HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2013, 07:15 AM
Joined Mar 2007
978 Posts
Discussion
Where to source this steel.

SWMBO came home with some sun-screens for the car.

These screens comprise a bit of fabric has a wire stiffener sound around its perimeter. The whole lot is affixed to the interior' glazing via some rubber suckers.

I'm sure you've seen these things ... they often have some inane message, such as "Baby on Board".

Well, it turns out that the wire stiffener is desirable to we modellers 'cos its about 3.2 mm by 0.6 mm and of a springy quality. Perfect for flying wires for the medium-sized model. (Thinking my projected BiStormer Mark 2)

Problem is that you only get about a metre from each sunscreen. But, this stuff must be manufactured by the kilometre ... if only you know where to get a decent length.

Any ideas?
bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Last edited by bogbeagle; May 13, 2013 at 07:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2013, 10:44 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,542 Posts
Stainless steel, from used wiper blades is a good source for flying wire material.

Been using it for years..some times they paint it black, for anti-glare, but it's always there. It holds the rubber in position......encourages wiper replacement around my house, whenever a new model requires them.,lol.

Cut it to length with a grinding wheel.Heat the last 3/8" with a propane torch, then let it cool and drill as slowly as possible...Clamp it so it doesn't "Grab" as the drill goes through.

I've never tried soldering-maybe you can, I don't know.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2013, 05:03 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,457 Posts
Or just buy lots of sunscreens, strip the wire from them and stitch (tape) two together to make a wing bag. No more hanger-rash on wing panels and as many rigging wires as you want. They don'y work quite so well on polyhedral wings though.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old May 13, 2013, 06:55 PM
Henchmen wanted. Send Resume.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,051 Posts
If it's what I think you are asking for, I get it from 2 places.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-sp...sheets/=mqkpk4

http://shop.kalimbamagic.com/product.sc?productId=114
TomM is online now Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2013, 04:23 AM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
408 Posts
SWMBO is MY wife's name! What is she doing coming to YOUR home with sun screens! Boy when she wakes up am I gonna give her a piece of my mind !

. . . Oh never mind, is your real name Rumpole?
Raymond-leflyr is online now Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2013, 04:47 AM
Joined Mar 2007
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post

Well, I'd never heard of a kalimba, before today!

Anyway, the Mcmaster 1/8" x 0.025" looks like the stuff.

TBH, I prefer not to buy from the US, 'cos I always get stung by both Customs and the Post Office.

However, I now know the proper terminology to use in my searches for a local supplier of this stuff.

I'll check out wiper blades ... I've a feeling that they will be too short, though... will have to take some measurements. Stainless steel takes Silver Solder very well, but you can't touch it with soft solder.

Thankyou very much for your help.

Rumpole.
Last edited by bogbeagle; May 14, 2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old May 14, 2013, 06:39 AM
Joined Mar 2007
978 Posts
ps.

I just checked some spare wiper blades that I have kicking around. They are longer than I thought ... about 26" of steel strip. Unfortunately, the strip on my wiper blades is about 12 mm wide ... and it would be the Devil's own job to slice it down to an appropriate width. I expect that other blades might use more appropriate materials, though.