HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:03 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,162 Posts
All done with the mini, think another one will be in my future. Build was pretty easy for this size plane. Much more easy than the 20" and less planes I mess with.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:14 PM
The Twisted Elf
USA, NJ, Trenton
Joined Nov 2010
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
Has any of you done the welder reinforcements on the ail joints etc? Also have you done the hinge tape in the manual? Just curious...

J
i didnt , i figured i would wait until they start to tare a little first
lugnutz is offline Find More Posts by lugnutz
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:15 PM
The Twisted Elf
USA, NJ, Trenton
Joined Nov 2010
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
All done with the mini, think another one will be in my future. Build was pretty easy for this size plane. Much more easy than the 20" and less planes I mess with.
nice looking plane
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:24 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,162 Posts
Just messed with the mini it'll carry a 26g battery no problems. Hovered at a little past half throttle.

I think it's mess with Patrick at the post office this week. First the mangled mini box, now the order of lighter batteries, props and other knick knacks didn't get here today. Time for a couple beers.

Ty lugz I think it's a keeper. Should have ordered two or three...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:31 PM
The Twisted Elf
USA, NJ, Trenton
Joined Nov 2010
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
Just messed with the mini it'll carry a 26g battery no problems. Hovered at a little past half throttle.

I think it's mess with Patrick at the post office this week. First the mangled mini box, now the order of lighter batteries, props and other knick knacks didn't get here today. Time for a couple beers.

Ty lugz I think it's a keeper. Should have ordered two or three...
isn't that the truth,the second one i have may not make to my friend,it may have to stay with me
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:21 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutz View Post
i didnt , i figured i would wait until they start to tare a little first
Thanks for the response. I just didn't want to add extra weight. The instructions say to add welders to the joints, and the other steps were optional such as the hinge tape, and adding a bead of welders and hinge tape near the ail.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:56 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,166 Posts
Mine is 72 grams AUW.

(That's with stock power combo, 7035 prop.....everything included, except without battery.)

What are you guys getting for AUW?

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:08 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,162 Posts
Mine is about that too pug. Now if the batts show up I'll be happy. Bet they'll get here when the DX8 gets here. Going to ring it out this weekend for sure even if it's in the wind.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:12 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,147 Posts
Mine is 74 g w/o batt.
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:58 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2010
34 Posts
any plans for a real flight version?
angelicgundam is offline Find More Posts by angelicgundam
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:56 AM
Central Massachusetts
Joined Aug 2006
1,261 Posts
From Bedroom to Gym

I got to my indoor gym last night. It's a full court basket ball gym with room for spectators around the sides. The larger 30" sized planes I have can fly there but its not relaxing as you are constantly running out of room and have to be extremely precise. This Crack Yak Mini is PERFECT in this smaller room.

My first impression when I got to fly at my indoor location, a single basketball court was, "This is CHEATING!!"

Seriously this is the best EPP plane I have ever flown. Wait did I say EPP? Just strike EPP and say its the best indoor plane under 30 inches I have ever flown. This thing slows down to a crawl and is incredibly predictable. I'm using 14gram 180mah batts on mine and I feel they are perfect for this model. I like floaty and usually push my cg toward the back edge of the range. This model handles rearward cg like it could care less. I was doing SLOW rollers and it was so easy!

Did they cook the EPP in a helium environment?

You feel like you are running a simulator at 1/2 speed. It just floats along so easy. LOVE IT!

I had a couple of oops moments when I was showing off inverted and dragging the tail on the floor and it canopy landed, Then a harder nose in showed that EPP is my friend. No damage. I'm not that great and still making mistakes so I appreciate the forgiveness of EPP. The LG work great on the gym floor and flex nicely for plopping down on carpet as well. I think the design using bar stock over rod is a great idea allowing the gear to flex on impacts that would normally snap carbon rod.

My AUW without battery is 73.8 grams using Welders and an Orange 6 channel RX without the case. I can't see the need to sweat over reducing more grams from the airframe. My two differing batteries showed the same flight characteristics regardless of the additional couple grams.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:12 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,546 Posts
Congratulations Tom! Your thoughts about this airframe are pretty much the same as ours.

What I like about it is that it has the pace and energy of a 3S 32" Crack Yak but with the stall and aerodynamic characteristics of a the Lite, so pushes and pulls feel more pure, and it exits stalled maneuvers more quickly. Of course, eating up so much less airspace helps as well.

Would you mind if I posted your impressions on our facebook page?
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:24 AM
Central Massachusetts
Joined Aug 2006
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
Congratulations Tom! Your thoughts about this airframe are pretty much the same as ours.
Would you mind if I posted your impressions on our facebook page?
Sure go ahead and use that. I just FB liked you as well.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:39 AM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Mine is 72 grams AUW.

(That's with stock power combo, 7035 prop.....everything included, except without battery.)

What are you guys getting for AUW?

I am at 76 grams without battery.
JohnRB is offline Find More Posts by JohnRB
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:44 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I got to my indoor gym last night. It's a full court basket ball gym with room for spectators around the sides. The larger 30" sized planes I have can fly there but its not relaxing as you are constantly running out of room and have to be extremely precise. This Crack Yak Mini is PERFECT in this smaller room.

My first impression when I got to fly at my indoor location, a single basketball court was, "This is CHEATING!!"

Seriously this is the best EPP plane I have ever flown. Wait did I say EPP? Just strike EPP and say its the best indoor plane under 30 inches I have ever flown. This thing slows down to a crawl and is incredibly predictable. I'm using 14gram 180mah batts on mine and I feel they are perfect for this model. I like floaty and usually push my cg toward the back edge of the range. This model handles rearward cg like it could care less. I was doing SLOW rollers and it was so easy!

Did they cook the EPP in a helium environment?

You feel like you are running a simulator at 1/2 speed. It just floats along so easy. LOVE IT!

I had a couple of oops moments when I was showing off inverted and dragging the tail on the floor and it canopy landed, Then a harder nose in showed that EPP is my friend. No damage. I'm not that great and still making mistakes so I appreciate the forgiveness of EPP. The LG work great on the gym floor and flex nicely for plopping down on carpet as well. I think the design using bar stock over rod is a great idea allowing the gear to flex on impacts that would normally snap carbon rod.

My AUW without battery is 73.8 grams using Welders and an Orange 6 channel RX without the case. I can't see the need to sweat over reducing more grams from the airframe. My two differing batteries showed the same flight characteristics regardless of the additional couple grams.

Awesome report!

It makes me very happy that people are loving this plane as much as we do!
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777