HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:34 PM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Discussion
Hey Sentry62

I know that you're looking for a quick to set up ground station... I told you I would post up some pictures of mine... here you go. I can be set up and ready to fly in under 3 minutes - 90 seconds if I hurry. I haven't taken the plane too far out - but I consistently go out past a mile with solid video.

Basic Pelican case - durable and completely water tight - also VERY expensive... I would never have used this if I didn't have a few of them sitting around. Easy to drag around with the collapsable handle.

Room for the radio, goggles, recorder, Oracle, tripod, and dual patch array.

I use a 2200mah lipo to power everything. I also have a splitter in there and dual 12v cords - that way if I want to I can hook up the 15" Craig TV as well - it would mount to the top of the tripod or just sit in the back of the car / golf cart. The 2200mah has JUST enough juice for a 20 minute flight powering the TV along with everything else. If I used the TV regularly I would go to a much larger battery.

I have about 8' of cable to get the patches away from everything and about 8 feet or so of feed cable to the goggles (or TV).

I built a wood bracket that velcro's to the tripod - the parches attach at 40 degrees - again - by velcro. The dual recievers are mounted on the back. The bracket that the patches mount to is hinged - that way I can change the altitude which they are pointing. The only thing that I would consider changing is adapting the bracket so I can change the altitude of each patch independently of each other.

Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
Last edited by Blue Chip; Dec 27, 2010 at 08:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2010, 02:02 PM
$#|+
United States, CA, Orange
Joined May 2007
1,605 Posts
try rotating one of the patches 90

Moe
mkmkmk13 is offline Find More Posts by mkmkmk13
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:19 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
NICE!!! I am taking notes!!
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Nov 01, 2010, 07:28 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Blue Chip - Thank you! I think I know how to build the mechanical part of my antenna tracker now.

Nice work!
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Nov 01, 2010, 08:46 AM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Blue Chip - Thank you! I think I know how to build the mechanical part of my antenna tracker now.

Nice work!
What part was giving you issues?
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
Old Nov 07, 2010, 01:47 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Does that tri-pod extend out pretty far?
Old Nov 07, 2010, 02:00 AM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,391 Posts
Sentry, you sent me a PM asking to see my GS that I was working on. Here it is. Made from 1/8th ply wood, it fits an oracle diversity, two 900mhz Vtx's, 3cell lipo, RSSI meter, volt meter and a power switch. There is enough room inside to add a DVR, 4way video splitter and hold a few extra parts. I intend on having it so you can screw two patch antennas on the sides and angle them but I am not that far. I wanted to put some cool plexiglass and LEDs in but I dont think Ill go all out on this one. My intention is to mount the receiver box on a tripod with a quick release to fit it in a back pack, carry the tripod on one side, a foldable chair on the other. Whatever I choose to view the video with will go in the back pack along with my RC radio. The plane will go in a 36" duffle bag. So far it looks like all I have to do is open my chair, open the tripod, mount receiver box and adjust antennas, flick on switch and go fly.

Its not done yet but I wont have time to work on it for a month after this weekend.

ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
Old Nov 07, 2010, 09:08 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
I totally appreciate everyone's time here. I'm very visual and this information is priceless to me!! Thank you very much!! I think I'll take a few ideas from every1 to put a highly mobile system together.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 05:04 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,997 Posts
This is even simpler. Just attach the patches to the lid, then swing it open. RXs mount on rear of patches.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn