless outrunner. 1000kv, thrust 28 0z.,150 watts turning a 9x6 or10x6 apc type knockoff from Hobby King. These have a thinner hub than apc and are much cheaper. We use a 1300 3 cell to a 1600 3 cell usually Nano-Tech (Turnigy) and a 30 amp esc all from HK. This set-up will give pretty much unlimited vertical and makes the plane much more fun to fly.

Another thing you may find of interest is the fact that the plane is only capable of going so fast no matter what you power it with. Above about 60-70 mph (estimated as I have never radared one) the Hog will start banking away from the torque of the prop and the elevons can't overcome the bank. To regain control, you have to back off the throttle and slow it down. We spent almost three years fine tuning this design and went through probably a dozen different configurations with different construction materials and control systems keeping in mind performance and longevity. This final design is about as perfect as I can make it. Over a 50 year span designing models, uav's and full size aircraft, I have never spent that much development on any one project which is kind of funny considering how it is such a deceptively simple airplane.

We stock the above equipment plus everything else to complete.

One thing I have not mentioned in the consruction manual is cutting the motor shaft so the prop collet slides on the shaft all the way up to the motor front housing. If you leave a gap you stand a better chance of bending the shaft on those less than perfect landings. The preferred method of cutting the shaft........punch a small 1/8" hole in something like aluminum foil, slide the shaft into the hole and wrap the motor with the foil to prevent metal particles from being attracted to the motor magnets Then use a cut off wheel in your Dremel and start cutting. I like to make the cut in three steps cooling the shaft between each step with a wet rag or similar.
The shaft can get pretty hot if you do it in one cut and could possibly do damage to the front motor bearing.

If you have any questions, I will try to be more dilligent on these forums and will try to answer promptly. Have fun, Bob
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:55 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
parts

Quote:
We stock the above equipment plus everything else to complete.
I don't see these items on your web site. Can I order from you or can you provide a link to a supplier?
Thanks for the input!! Your info saves me from experimenting.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:24 PM
The Hog Wild Man
Joined Sep 2012
62 Posts
Billdad,
We are in the process of listing all these items on our website but with Amazon it's not easy to do so it may take awhile. You can call me at 301-785-9516 11:00 to 3:00 CT and I can give you the details. Bob
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:47 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
Thanks Bob.
Do you think the Firepower 480 motor is to big for this wing?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:59 AM
The Hog Wild Man
Joined Sep 2012
62 Posts
Billdad 1 , I don't know anything about that particular motor. The main thing in choosing an electric motor is the watts output. Most manufacturers will list this. When choosing an electric setup I always look at this first. I like to keep it very simple and the watts per pound theory will always get you in the ballpark.

50 to 75 watts...............Will fly the plane but barely
100 to 125 watts...........Good sport flying
150 to ????..................You can get 3D to INSANE!

This has worked for me for many years. You can check the electric forums and get much more detailed and scientific answers but like anytrhing else it is all about horsepower. I wish the electric manufacturers would all get together and establish some common terminolgy that we could all extrapolate easily but so far that has not happend. It used to be easy to choose a glow engine.... ..you picked a .40 or a .60 and pretty much knew what you were getting. When I started flying r/c we only had single channel radios that operated escapements. Most modelers will have no idea what that even means, but let me tell you we have come a very long ways over the last 50 years or so. Electric flying is the wave of the future and will only get better over time. Enough of my rant, Bob.