HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:09 PM
Whirly Bird Fanatic
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined May 2010
598 Posts
Discussion
Purchases for Christmas....Etc....

I usually always buy local or buy online locally. I have been to lots of events and hobby shops this year. Even though money is more tight for me, I know a lot of us are buying less also.

I've been to Hodges Hobbies for a lot of events the last year or three... SEFF and HHAEFI were the two largest. I've come to know Mac Hodges and he is a really super guy. His business is suffering just as the rest of us are. I'm not going to advocate abandonment of patronizing the other shops around but say that throw some business Mac's way here and there. For us, he ships and you get it in a day usually. I'll also say to support our other local buisiness too. As much as possible we should try to keep our money where we fly. California doesn't need our online money anyway, theyre falling in the ocean soon anyway......
TossinHoss is online now Find More Posts by TossinHoss
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:27 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TossinHoss View Post
I usually always buy local or buy online locally. I have been to lots of events and hobby shops this year. Even though money is more tight for me, I know a lot of us are buying less also.

I've been to Hodges Hobbies for a lot of events the last year or three... SEFF and HHAEFI were the two largest. I've come to know Mac Hodges and he is a really super guy. His business is suffering just as the rest of us are. I'm not going to advocate abandonment of patronizing the other shops around but say that throw some business Mac's way here and there. For us, he ships and you get it in a day usually. I'll also say to support our other local buisiness too. As much as possible we should try to keep our money where we fly. California doesn't need our online money anyway, theyre falling in the ocean soon anyway......
I like his place and all but if he wants to sell to more than to locals then he needs to get a website that more than contact info and location. I'm not into the "call up and see if they have something in stock and what's the price thing myself." It's fine if others like to buy that way but if you don't have it listed/displayed on your website then I assume you don't have it.

Atlanta hobby actually has this same issue where for some reason the search engine does not return things they actually do carry when searched for and I've more than once assumed they did not carry something when they actually did.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:28 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,246 Posts
does hodges have an online storefront?
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:33 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
does hodges have an online storefront?
http://www.hodgeshobbies.com/

Unfortunately no info on what's in the store really. I think he's got a great store and could do some decent online business but I guess he just prefers the word of mouth. It costs to do a good website so I'm guessing he feels it would not bring in enough business to make it worth it. Could be right for all I know.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:38 PM
DLGFPVBAJAOCD
Joined Feb 2011
3,582 Posts
I value the importance of a good LHS. I purposely spend more than what I should at places like Hobby Town. It's nice being able to go get some glue or a prop on a Sunday. For my bigger purchases like radios and good motors, planes etc, I go to see Cliff at Atlanta Hobby.
That said....It's a digital age, and if you don't buy into it, you miss out on a huge segment of potential sales. I love and participate in the events at Hodges and support his shop while there. But if he invests in website development it will bring more sales. Not doing so is like turning off your "open" sign to save electricity.
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:31 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,761 Posts
I give Cliff as much biz as I can.

I also send biz to Hodges and have found he offers some really specialized items that are not typically on the shelves in other places. His prices are often more competitive than most typical online storefronts; give em a chance if you ever cannot fill your needs at your other retailers.

While I have not ordered much from them, I mostly call in and pick up everything on-site during an event.

What I used to find discouraging (as Russ and Rich) was the lack of online store and pricing. What I have learned is that they fill the order with everything you need. For example, I can call them and tell them I have a G-62 Ralph Cunningham gasser that I need gas tank fittings for. Few persons know as much as Mac does about gassers and they will discuss whether they recommend a standard, a two clunk, or a three line fuel fuel system. Then they package everything you need to fully assemble it.

No more waiting on shipping only to realize you did not put all your required parts in the shopping cart.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Racing anyone?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:32 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich View Post
....Not doing so is like turning off your "open" sign to save electricity.
Brilliant!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:58 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,246 Posts
For a nationally recognized name like "Hodges Hobbies" i find it odd they do not have an online store front, i cant imagine out side of the large fly in's they host that there is a ton of walk in customers just due to the fact that they are sort of in the middle of no where.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:39 PM
Whirly Bird Fanatic
Joined May 2010
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
For a nationally recognized name like "Hodges Hobbies" i find it odd they do not have an online store front, i cant imagine out side of the large fly in's they host that there is a ton of walk in customers just due to the fact that they are sort of in the middle of no where.
I'm not sure but don't think he needed much of an online presence before. I think He always had a lot of call in business and was shipping out a lot of goods. The economy stinks, I think we all know this. SEFF and HHAEFI all had less attendance than 2011 as did other events. Less buying during events too.

Maybe he should do an online store. He did spend a lot to add the pond, add more electric camping spots and concrete under the rear area he uses for vendors. I'm just saying give him a call when your looking for something, beats Californy.... Besides, it would suck if when you get to events there in the future... He doesn't have what you need there due to stock not being ordered. That place is pretty well stocked.
TossinHoss is online now Find More Posts by TossinHoss
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:06 AM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,429 Posts
I agree Hoss, Mac and Bill are awesome to deal with! Always have great advice and decent prices as well.
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:59 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,761 Posts
...I heard through the grapevine Bill is no longer there.
I was shocked; but it is a sign of the times and all businesses are tightening up
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:08 PM
United States, GA, Dunwoody
Joined Feb 2011
608 Posts
Having set up our companies ecommerce stores, I can tell you in a few words why Mac may not have a full featured on the web store - time and expensive. I've got less that a thousand printer consumibles and 7 stores I manage and it is very time consuming to keep up to date. Prices change, new product comes and goes and each item requires a thumb nail and enlarged image. I'd bet Cliff can confirm.
BeechMusketeer is offline Find More Posts by BeechMusketeer
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:33 PM
Foam is good.
Tucker, GA
Joined Dec 2007
2,327 Posts
I buy a lot at Hobby Town and Atlanta Hobby. Partly for instant gratification, and partly for their knowledge of the products. Robert and Phillip are great resources to have at HT.
HomeDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HomeDaddy
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:42 AM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar View Post
Atlanta hobby actually has this same issue where for some reason the search engine does not return things they actually do carry when searched for and I've more than once assumed they did not carry something when they actually did.
Please let me know if you see this happen, I would love to see where it fails and fix it.
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:46 AM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeechMusketeer View Post
Having set up our companies ecommerce stores, I can tell you in a few words why Mac may not have a full featured on the web store - time and expensive. I've got less that a thousand printer consumibles and 7 stores I manage and it is very time consuming to keep up to date. Prices change, new product comes and goes and each item requires a thumb nail and enlarged image. I'd bet Cliff can confirm.
I agree big time, we have ver 60,000 SKUs and three warehouses and it is a big job.
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor