HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:03 PM
--
United States, WA, Ravensdale
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Great job Sully! I can honestly say I would have probably dumb-thumbed it after that vertical climb! Nice job keeping your composure and doing the right thing to keep her moving and flying. Every single time one of my Habu's went nose high it ended in either damage or disaster.

I wish you had video of that!

I'm charging my "Skypo" as I type...I'm getting greedy...I want more than one flight a day.
There might be video... still not sure, but one of the guys had his camera out and at least 'thinks' he was taking video of the flight... but at some point, realized that he wasn't... so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what he's got. I also want to have more than one flight per day... I bought two of those batteries, but have only been able to use one per day, due to my silly nosegear issues.

I left the house at 0630 this morning, and didn't get home until about 1400... so going out to the garage to make the repair for tomorrow might be a touchy subject with the wifey... maybe if I tell her that it will only take a few minutes, she'll believe me -- this time!
Cobra68 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra68
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:15 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Yeah, my wife pretty much expects me out in the garage most the time, lol...

Well, I went for another flight! Mission #6 (don't worry folks, I will stop posting every single flight after #10 unless there's some significance...) was another great flight. Hand toss was a bit more wobbly than I wanted but I think it's because I'm experimenting trying to toss by standing still. I have better success when I take a few small running steps and then launch.

Even still, as long as I don't slip on the stick while I'm tossing her and force her in a really bad situation, it appears that the old "Keystone Cop" hand launches are in the rear view mirror. I wish I would have figured everything out five or six air frames ago! Oh well, better late than never they say.

I was WOT about 95% of the 3:55 flight and the battery was hotter than before. Still, no puffing at all. Landed dead stick from about 25 feet up...Giving her just a tiny bit of down stick the whole way and she lands without incident. Starting to feel routine now.

The key, which I wish I really grasped in the past:

NEVER FLARE. Fly her all the way to the ground whether with power or not with the nose forward. (if not, you better have that down stick working).
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,490 Posts
Quote:
The key, which I wish I really grasped in the past:

NEVER FLARE. Fly her all the way to the ground whether with power or not (if not, you better have that down stick working).
Glad you finally got the hang of not flairing. Congrats!
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:01 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
I just wish it didn't take me 100 times to hear what others are trying to tell me, LOL.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:50 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Success! Flights #3 and #4!

I had two successful flights this morning, and got some video this time. Sorry for the quality, but it was shot with my iPhone.

I'm not as computer savvy as I probably should be, and can't seem to figure out how to save the videos from my iPhone onto my computer... so here are the YouTube links if anybody wants to watch them...

Flight #3 (Higher Definition):
SR-71 Flight #3 HD (2 min 50 sec)

Flight #3 (Standard Definition):
SR-71 Flight #3 (2 min 50 sec)

Flight #4 (Higher Definition):
SR-71 Flight #4 HD (3 min 6 sec)

Flight #4 (Standard Definition):
SR-71 Flight #4 (3 min 6 sec)

Cheers,
Sully
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:48 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Nice job Sully! Ya fly her just like she wants to be flown. Get her on the race track in the sky and let her go! Nothing beats a low, WOT Habu pass that's for sure. Not sure what your actual speed is but that first WOT pass sure looks over 100...

Nice job on the landings!

I got back from Mission #7. Hand toss got a little away from me but I was able to quickly recover and off she went to the races. I'm afraid to try rolling her since I'm having so much fun and luck without trying to push it. I'm sure it would be no problem but why fix what isn't broken, right? lol...

Came in with some power and plopped her down nice and easy. Now that I'm past the habit of flaring, it's becoming routine. Can't wait for those other "Skypos" to arrive so I can have more than one flight with her at a time!

Again, nice job Sully! Thanks for posting video.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:20 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Aros,

Thanks for the kind words! This plane really is a pleasure to fly... and she flies like she's on rails! I'm actually even starting to feel a bit more comfortable with the landings (which, for me, make me more anxious than any other phase of flight). Personally, I think that a slight flare is OK... I don't really have the option of just letting her plop back to Earth unless I want to fix my landing gear after each flight... and I had to do that after the first two flights, and it got old really quick.

As for the speed... I can't really tell just how fast she's going. I've got two of the Phase3 F-16's... both with the EagleTree airspeed indicators in them. On my 3-cell bird, I can consistently get it to 93-95mph... the 4-cell bird seems to average out around 105mph with a personal record speed of 110mph. This is a much larger plane, and I think that makes her look slower than she really is - but my guess (after flying the F-16's with airspeed probes) is that she's somewhere in the high 90's... maybe low 100's... I just can't say for certain. I might have to try to run that RCSpeedo program on these videos to see what that comes up with. The airspeed indicator might be a mod worth making, down the road... but right now, she's flying well, and I don't really want to change anything.

Congrats on #7!

-Sully
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:36 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Oh yeah I definitely hear on on the gear...Boy it's a fine line though for sure...Flaring just enough to not destroy your gear but not too much to get the nose sailing skyward. That's one advantage of the belly lander...No worry about gear to destroy.

Well, #9 has a sister. Habu2!

She's pretty dinged up but it's just cosmetic stuff I can fix. I need to hook everything up and see what I'm dealing with...I may try to fly it stock or I may rip everything out and have Don hook me up with another power setup like my #9 has...Time to slap some flat black on her!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:47 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
I got Habu2 ready for the maiden...Suddenly I hear the ESC disarming and re-arming...I take a closer look at the Dean's and there was electrical tape wrapped around the sodered portion. Bad connector/soder job...Good thing I noticed it before I hand chucked her!

So the maiden will have to wait for this week...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:37 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Well, #9 has a sister. Habu2!

She's pretty dinged up but it's just cosmetic stuff I can fix. I need to hook everything up and see what I'm dealing with...I may try to fly it stock or I may rip everything out and have Don hook me up with another power setup like my #9 has...Time to slap some flat black on her!
Technically, I think this is #10!!! (But who's really counting anymore?)

As for keeping her stock... I think you'll be disappointed if you do. I built my 3-cell Phase3 F-16 and had a blast flying it... then I built a 4S version with a Wicked 4000 motor that I had gotten from a friend... and now the 3S version rarely ever gets flown. It's only about 10mph slower, but for some reason, she's just not as much fun to fly. The hand launches actually require a real toss, where the 4S one just flies out of my hand...

Quote:
I got Habu2 ready for the maiden...Suddenly I hear the ESC disarming and re-arming...I take a closer look at the Dean's and there was electrical tape wrapped around the sodered portion. Bad connector/soder job...Good thing I noticed it before I hand chucked her!

So the maiden will have to wait for this week...
All the more reason to gut her and build her for speed!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Yes you are right, I know once I fly her stock I will want to get Don's setup in her. I'll still maiden and trim her out first. Going to get her sodered up today.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:41 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Does anyone think I will have a problem using the Sky Lipo 4000 40C in the stock setup?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:00 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone think I will have a problem using the Sky Lipo 4000 40C in the stock setup?
It depends... you need to consider two avenues: Is the battery big enough? Is the battery too big?

What's the plane have in it right now as far as motors and ESC's??? If the motors are running much higher than 4,000kV, you'll probably want to stick to a 3S battery. Likewise, if the ESC's are 40A, you may also want to stick to 3S.

First, I'd put your watt meter on that set-up and run it on both 3S and (maybe) 4S (depending on what's inside)... I can't imagine that anyone built a more power-hungry setup than what you got from Don (if they did, they probably wouldn't have sold it... it would have been too awesome to sell)... but the only way to know for sure is to check it. I'm pretty sure that you'll be pulling less amperage than you are pulling with twin Wickeds... so with respect to the battery being big enough, you should be fine.

The second consideration, is whether the motors/fans/ESC's that are in there now can handle the 4S pack... do you know what the previous owner used (3S or 4S)? My guess is that if you only have 40A speedo's, you're going to be limited to 3S, or very short bursts on 4S (not the best idea to have your left thumb being the only thing from keeping you from frying your ESC's)... again, the wattmeter will be helpful in determining how much throttle you can use, should you choose to try and run 4S on a 40A speedo.

If the fans aren't balanced well, they may be able to handle the RPM's of a 3S setup... but may self-destruct on a 4S battery (don't ask me how I know this...).

If you don't want to spend the time trying to figure all of that out... slap that 4S battery in there and run it at WOT (in the safety of your garage). If the motors come apart, or the speedo's burn up... then call Don and order up another set of Wicked's and fly with a known entity... it will give you the justification that you need to buy the stuff that you really wanted to put in there anyways...

-Sully
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:21 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Thanks Sully for the well-informed response! I sent an email to the original owner who said he can't for the life of him remember what is in it...I'm going to assume it's the normal stock setup which I believe are 30A ESCs (according to BH's specs) which they call for a 14.8V 4S 2200mAh 25C...Sheesh, talk about a flying brick!

I'll try a 3S first to be safe and check what the wattmeter reads. I don't care about these stock electronics, if they fry, they fry, but I don't want to destroy yet another airframe in the process.

I've had may share of doing that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:24 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Actually, looking at the BH photos, those little 30A ESCs sit snug in those little housing areas...The ESCs in this one are in the middle section and are much larger, so maybe they are 40-60A?
RCG Plus Member