HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2013, 09:59 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2004
40 Posts
Discussion
Black Hawk Models Nova (Nomad)

Just received a Black Hawk Models Nova, updated version of Ted Straders Nomad powered sailplane. Nice kit, laser cut wood, quite complete. I plan to power with an .020 as the original so going to keep things light, covering with either silkspan or silk. It was designed for single channel however I'd like to have elevator as well, hoping the addition of one additional micro servo won't be a deal breaker. Has anyone built a 2 ch Nomad ?? Any other tips or recomendations regarding this old favorite most welcome !!

Scott
Scott Engelhart is offline Find More Posts by Scott Engelhart
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:12 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Engelhart View Post
Has anyone built a 2 ch Nomad ?? Any other tips or recomendations regarding this old favorite most welcome !!

Scott
I built one of the original Nomads many years ago and used a rubber powered escapement for control (or lack of control). If the Black Hawk Nomad follows the original plan for the wing, you will need to be careful when covering the wing to avoid torsional warps. Silk and/or silkspan can add significant pull in the wing structure. Mine was covered with silkspan and dope.

With today's electronics, likely your AUW will be less than the original design and the addition of elevator control will make for a much more enjoyable model. There's more than sufficient wing area to provide light wing loading and 2S Lipo with BEC should give you excellent flight times.

andrew
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Aug 18, 2013, 02:27 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2004
40 Posts
Andrew,
Thanks for your response, my first RC was an Esquire with an escapement for control (or lack of) also. Black Hawks Nomad has a spar added to the wing for strength as they used an .049, I will use one of my pee wee .020s. I may use this build as an excuse to by a new radio, could you elaborate on the "lipo 2s with BEC". I have always had Futaba radios, was considering a 2.4 ghz hopefully with a small receiver battery pack.

Scott
Old Aug 18, 2013, 04:11 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,959 Posts
Scott:

What was the cost of your Nomad kit? I notice that Black Hawk Models doesn't Have prices on their online catalog.

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Aug 18, 2013, 06:04 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2004
40 Posts
Dave,
The price was $59.95, when I called to order I was told they don't "sell direct". I was given the phone number of someone who sells their kits, however her hours were basically when I work, and there was no web site. While ordering some parts from Cox International I saw they sold the kit, so I ordered it from them and I received it quite promptly.

Scott
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:24 AM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
469 Posts
1S li-pos

I got brave a while back and decided to try the product from HobbyKing that takes a 1S li-po and boosts it to 5 volts.

I figured I could use a fresh li-po for each flight - and since I was using a TD .010 powered model - and two 5-gram servos - I wouldn't be in the air long and the current demand wouldn't be excessive. I'm happy to report that the combination works "a treat" (as they say over there). I tested the cells after each flight and found that I used no more than half of it's capacity. The big bonus is weight reduction (OK, OK, the 1S thingies are cheap and quick to charge and I think they reproduce in my pocket).

For what its worth , I'm thinking my next use of this package is in a Rudder/Throttle model - perhaps the kit I recently got from Black Hawk Models ("follow me Chop Chop, Hawkaaaa !")
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:28 AM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Raymond,

Thank you for posting that info. I have been thinking about trying a setup like this for a while now, but wasn't sure if the little 1 cell batteries could hold up. By chance, did you use one of these: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...AL&idCategory=? Also, what size (mAh) batteries did you use?

Thanks,
KP

P.S. Scott, I hope you don't mind me swinging your thread a bit. Maybe this info will be useful/helpful to you.
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:35 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Engelhart View Post
Dave,
The price was $59.95, when I called to order I was told they don't "sell direct". I was given the phone number of someone who sells their kits, however her hours were basically when I work, and there was no web site. While ordering some parts from Cox International I saw they sold the kit, so I ordered it from them and I received it quite promptly.

Scott
Thanks for the good info Scott.

Regards;

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:41 AM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
469 Posts
Dear KP,

The only reason I responded to this Nomad thread about the 1S li-po option was that I considered it perfect for a glow-powered Nomad/Nova - and in fact would be what I use if I hadn't intended to electrocute mine. That being said, I use the cheapest of HobbyKing's products and the ubiquitous 160 mah, 25C li_pos.
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member