HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:26 PM
Joined Oct 2012
188 Posts
Rant
'Responsible' flying...hmmm

An example of why model flying sometimes gets a bad name. Total and utter idiocy, with everyone launching models in every direction straight at people. Note the guy hit by a model at 2:16 - he never even saw it coming.

The hypocritical BMFA should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this at one of their meetings.

There's a Part 2 video which is even worse; planes skimming the ground and plunging straight down into spectators - some of whom seem more intent on drinking from beer cans and acting more like a football crowd than 'aeromodellers'.

Yes, it's all 'good fun' until someone - or their child - gets hurt.

① FREE FLIGHT MAYHEM - BMFA NATIONALS RAF BARKSTON HEATH - 2013 (PART 1) (9 min 46 sec)

regards
Harry
Harry Rule is offline Find More Posts by Harry Rule
Last edited by Harry Rule; Mar 25, 2014 at 06:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:37 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,085 Posts
ES&D it's still fun and that's what free flight is. As you can see the veryWIDE open area they fly in. But then that 's the English for ya. I too think there should be a margin of safety here,but how do you control FREE FLIGHT plane once launched they're own their own. Even well trimed plane are still at the mercy of the winds.
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:18 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,425 Posts
Very dangerous that nonsense. I don't like it at all.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:51 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,221 Posts
Hi, well, here in Mexico, in the field where i go to fly, when we are in a contest, the rules are very clear, just pilots in the launch zone, MUST wear an helmet , and just one plane in the air. the audience need to be stand at least 50 meters far away.
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Old Mar 26, 2014, 01:51 AM
groundlooped
sydney nsw australia
Joined Mar 2005
280 Posts
an accident waiting to happen seems to be NO spectator or flight line control,the worst that I've seen here in OZ was a mass Ebanezer launch about 10 years ago,
groundlooped is offline Find More Posts by groundlooped
Old Mar 26, 2014, 01:54 AM
Joined Mar 2007
978 Posts
If you don't like it, stay away. Problem solved.

If you attend that event ... as I have, many times ... you will discover that it is the most joyous occasion.

You will never see more smiling people, hear such laughter and screams of delight. The most fun you can have with your clothes on.

It's exactly what model flying is all about.

Marshalls and regulation kill the fun, stone-dead.
bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Mar 26, 2014, 03:50 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
9,883 Posts
There is more control these days than there used to be but they take a remarkably sympathetic view of things....a few overweight or untrimmable models are turned away, a few general warnings, advice to people with children to keep them out of the way, advice to spectators to stay up wind etc. But basically the flyers are treated as adults at play and as bogbeagle says it's brilliant fun.

The evening free flight at the Nats has been going on for many years now with many dire warnings every year and many people who've never tried it wanting it banned (as far as I can see on the usual grounds of "Those people seem to be having fun and I'm not so it shouldn't be allowed"). Strangely enough there have been no major problems and it's still running. Long may it continue.

BTW it's also worth remembering that this is evening time at the Nationals. There are no crowds of unsuspecting members of the general public. Pretty much everyone present is a modeller and knows exactly what's going on (and enjoys it ).

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Mar 26, 2014, 06:25 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,532 Posts
Only takes one fatality. Then the fan covers ALL

Regards Ian.

'Spose a good defence eagle could cite "Putting oneself in harms way.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Last edited by Circlip; Mar 26, 2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:10 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
9,883 Posts
There have been a number of fatalities caused by model aircraft in the UK over the years. All those I can recall were RC related not free flight and surprise, surprise, we're still allowed to fly....even RC.

Steve
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:31 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,279 Posts
Personally, I'd love to be there. As slipstick says, everyone is a modeller rather than 'public', so everyone knows and enjoys it.

My concern is that it would just take one (maybe not even serious) injury and one lawyer of the ambulance-chasing scumbag ilk and we would all suffer as a result.

To me the stupidity isn't a group of knowledgable modellers having a damn good laugh - it's emblazoning it all over YouTube.
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 26, 2014, 09:58 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
9,883 Posts
Presumably whoever posted it on YouTube isn't much of a fan or it probably wouldn't be titled "Free Flight Mayhem". OTOH I suppose we do tend not to think of all the "elf and safety gone mad" crowd who tend to jump on anything that looks like fun. Or more accurately, anything they don't want to do that looks like fun.

Round my way that event is usually referred to (with a big grin) as "The Chuck and Duck". I can't see it lasting for ever, but then fortunately neither will I .

Steve
Old Mar 26, 2014, 09:58 AM
Joined Mar 2007
978 Posts
Just pop an umbrella over your shoulder, whilst spectating. Then, you can relax a little more and enjoy the flying.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:01 AM
Joined Oct 2012
188 Posts
Interesting responses - which is why I posted it. Like Youtube, the comments range from supportive to condemnation; consider me in the latter category

I'm not advocating the outright banning of such 'events' - though I wouldn't lose sleep if it were - just perhaps a little more control could be exercised. Still plenty of fun to be had.

There's always an element of 'will it or won't it' when flying free flight but I always question why modellers want to deliberately endanger their creations in this free-for-all. Probably why there are no super-detailed scale models there!

Funny thing is, I'd have no problem with this video if they'd all been rubber-powered.

Regards
Harry
Harry Rule is offline Find More Posts by Harry Rule
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:32 PM
Joined Nov 2012
16 Posts
I see lots of smiles on the video.
I see lots of people watching.
I don't see a lot of seriously powered planes.
I don't see anyone with a gun to their head being forced to be there nor do I see anyone shackled to the turf.
This is safer than being within half a mile of a rc pylon racer or a hovering copter twenty feet in front of you.
dan berry is offline Find More Posts by dan berry
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:37 PM
Joined Mar 2007
978 Posts
On a few occasions, I've seen really skilled flyers, who have set up their models such that they go round in large circles, not rising above ten feet or so.

When this happens, you get the most incredible Mexican Wave as hundreds of people spontaneously "duck" to stay below the wheels.

They absolutely love it.