SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 24, 2011, 03:10 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer View Post
Still getting the lock up even after selecting Atto and aircraft #2. Sometimes it will download all the parameters, sometimes it will only get 30 or 40 before it hard locks and I have to give it the three finger salute! After being connected for about 15 seconds or so, it loses comms and that lovely voice (can we change that? I bet I can get a sultry lady to record those) tells me I've lost it.
Gene,

Try something for me. Go up to file and in the settings there is Heartbeat settings. Go into there and turn number 6 off. Let me know if this does anything at all.

Chris
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2011, 06:24 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,406 Posts
First time, it downloaded to $123 then locked solid. Didn't even get the voice notification that time either.
Unplugged the desktop modem to release
Close GCS and get the lovely "HK GCS encountered a problem and had to close"
Plug modem back in
Start GCS
Select Attopilot and aircraft #2 as per Ad's comment.
Hit CONNECT, and it downloads to #33 parameters - then locks.

All modems set to 9600,N,8,1
CenTexFlyer is online now Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old May 24, 2011, 10:54 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer View Post
First time, it downloaded to $123 then locked solid. Didn't even get the voice notification that time either.
Unplugged the desktop modem to release
Close GCS and get the lovely "HK GCS encountered a problem and had to close"
Plug modem back in
Start GCS
Select Attopilot and aircraft #2 as per Ad's comment.
Hit CONNECT, and it downloads to #33 parameters - then locks.

All modems set to 9600,N,8,1
Call me!
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old May 26, 2011, 11:58 AM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,406 Posts
Still fighting

I may have another clue for you smart RF guys out there. Attached is a screen shot of what happens when try to connect Atto with the GCS. Couple of questions for you guys that are using the Xbees.....

1. What model of the Xbee are you using? The XSC is limited to 9600 which could be a problem.
2. Could someone who is using an XBee send me their configuration file?
Last edited by CenTexFlyer; May 26, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old May 26, 2011, 01:04 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
No, that's just the first message...it's partial so the GCS doesn't know what to do with it.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 26, 2011, 03:14 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,406 Posts
So would that cause the GCS to lock up?
Old May 26, 2011, 03:24 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Nope. You can see it's parsing messages after that. It's read and interpreted 4 messages after that (the $A1 to $A4). Is that all you get and then it locks up?
Last edited by HappyKillmore; May 26, 2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:04 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,406 Posts
That's the thing. When I do a fresh "connect" it sometimes gets all the way to $123 before it locks up. When I unplug, it does release your GCS but then I get an "unhandled exception error" and I have to restart. When I restart, it never gets past $40 before it locks up.

Spent time with the Digi support guys and they suggest that I get someone's config that works and upload it to my modems. But they also hinted that it could be a buffer overflow since the XSC modem would only go as high as 9600 while the other model Xbees would go as high as 1.5kbs but just don't have the range.

I feel sure it's not the Atto, since it's just dumping out data and I don't think it could lock my desktop remotely. Other folks are using the Xbees successfully with the Atto/HKGCS so it's gotta be in the modem (XSC) or the transfer protocols.

Wouldn't you think?

Gene
Old May 26, 2011, 11:21 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I can't say for sure. I have 2.4GHz X-Bee's here that I use for testing. I just changed my Atto to 9600 and both X-Bee's and mine ran just fine. I've been waiting a month now for my 900MHz X-Bee's to arrive, but they aren't the XSC's...

Have you called Chris? He was seeing some real performance problems with the 9xtends at 9600. Something like a 1-2 second delay on everything.

I think I need to order a pair....

http://store.digi.com/index.cfm?fuse...Product_ID=963

EDIT: Order placed.
Last edited by HappyKillmore; May 26, 2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old May 27, 2011, 08:01 AM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,406 Posts
That's what I have. It'll be interesting to see if you can plug-n-play. Dean suggested they could've changed firmware. That wouldn't surprise me either.

As for the 9Xtends, I've never run them less than 57.6, but even they can be pretty cantankerous.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:20 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,406 Posts
Went ahead with the maiden flight on a "tactical" level with everything preloaded. Typical boring flight of Spectra/Atto combination. Let her fly around enough to test all modes and build a nice log file.

Kudos on the playback! That was VERY helpful in establishing a baseline for this setup. I'm sure with the live feed it will be much better and will become a very useful tool in our mobile command unit on searches. I've just got to get my Atto's upgraded and hooked up!

Still no joy on the Xbee XSC modems though..... this game is getting pretty old. I'd rather be flying!
Old May 27, 2011, 04:08 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
CenTex, I have to wait for my XSC's to be delivered so I'm just stabbing in the dark right now. Try 1.2.102. I changed up a timeout from 1/4 second for Atto to 1 second....
Old May 27, 2011, 06:41 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,406 Posts
Thanks Hap! I'm on it......

EDIT : .....and back to the same results. The only difference is that subsequent connect/loads would get up to $100 param before lock, but then it would also give me the unhandled exception error and boot me out.

Sure seems like it's a buffer overrun problem on the modem side. I know other folks have used these XSC's with Atto and your GCS so I'm starting to lean more toward a firmware change from Digi that is the culprit. I have two more RPSMA XSC's coming for ground station use. I can try those as well.

Thanks very much for your efforts but I don't believe it's with the GCS or the Atto.

Let's go have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Gene
Last edited by CenTexFlyer; May 27, 2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:43 AM
germany - nds
Joined May 2009
115 Posts
another good option was (in my opinion):

possibillity to save/store the atto config data in a file ... this is very usefull when users have two or more planes but only one AP.
then itīs possible to change the AP in new plane and load settings from a file, quickly.
or is this function present until today and i have averlooked this ?

cu olli
fuzna is offline Find More Posts by fuzna
Old May 30, 2011, 09:01 AM
Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, Khan Uul
Joined Jan 2011
247 Posts
Whats the smallest/lightest device which will downlink data to the HappyKillmore GCS?

I don't have room for a whole ArduPilot Mega in some of my planes.
Do any OSDs communication with an Add On XBee??
chuck99z28 is offline Find More Posts by chuck99z28