HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2014, 07:01 AM
United Kingdom, Ystalyfera
Joined Apr 2013
7 Posts
Discussion
Pitts S1 setup advice needed

I have a 54" electric Pitts S1 teased from the hands of a friend which he acquired as a swap.
The model is a 6S setup on a 400KV motor pulling 4.3Kgs at1600W. The model weighs 3.8 Kgs.
The only information I have found so far, mostly through guesswork, is the CofG should be at the leading edge of the lower wing and the control movements should be 15mm Aileron/Elevator and 25mm Rudder.
I'm not familiar with bipes and particularly electric ones. Does this setup sound acceptable for this type of model?
vartegrich is online now Find More Posts by vartegrich
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2014, 08:05 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,044 Posts
Yes.

Suggest programming in low rates about 60% of the quoted as well ...

It may help to give a bit of expo as well to even out the linear factor of movement (servos have more effect near centre than at extreme ... geometry !) .. so maybe a 20 - 30% Expo ? Maybe more on Rudder to quell ground handling.

My 48" Pitts S2c had 10mm on Ail / El and 25mm on Rudder as full recc'd in book. I set-up at 15mm Ail / El and 30mm Rudder at full with 30% expo on Ail / El and 50% on rudder. Low rates are 8mm Ail / El and 15mm Rudder and 30% expo on all. Most flights had low rate El and full rate Ail / Rudd ..
I then set her as book and reduced Low rate to about 60% of full.

Pitts are short wingspan models and have strong roll / pitch moments .. so unless you push CoG really forward - they have good authority from the control surfaces.

As said - set those up - but dial in low rates as well just in case !! Make sure that CoG is correct .. This is an aerobatic machine that bites if you get it wrong.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Dec 07, 2014, 08:43 AM
Joined Apr 2013
7 Posts
Thanks for the information Nigel. Looking at your settings, my guess doesn't look too far off.
I've had a few feisty aircraft in the past and I'm not particularly worried about a model with a little character. The main thing was to assess if my guesstimate was close enough to make a safe first flight.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 11:01 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
9,044 Posts
Any chance you can put up a few pictures of her .. from a few different angles so we can try and identify what model she is ... ie factory ?

That way we might be able to get some real manufacturers info ...

Nigel
Old Dec 07, 2014, 01:02 PM
Joined Apr 2013
7 Posts
I've attached a couple of photos.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 02:23 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
9,044 Posts
That's a pretty distinctive Pitts scheme ... is it factory applied ? Looks very elaborate for an owner to create.

Any indication of Manufacturer ? Sticker or marks anywhere ?

Very nice !

Nigel
Old Dec 07, 2014, 02:56 PM
Joined Apr 2013
7 Posts
As far as I know, it was originally white and a custom trim scheme has been applied.
There are no manufacturer marks that I can see, and I've not been able to spot a similar model with a 54" wingspan.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 03:02 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
9,044 Posts
Whoever applied it seems to have done a good job.

Here's mine ... again that emphasis on the Stars and Stripes theme ...

But mine is the standard Kyosho factory scheme ...

Nigel
Old Dec 07, 2014, 03:09 PM
Joined Apr 2013
7 Posts
Unfortunately I can't take any reward for the scheme. There are some clever people out there.
Is yours the S2?
Old Dec 07, 2014, 04:09 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
9,044 Posts
Kyosho Pitts S2c GP40 ..... its designed to take a 40 - 45 Glow engine - reason for the GP40 in the name.
Guy who put her together in UK fitted an old Mk1 Irvine 53 .. and apart from being inverted making her hard to start - once running is an absolute dream.
Only modification I made was to fit a remote glow connector. Being inverted made it hard to find the glow-plug to stick the ignitor on... couple of quid and that's sorted.

Kyosho Pitts S2c Maiden 31 10 2014 (5 min 22 sec)

Nigel
Old Dec 07, 2014, 04:23 PM
Joined Apr 2013
7 Posts
Goes well on the Irvine, I'll be more than happy if i get similar performance.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 04:26 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
9,044 Posts
Keep in touch .. PM / email or here .. always interested to hear others .. and if anything I can help with ... I'm no expert or great flyer .. just an average joe ...

Cheers
Nigel
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:50 AM
Joined Apr 2013
7 Posts
Little more progress. Now worked out its a Jamara S1S Pitts. C of G should be 4.5cm back from leading edge of top wing and throws are 45mm rudder, 25mm elevator and 15mm ailerons.