SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 18, 2011, 03:18 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinside View Post
Yes my #3 works with the firmware for the HD loaded, although I'm not sure if I'm able to remove the black bar now by repeating the date removal for the #3. Will test it tomorrow.
DON'T! Like Tom says, you cannot interchange firmware for completely different processors. As it is, your #3 is not running the #11 firmware - the black bars prove this. If you download the #11 firmware to your #3 (using the ISP program) you will almost certainly destroy your #3. Never even think about interchanging firmware between #s', never.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:16 AM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
It seems the HD808 is really in flux, as early users of the camera work out the kinks, and Tom has done a great job of relaying your input back and forth between the creators and the RCG gang. I've been holding off on buying the HD version because it sounds like they are not very user friendly. I'm still waiting to see what the final product will look like.

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:22 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,368 Posts
Tony, I personally think the HD camera is a little easier to use than the #3 was. It actually has a charge LED to let you know when it's charging and when it's done. It's buttons are easier to figure out, and the webcam mode actually works on Windows 7 (and looks great too). For some, the h.264 compression in the .mov container can be an issue, but I was already set up for editing it having a couple of other cameras that produce the same kind of video. Removing the timestamp is as easy as dragging and dropping a file, and turning the camera off and back on again. It also works with a memory card that was too slow for the #8 and marginal for the #3. All in all, it's a winner for me!
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:32 AM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
Thanks for that input, Keith. BTW, did you get the package I sent?

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:36 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The ONLY similarity between ANY of the old 808 cameras and the HD key cam is the plastic case it comes in. EVRYTHING is different in the HD key cam, different CMOS module, vastly different video processor, etc. etc., and IMHO, it is erroneous to call it the #11 as was done on ChuckLohr's site. It leads to assumptions as was just posted that the #3 loaded the HD firmware. It didn't, and the black bars seen on the #3 still pictures are part of it's firmware. Even though the date removal process that the old 808 uses erases the font that gets displayed, it doesn't remove the black background they were on! Simple as that.
Correction noted - Thanks.
Mike (note to self - engage brain B4 opening mouth)
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:42 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley View Post
Thanks for that input, Keith. BTW, did you get the package I sent?

Tony
Not yet, maybe today! I'll let you know!
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:49 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
Ok, here you go, being a novice how do I make, convert MOV to WMV and not loose the HD quality? I have had a MOV from a friends Droid that looked and sounded great on the phone but when added to WMM it lost quality. Whats best for Win XP pro?
Tom J.
PS: Diana said send the brick back, and I have another one on the way.
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:38 AM
Joined May 2006
822 Posts
Ordered 2

Just ordered two from power-gps. Glad to see the date and time stamp can be removed, albeit with great caution as described in post # 3.

Kenpilot is offline Find More Posts by Kenpilot
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:08 AM
Ithaca, NY
Joined Jan 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinside View Post
So, if I'm doing the pin4-modification I can just use hot glue, right?
What is the 'pin4-modification' you are doing?
Fred79 is offline Find More Posts by Fred79
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:11 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VasMan View Post
The following video was taken with a HD key chain cam and edited entirely with OpenShot using 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx).

Vas
That's a great video! Also a fine save in such a tight area
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:43 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
941 Posts
High altitude with the 808HD on a Slowstick:
High Altitude Night Slowstick with HD Camera (5 min 47 sec)
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:03 PM
Joined Feb 2010
55 Posts
There was a post a while back that mentioned an anti-vignetting filter or plugin for VirtualDub, or maybe it was for AviDemux. Has anyone tried anything like that?

I guess the vignetting, or flashlight effect, or whatever, is really noticeable to me in the videos posted here. I remember that someone tried enlarging the opening in the case, and it made no difference. So it comes down to the lens/sensor combination they chose that causes the problem. Well, maybe that's something they would consider changing. In the meantime, I just wonder whether a software filter might help.
wayback is online now Find More Posts by wayback
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:24 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbob View Post
High altitude with the 808HD on a Slowstick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TagXHwATQLM
Kerbob,

Excellent, I watched all of the video. Well done. I don't even watch my own videos to the end.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:11 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VasMan View Post
For those of you that may be using Linux, OpenShot Video Editor works very well for editing HD videos.
Thanks for the link to the OpenShot project. Though only compiled for Liunux right now, I see they are soliciting programmer support to cross-compile for Windows platforms. I'll be keeping an eye on this... for open source freeware, this editor has a ton of features not found in other open source editors. I'd send in some $$ donation for the author's effort on something like this if it works well!

BTW, although not humorous to you at the time I'm sure, the slo-mo shot of your prop fluttering away in the breeze made me chuckle a bit having had similar things happen, but with no camera on board to capture it. It's really neat how these little cameras can capture events like that for later "enjoyment" Good that it happened at altitude where you had the time and room to do a very meticulous deadstick landing. Nice recovery!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:19 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Tony, I personally think the HD camera is a little easier to use than the #3 was. It actually has a charge LED to let you know when it's charging and when it's done. It's buttons are easier to figure out, and the webcam mode actually works on Windows 7 (and looks great too). For some, the h.264 compression in the .mov container can be an issue, but I was already set up for editing it having a couple of other cameras that produce the same kind of video. Removing the timestamp is as easy as dragging and dropping a file, and turning the camera off and back on again. It also works with a memory card that was too slow for the #8 and marginal for the #3. All in all, it's a winner for me!
I'll second this! Many of us are really picky about tweaking things, and much of the early posting has been in regards to that.

This camera works very well right out of the box, is much better than my #3 808 cams, and there should be no concern with removing the time/date stamp with any camera purchased now. I need to go back and edit my early post about this. Only two early purchasers have had any problem with the procedure bricking their camera, and the vendors are replacing those for free.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Closed Thread