HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:34 AM
Certified ground locator.
United States, CA, Visalia
Joined Nov 2008
167 Posts
Discussion
First prototype of an RC "Smoke" Generator

I teamed up with YouTube's Taofledermaus and he built a prototype "smoke" generator that we attached to my corsair. I know they do sell some pyro ones but I really don't trust those things. They can get very hot and with all the dry grass out here they can easily start a grass fire. Anyway like I said this is the first prototype so don't be too harsh. Check it out.

Homemade "smoke" Generator on a Parkzone F4-U Corsair (7 min 37 sec)
Ompapamowmow is offline Find More Posts by Ompapamowmow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,642 Posts
Cool idea! We were discussing this same subject yesterday at the field! Hate to start California on fire. If I may, could I throw in a couple of ideas based on the brief glimpse we see of the 'device' at the start of the video?

It looks like the ejector is the tube sticking out the back of the bottle? I wonder if, in it's location, the air comes around the bottle and then back up the tube, preventing more material from coming out. It would be kind of like a plastic bag staying in the bed of a pickup truck at highway speeds. Perhaps a longer tube to get it out of the backflow zone, or a streamlining added to the back of the container? Or maybe put the ejector out the side and let bernoulli pull it out? (Though how would you keep feeding the powder to it?)

Did I see something like ram air ports in the front? I'd also do a little aerodynamics research and see if there are any tricks to make really effective ones of those, too.

Perhaps there's a way to get enough airflow going in, in a swirling pattern inside the container to keep picking up material, and sending it out the ejector.

Keep up the good work!
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Nov 2008
167 Posts
Thanks for the comments and you had some great ideas. I think the first thing we need to do is to figure out some sort of way to keep the powder agitated while in the bottle. We will definitely keep working on this think because just for the brief moments it did work it looked awesome!
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:51 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,437 Posts
RE: keeping the powder agitated in the bottle, how about a servo with the "stops" removed so it rotates continuously mounted to one end or the bottom, with a little arm that goes inside the powder and churns it up when the servo spins? You could set it up on a channel so you could have "smoke on" and "smoke off"..... maybe even increase or decrease smoke intensity?
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Nov 2008
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
RE: keeping the powder agitated in the bottle, how about a servo with the "stops" removed so it rotates continuously mounted to one end or the bottom, with a little arm that goes inside the powder and churns it up when the servo spins? You could set it up on a channel so you could have "smoke on" and "smoke off"..... maybe even increase or decrease smoke intensity?
That's a great idea. I'll give that a try.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:41 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2011
363 Posts
A "silent ring" vibrator unit from a cell phone might work to agitate the powder.
Markran is offline Find More Posts by Markran
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:09 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,350 Posts
Just an aside, how about a container of dry ice and a trickle of water to generate " fog" as in stage effects.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:26 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
9,864 Posts
o yea looks good so far
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: very fun FPV
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:48 AM
Not home......at the field
Greenvile, PA
Joined Apr 2009
78 Posts
How about an air intake at the bottom of the tank? Like a scoop made from a plastic spoon. You could always add a door and micro servo to open the air intake.

This is a real cool idea that is way over due.
hamburgrd is offline Find More Posts by hamburgrd
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:44 PM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
696 Posts
This is awesome! Im loving the idea, as I was searching for a way to make a smoke unit only a month ago. In response to xmech2k 2nd post, I think he may be thinking of a Venturi system?
Groovechampion is online now Find More Posts by Groovechampion