HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:17 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
941 Posts
I have a mate who destroyed his Wind 50 and he gave me his wings virtually undamaged. His wasn't yellow and black so I am going to strip the covering and recover it but I might use Monocoat black. Good luck with Modelflight. As I said nice guys to buy things off but when it comes to warranty claims it may be a different ball game.

I was going to buy a yellow and black PC21 but luckily I could not find one so bought a red and white one instead. I find black and yellow easy to see.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:55 AM
DWS
D.W. Schmidt
United States, IL, Scott AFB
Joined Sep 2004
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnspeed View Post
If you did not read through the whole thread and want to have a quick canopy latch, check this out: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=183. That's my solution and it works flawlessly.
Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the pics!
DWS is offline Find More Posts by DWS
Old Jun 10, 2014, 09:45 AM
Australia, VIC, Paynesville
Joined Apr 2007
192 Posts
Avoid black Oracover?!

Seems my peeling clear is a common issue with black Oracover....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1854406

Cam
camdyson is offline Find More Posts by camdyson
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:03 AM
Australia, VIC, Paynesville
Joined Apr 2007
192 Posts
Update on my covering issue.

Modelflight are replacing the wings - will be in next shipment from Sebart - at no cost. Good outcome.

Might try to strip off the clear on the current ones for now, and possibly seal the black edges in clear film when the relpacements arrive.

Interesting to see if the new L wing still has a gap at the root T/E too...

Cam
camdyson is offline Find More Posts by camdyson
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:32 AM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
941 Posts
Good one Cam. The next shipment is due in three or four months I think.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 01:32 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,265 Posts
Anyone know the spinner dimension ? I broke mine and need to order a new one but forgot to measure it

Thanks ...
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Jun 18, 2014, 01:59 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Looks like a 2 1/4" (57mm) spinner...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Jun 18, 2014, 02:32 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,265 Posts
thanks Jack

.. ps, LOVE your Mythos Video's and what you did with the nitelites !!
Old Jun 18, 2014, 02:36 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
thanks Jack

.. ps, LOVE your Mythos Video's and what you did with the nitelites !!
Thanks! Trying to figure out what to do next. My buddy wants to do a night Electra, not so sure! ;-)

Jack
Old Jun 18, 2014, 04:25 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Thanks! Trying to figure out what to do next. My buddy wants to do a night Electra, not so sure! ;-)

Jack

... I keep saying I'm going to light up one of my retired F5B/Hotliners for the NEAT fair - maybe this is the year
Old Jun 18, 2014, 06:00 PM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camdyson View Post
Seems my peeling clear is a common issue with black Oracover....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1854406

Cam
The fact the thread above started in March 2013 does not indicate that manufacturers like Hanger 9 (my Meridian) and Sebart (my Wind 50) took the matter seriously then and still foisted defective planes on their customers a year later.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 07:30 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
The fact the thread above started in March 2013 does not indicate that manufacturers like Hanger 9 (my Meridian) and Sebart (my Wind 50) took the matter seriously then and still foisted defective planes on their customers a year later.
It couldn't have been that widespread, of my 9 Sebart planes over the years, 5 had black and I've never seen the delamination first-hand. I do know it happens, I've seen it in pictures of more than black too, but I'm not sure it was a conspiracy. Reputable manufacturers (which I think Sebart is) don't really want to push out defective products IMO, it's bad marketing and bad for future business for sure...

Jack
Old Jun 19, 2014, 02:25 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,210 Posts
And one can not know for sure how long an ARF, from Sebart or others, has been on the "shelf" efter it was made by the actual ARF company the covered the plane. And maybe not so easy to know if roll(s) of Oracover (Ultracote) has some defect when they cover the planes and if the rolls they use are of "suspect" quality. For example the Sebart plane camdyson has. I suppose Modelflight can trace when they got the batch of Sebart planes that camdyson bought and then it can be traced back in time when it was made at ARF factory.
If I remember correct on Sebart planes it should be a small label on fuselage and wings that it was quality checked and by whom (and possibly a date when it was quality checked).
I was thinking maybe black film in general could have a tendency to get lift of the clear layer in very hot temperatures? Maybe that is contributing to a problem like this? camdyson live in Australia so maybe rather hot where he lives?
I think the important thing is that when a covering problem like this occur the manufacturer stands behind the product and and replace defective (covered) parts on warranty and in this case they did, new wings för camdyson.
I suppose it could be same problem with Ultracote since it is Oracover, just other name on the US market. Oracover/Ultracote is made in Germany by Lanitz-Prena Folien Factory GmbH. So maybe it is common problem also on Hangar 9, Extreme Flight etc planes that use also Ultracote?
But most likely it was bad quality Oracover/Ultracote that was released some time that is the real cause for the clear layer to separate. There has been cases where some ARF manufacturer was suppose to have used Oracover but instead used som "copy" of it (sample film from such planes had been sent to Oracover that analized the film and they said it was not genuine Oracover).
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...6&postcount=42
I'm not saying it is the case here but given the rather high cost of Oracover it could be tempting for any ARF maker to use a cheaper Oracover copy.
I have 4 Sebart planes, bought 4, 3, 2 years and 6 months ago and none has clear layer problem on the Oracover film. I have no doubt they are covered with genuine Oracover.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Jun 19, 2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:38 AM
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Wind was already in the air so it is not crucial for flying , but I'm just curious:
Did you removed areas in bulkhead? (See attached photography, there is arrow pointed to one of them). I didn't found any notice in manual, but it can means Sebart just forget mention about it (similar to servo covers on wings).
JindraS is offline Find More Posts by JindraS
Old Jul 10, 2014, 03:02 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,210 Posts
Hi,

On my Wind S 50E I have the plywood parts still in the firewall. I Think it does not matter if it is still in place in electric powered option. For glow powered option it must be in place ( and whole engine compartment fuelprofed). In my case, I use electric motor, and I have one thin layer of epoxy in the motor compartment area so it is waterprofed and also in the firewall parts I had a little extra epoxy so it was like glueing them to the main firewall.

I think Sebart think one can remove the plywood parts in the firewall when electric motor is used for some extra cooling air to enter the fuselage. But as I said it is in most cases not neccessary (at least if has worked fine for me in hundreds of flights, also in very hot summer days).

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee