HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2013, 02:46 PM
CPA 30, SPA 523
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2009
378 Posts
A little more progress.
The TT takes a bit more foam. I usually order foam that is sized to fit the Atlas, Dirty Birdy, Phoenix, and others but now I'll have to adjust that.
Timthetoolman is offline Find More Posts by Timthetoolman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2013, 04:03 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthetoolman View Post
A little more progress.
The TT takes a bit more foam. I usually order foam that is sized to fit the Atlas, Dirty Birdy, Phoenix, and others but now I'll have to adjust that.
Nice! How did you cut the foam?

Mike
Jet_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
Old Dec 22, 2013, 04:05 PM
CPA 30, SPA 523
Joined Nov 2009
378 Posts
With the CNC foam cutter. It's still sitting between the columns.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 04:53 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,025 Posts
Quote:
With the CNC foam cutter. It's still sitting between the columns.
From the smoothness of the surface I thought that might be the case. Nice!

Mike
Jet_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
Old Dec 23, 2013, 09:14 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
279 Posts
I recent acquired a TT from Ron that has nose damage. I believe he said it was a TT4 but this one has plug in wings. It even has adjusters on the secondary wing rods to micro tune incidence.

I am building one myself from scratch with a set of plans of what I thought was a TT4 except I'm building it as a one piece wing w/retracts.

The plans I have are for the plug in wing version but are not marked with any number. This plane has a NACA 0015, different airfoil than the TT1, longer fuselage and the wing is mounted higher on the fuselage. I showed them to Ron but he couldn't tell me what version they are. I obtained them from a former partner in Southern R/C Products.

The TT I got from Ron is light as a feather, the only ply in the fuselage is the firewall, everything else is balsa, even the fuselage doubler is 1/8 balsa. It has the planked top and he used the lightest balsa he could find, and the paint job is/was immaculate.

I've got the wing framed up, retracts installed and working and close to ready to sheet. The fuselage formers are cut out and just need lightening holes drilled. I hope to get a lot done this week.

BTW, the canopy an aftermarket company is selling listed as a Tiger Tail canopy isn't even close, I got a Great Planes 40 size P-51 canopy that much more closely resembles the original.

Rick
shootnstarz is offline Find More Posts by shootnstarz
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:14 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,707 Posts
Rick,

Do you know if Ron designed that plug-in version?

I'd love to see those plans. Any chance of some pictures or a scan?

When I saw the CAD TT4 plans Ron drew I though about the plug-in idea with e-power as an option.

Cheers, David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Last edited by doxilia; Dec 23, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 02:00 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
279 Posts
I did show him the plans I have but he didn't think he drew them. They came from one of his partners in the old business. I have them on CD around here somewhere, I'll post the pdf if I can locate the disk. I know he did design the wrecked one I got from him, it has plug ins.

He's currently building another one, looks a littler bigger than the others. His wife passed last month so I haven't bugged him since. I expect him to start coming back out to fly soon.

I'll post the plans when I chase them down.

Here's a mirror of the original plans:

Rick
shootnstarz is offline Find More Posts by shootnstarz
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:18 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,030 Posts
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clas...ger-tails.html
Mel Duval is offline Find More Posts by Mel Duval
Old Dec 24, 2013, 09:08 AM
North Aurora, IL
Joined Sep 2009
546 Posts
That's what I had thought, forgot about that thread, thanks Mel.
hook57 is offline Find More Posts by hook57
Old Dec 25, 2013, 07:56 PM
CPA 30, SPA 523
Joined Nov 2009
378 Posts
1/8" firewall and wing mount laminates have been glued to make them 1/4" and vacuumed for tonight.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 08:02 PM
CPA 30, SPA 523
Joined Nov 2009
378 Posts
New canopy on it's way
Last edited by Timthetoolman; Dec 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 06:35 PM
CPA 30, SPA 523
Joined Nov 2009
378 Posts
I met with Ellis today who has Ron's Tiger Tail that's in the photo and picked up an extra canopy he bought before Ron closed up Scratchbuilders Warehouse.
I'll make a mold for a fiberglass canopy and a plug to pull plastic canopies.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 09:01 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,707 Posts
Quote:
I'll make a mold for a fiberglass canopy and a plug to pull plastic canopies.
Nice!

You have your first customer Tim!

I wonder though whether it might be smarter to make a plug from a the formed upper fuse (the planked portion) and the canopy and then mold the entire lot for a glass top section - Bootlegger style.

I think Ron did this for a RE piped 60 version.

Beautiful picture of Ron with his TT BTW!

David
Old Jan 02, 2014, 10:07 PM
CPA 30, SPA 523
Joined Nov 2009
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
Nice!

You have your first customer Tim!

I wonder though whether it might be smarter to make a plug from a the formed upper fuse (the planked portion) and the canopy and then mold the entire lot for a glass top section - Bootlegger style.

I think Ron did this for a RE piped 60 version.

Beautiful picture of Ron with his TT BTW!

David
Get out of my head David. I already have some junk balsa set aside to lay up just the center section and mold it like you said but that's a ways down the pipe.

At this point I don't know what direction this will go in. We talked about molding Ellis' but one of us may build a completely new fuselage with this petrified balsa I have piling up and mold that one. My buddies like to build with balsa but the glass fuselage would make it so much faster. There's something relaxing about roughing out a fuselage even though it's not our favorite task.

It was suggested that the F-1 bulkhead went all the way to the bottom of the fuselage but after looking at Ellis' we confirmed the bottom portion was balsa as I suspected.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 11:43 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,707 Posts
Tim,

whatever you guys do will be great. I'll take a canopy or two and if you make glass decks, I'll take one of those too.

I enjoy building balsa fuses so the entire glass fuse is not something I would miss. It is a nice and simple plane to build. I started to draw up some plans myself but they're going to be a little different from Ron's. It will have a longer skinned deck with a shorter planked section. I'm still working out on how this could be facilitated into an e-model.

David