HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:03 PM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Discussion
Next heli after mcpx

I bought a mcpx and flight sim a few months ago. I've been in RC cars for a while and I'm a newb to the heli. This thing is a blast and also challenging. But I'm having a lot of fun with it. I can hover pretty good tail in and learning the other orientations, so I still have a ways to go. I wanted to know for planning and learning which heli should I move to once I get better?
I would like a bigger heli for the ease of seeing outside and mantenance. I don't plan on much 3d for now, just really like flying around. I have a DX6i trans. All of my cars are the higher end brands as I believe you get what you pay for. Looking for a nice heli.
What size would you recommend (300, 450, or 500) ?
What brand and model?
Also, one that parts are no too expensive.
Thanks for any input.
Resqnu is offline Find More Posts by Resqnu
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:34 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,679 Posts
Blade 450x would be a logical choice.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:47 PM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Thanks for your input. I am looking at that one. Would you mind giving a little input to why you recommend that one and how it compares to the mcpx and 300x? Just trying to learn about the differences.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:09 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,587 Posts
TREX 450 or any of its clones.

Enough power and mass to keep it stable even in wind. Big enough to be seen from far off. Replacement parts are still cheap. And since you already have experience with a CP micro, you'll be able to fly this in no time.

You still have to put it together but atleast you know exactly how it works when you're done. Downside is that you won't know if anything is missing until you actually put it together.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
Last edited by Hajile; Jan 26, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:38 PM
Joined Dec 2012
30 Posts
I'm sure you've heard this before but larger helicopters are more stable and easier to fly. They also cost more to crash.

When you're first starting out a 450 is good size for your first 'full' size CP helicopter. A 450 clone frame with decent electronics is an inexpensive way to get started. There's nothing wrong with a Blade 450 3D or the FBL version 450 X.

I think a 500 is on the expensive side when getting started.

I've seen the 300x a couple of times. The pilots really like them but for my eyes they're a little on the small side.
Ronm3313 is offline Find More Posts by Ronm3313
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:24 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,679 Posts
The 450X is easier to fly than the MPCx, can't say abou the 300X, but it should be little easier. Since you are already flybarless, I would stick to that. The BeastX system Horizon uses is quite good and well known so help is always easy to find.

Your other options are a kit, which means setting up the flybarless control system yourself. I'm too old to go looking for extra work, but that's me. I've owned several larger helis (550 size) and you really need to join a club to fly something this size. The potential for damage, injury and liability is simply too high, otherwise.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:45 PM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
heli

im in the same boat got the mcpx doun after a year and just stepped into a 450x i love it flys very well and comes with a beast is the best part.
k.gordon1120 is offline Find More Posts by k.gordon1120
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:51 AM
Still a N00B
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2012
95 Posts
I'm still with the mCPX, but it a question I've asked myself. I guess when the time comes, I'll check out the 450x, but I was thinking of the t-rex 450 also because I think in this area parts are more easily available...although you can get pretty much everything you need online, its just the waiting that sucks.

Enjoy what ever heli you get.
lebaez is offline Find More Posts by lebaez
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Thanks guys.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:35 AM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input.
I'm still looking for to move to a bigger heli with a 300x or 450. I was looking into making a purchase by March 1st. But I see that Ampdraw has a sale on the blade 450 3d $157, which I could upgrade sooner due to price. Wou.d the 3d be a good learning heli and then move up to a really nice one down the road?
My question is:
Would the Blade 450 3d be a good step up from a MCPX V2 or should I wait and get the flybarrless 450x? I am really on the fence between flybar vs flybarless. I've been reading a lot and just can't seem to find the right answer to push me either way. I am looking for a easy to fly heli that I will be sport flying. Not looking to get into 3d flying now. Would like to be able to do flips and a few no aggressively maneuvers. I have a MCPX and a 4 blade $50 heli so far.