HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:15 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,227 Posts
Hi Tom,

Can you get to it from this thread and see it? Or doesn't it show up ?

I don't want to clog up my "regular" video on my channel with a bunch of test videos.

I will be posting a regular edited video from tonight's flying as my public video probably tomorrow. I've got pictures, T-28 front and rear videos, and the quadcopter thing to mix together all from the HD KFC.

If the raw video above isn't playing here I'll be happy to post it as public.

Just keeping things tidy.

Joe

Opps !!! Ok now I get it... I thought I posted it as unlisted. But I had it as private..... Duh. I'm a moron. It's now set to unlisted so it should be easier to see. sorry.

Let me know you guys can see it OK.
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Last edited by Joespeeder; Feb 11, 2011 at 01:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:09 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
Hey Guys,

Here's another test video.... Get out your air sickness bags !!! I velcro'd my HD KF cam to the bottom of my PZ T-28 at a small gym fly tonight.
[/url]
Surely that's an UM T-28?
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Feb 11, 2011, 05:12 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,616 Posts
Recording with a 32GB MicroSDHC - and problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Those are probably SEQUENTIAL write figures. If you do more testing, try the CrystalDiskMark utility and post what you get for RANDOM write speeds with the 512k block size. 2 MB/sec is a very good number. I will not be surprised if the Sandisk CL2 card beats the Kingston CL4 in that category, too. The Sandisk CL4 card beats most CL6 cards in that category, which is the more important write speed test for these flash cards.

The HD key cam appears to have a much faster video processor chip, and doesn't have dropped frames like the old 808 key cams. I only use CL6 cards, but lesser cards should still give good performance with the HD key cam, but so far no minimum write speed has been identified to assure no dropped frames for the HD key cam.
Tom, you are absolutely correct about the Kingston Class 4 cards. The results are more than dissapointing. I couldn't believe the results so I tried a different card, but the results were almost identical. I'll definitely keep to SanDisk, even if they are only Class 2.
The sequential write of the Kingston gave me 4.876 MB/s with CrystalDiskMark. I have not seen any 32GB Class 6 cards advertised yet.

Results from CrystalDiskMark Random speeds with 512K block size using a 32GB micro SDHC card

Kingston Class 4
Read: 17.56 MB/s
Write: 0.688 MB/s

SanDisk Class 2
Read: 14.09 MB/s
Write: 5.175 MB/s

I made a temporary cable using the E-Charger cable and a 2.5mm socket/USB and connected this to a Just Mobile USB battery pack.
I got a total of 19 x 20min clips and 1 x 15min clip giving me a total recording time of 6hours and 35mins. The clips have a data rate of approx. 10 Mb/s.
I knew when the camera had finished because it became cold. There was plenty of charge left in the external battery pack.

Technical note to avoid confusion: MB/s = Mega Bytes per second, Mb/s = Mega bits per second. Mega = Million.

I'm not sure how stable these cameras are when it comes to long-time recording with a 32GB card, because now my problems began...

I connected the camera to my PC to view the files. Everything went fine. Then I Safely Removed the camera from the PC. I then unplugged it - I did not turn off the camera first - maybe that was the problem.
The camera was now DEAD as a doormouse.
When connected to a PC or a Power source, the red light lit for a few seconds but there was no way that I could get the yellow light to show. I tried everything - 30 seconds reset with and without pressing other buttons, all sorts of combinations. Nothing, nada. After about 20 minutes I gave up and went to bed.
This morning, still nothing. I kept on pressing buttons and suddenly the yellow light came on and I could take movies and pictures After about a minute I turned the camera off. And of course it was dead again After more pressing buttons the camera came to life again, and since then has worked perfectly.
To me, it seems that the internal lipo supplies too much voltage after the long charging/recording time and doesn't turn on, but I don't understand this theory!

Anyway, now I have started my next 6 hour recording. We'll see what happens...

[Edit]
OK, another 6hours and 35mins. Almost exactly the same time as my previous test. This time I used the Kingston Class 4 as opposed to the SanDisk Class 2 on my previous test. No problems.
This time I replaced the card with an empty card and did not connect the camera to the PC at the end of the recording. I used a card reader instead. The camera works perfectly. No hang! So this is what I'll be doing in the future.

Firmware bug found
Has anybody else noticed that the date/time for each 20 minute clip advances by 2 HOURS!! The date advances by about 39 HOURS for a six hour recording - Not good...
I have sent an email to "Apple", so I wonder what she has to say
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Feb 11, 2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 08:48 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,227 Posts
Hi mclarkson,

Yup, it's the Micro T-28. I find I could cruise around about 1/2 throttle with the cam velcro'd to the bottom over the battery area. I flew with out the landing gear and belly landed on the cam !!

I think I punched one of the buttons once doing this as I have one file that showed in explorer but wouldn't open. Opps... I doubt I'll be flying the cam on the T-28 much or maybe I'll convert it to a tail dragger to protect the cam.

EDIT: I found the video. Duh.... I forgot i just swapped the cam around without turning it off. So that dead file would have had to been something I goofed up when taking stills with the cam.

Next Tuesday Underdog gets his turn to carry the cam

I'm processing a 6 minute flight through Avidemux right now. I have the process set to high priority and it's taking about 40 minutes to convert, HQ3D, asharpen, and rotate 180. To process multiple vids and then edit them through Avidmux will be a time consuming endeavor for me.

Once I see the final video I'll choose which converter to use.

Joe
Last edited by Joespeeder; Feb 11, 2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:54 PM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,633 Posts
I still haven't received my HD keychain camera, so maybe someone can help a little in the meantime.
I just measured the lens on one of the non HD cameras and it has an M5.5 x 0.35P thread (as far as I can measure at least). Could someone see if it's the same lens thread size?
I'm asking because I've found a supplier for wide angle lenses... well, in theory at least, I have no idea if they sell in small quantities yet; but it's worth taking a look.
Apparently the name of the manufacturer is Misumi, here's the page with the lenses. The 2.1mm focal length lenses have a FoV of 158 degrees, about the same as a GoPro Hero camera I think; I'm not sure of the FoV for the 3.1mm focal length ones, but I suppose those should be better?
OK, I see that the Inquiry button open a request form and apparently the minimum order is 100 pieces; if I could confirm the thread size of the lens then I could ask for a quotation and see how much is it per piece.
AleG is offline Find More Posts by AleG
Old Feb 11, 2011, 05:07 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleG View Post
I still haven't received my HD keychain camera, so maybe someone can help a little in the meantime.
I just measured the lens on one of the non HD cameras and it has an M5.5 x 0.35P thread (as far as I can measure at least). Could someone see if it's the same lens thread size?
I'm asking because I've found a supplier for wide angle lenses... well, in theory at least, I have no idea if they sell in small quantities yet; but it's worth taking a look.
Apparently the name of the manufacturer is Misumi, here's the page with the lenses. The 2.1mm focal length lenses have a FoV of 158 degrees, about the same as a GoPro Hero camera I think; I'm not sure of the FoV for the 3.1mm focal length ones, but I suppose those should be better?
OK, I see that the Inquiry button open a request form and apparently the minimum order is 100 pieces; if I could confirm the thread size of the lens then I could ask for a quotation and see how much is it per piece.
The HD key cam has a nominal M7 thread, not M6 like the old 808. I see they show an M7 x .5 lens with integral IR filter (needed!), but I don't know the pitch on the HD lens. I think this one has a coarse thread, and the camera needs the fine thread. Mine is all re-focused, so I don't want to disassemble now to measure it.

I found some other lenses with M7 x .35 thread. They cost about $25 each and available in single quantity, but has plastic aspheric optics, but no integral IR filter on the back of the lens like the stock one. And the focal length is 3.8... about what the stock lens is.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 11, 2011, 05:46 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Tom, you are absolutely correct about the Kingston Class 4 cards. The results are more than dissapointing.

Results from CrystalDiskMark Random speeds with 512K block size using a 32GB micro SDHC card

Kingston Class 4
Read: 17.56 MB/s
Write: 0.688 MB/s

SanDisk Class 2
Read: 14.09 MB/s
Write: 5.175 MB/s

I got a total of 19 x 20min clips and 1 x 15min clip giving me a total recording time of 6hours and 35mins. The clips have a data rate of approx. 10 Mb/s.

I connected the camera to my PC to view the files. Everything went fine. Then I Safely Removed the camera from the PC. I then unplugged it - I did not turn off the camera first - maybe that was the problem.
The camera was now DEAD as a doormouse.
When connected to a PC or a Power source, the red light lit for a few seconds but there was no way that I could get the yellow light to show. I tried everything - 30 seconds reset with and without pressing other buttons, all sorts of combinations. Nothing, nada. After about 20 minutes I gave up and went to bed.
This morning, still nothing. I kept on pressing buttons and suddenly the yellow light came on and I could take movies and pictures After about a minute I turned the camera off. And of course it was dead again After more pressing buttons the camera came to life again, and since then has worked perfectly.

Firmware bug found
Has anybody else noticed that the date/time for each 20 minute clip advances by 2 HOURS!! The date advances by about 39 HOURS for a six hour recording - Not good...
I have sent an email to "Apple", so I wonder what she has to say
Wow! Your CDM random write speed for the SD 32GB CL2 card is more than DOUBLE that of the SD 4GB CL2 card. I guess the smaller architecture of the larger memory crammed into the same size package can really reduce the memory access time a lot! My CL6 Transcend 4GB card tests just a tad under the SD 4GB CL2 card. So for recording speed, the SD CL2 card is as good as any CL6 card I've seen tested yet, but for writing or sequential writing, the CL6 card is considerably faster.

I haven't seen that date stamp discrepancy on my consecutive 20 min. clips, but then my camera only records at an average of 7 Mbps, not 10 Mbps like yours, and my files do not save automatically when battery power is lost. I've brought "file save" problem to the attention of Apple, and partner Diana, since this will need to be resolves when they come out with the continuous recording feature soon. I also brought up the fact that some cameras routinely record at an average data rate of 10 Mbps rather than 7 Mbps, and they can only say the data rate varies with the images being recorded and the speed of the card. I agree with that... I've seen mine go up over 13 Mbps on an instantaneous basis, but for all the videos I've shot so far, they all drop to an average of about 7 Mbps. And I'm getting no dropped frames reported, so the speed of the card should not impact the average data rate of the recorded video as I see it. My card is capturing every thing the camera is outputting to it, and I'm satisfied with the lower data rate... quality is still very high, with more recording time on the card.

Could that camera problem you mentioned be a dirty or intermittant switch on the camera?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:21 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,227 Posts
Hey Guys,

Here's the latest video shot entirely with the #11 Keyfob HD Cam.

I ended up using Freemake to convert the videos into AVi then edit with WMM, save to HD and uplaod to Youtube. Freemake was MUCH faster to convert my files and I was able to do all of them as a batch.

I wanted to get this project done, I will go back later and try to convert a file with Avidemux without having it do the rotate filter like I did before. WMM does that and maybe that will speed up the process since I will be reducing the number of filters Avidemux has to run.

I got more video than I needed last night and you can only watch a little plane go in tiny circles so long. I tried to break up the video to make it more interesting. You notice a debris field from a PZ Sukhoi that strayed into the main rotors of a heli waiting there with open arms

In our last flights we had a group of us flying low and fast with micro PZ planes. Small scale pylon racing style. I went record the action and the hungry Heli came back out so I had to fly a lop sided circuit. Not as dramatic as the previous flight but fun.

Enjoy and be sure to watch it in HD !!

PMAC Indoor 2011 - HD Keyfob Cam (9 min 1 sec)

Joe
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:37 PM
Earth
Joined Oct 2009
349 Posts
I have received mine today too

Here is my test at low light
#11 Real HD Key chain Camera - Low light testing (0 min 49 sec)
FlyLT is offline Find More Posts by FlyLT
Old Feb 11, 2011, 07:48 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,905 Posts
FlyLT, you need to reverse your video...the cars are on the wrong side of the road!!
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Feb 11, 2011, 07:49 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLT View Post
I have received mine today too

Here is my test at low lighthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3AZbjPwLzk

What's not to like?
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:28 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,398 Posts
That looks really great, actually.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:56 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,981 Posts
Eagle Over Aldarra

I finally got my replacement camera in the air when a day of really nice weather arrived. This camera has a different CMOS sensor array than my original camera. While it still has similar high color saturation and contrast that I needed to correct during editing, and a touch of sharpness added, the corner-to-corner focus of this camera is very good for AV after I adjusted the focus. While I don't have the old camera to compare, it sure seems this one has better white balance and less color "hunting" during slight changes in light level. here's the link:
Eagle Over Aldarra

The original plays a little smoother in addition to having better resolution.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 12, 2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 04:05 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,398 Posts
nice
Old Feb 12, 2011, 04:35 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
I just received another camera, and conclusion: it's always recording at 10000 kb/s! My first one is normally on 7000 kb/s and sometimes at 10000 kb/s (depending if you first switched to photo mode).

New camera also has red lens, compared to blue for the first one.

New camera is also much sharper. But could be focussing issue of the first camera. Allthough it's strange since the new camera is sharper for both the close objects (couple of feet) and for distant objects (infinite). So I wonder it this is only the focus. Except if the focus on the first cam is beyond infinite .
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Closed Thread