HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:10 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
837 Posts
Discussion
Bendix Racer from troybuiltmodels

This is a short review of the Bendix Racer from troybuiltmodels, with electric power.

On sale for $129 + shipping. Arrived with no damage.

This is a beautiful plane, after the style of pylon racers in the 1930s.
All up weight is about 5.5 - 6.5 lbs.
Watch the video at troybuilt models and you will see a light setup, that still flies well.

I decided to put more weight on the plane:

-- 2200 watt (1200 continuous watts) leadershobby "Power 46" (was $18)
-- 2 x 5,000 mAh 4S batteries, leadershobby (about $18 each -- test the polarity to make sure that it is correct, before plugging them into anything)
-- 190 A hobbyking opto speed controller (about $30 -- make sure that this has cooling air)
-- hobbyking voltage regulator (5A) with 1000 mAh 3S for RX and servos
-- 15 x 8" electric prop
-- Corona R8FA 6 channel RX ($28 at hobbyking) and Futaba 7C FASST.

I have flown the Hanger 9 DeNight Special and the hobbyking Nemesis. I like the handling of the Bendix Racer much more.

The plane flies "light". It has that characteristic of getting a good grip on the airstream, and it responds in a nice linear fashion to the throttle and control surfaces. It climbs easily, and will slow down amazingly, with only a hint of tail wagging at slow speed going cross wind. Elevator is solid at all speeds.

Tracking in take off is good, and the rudder steers well. No necessary right rudder is needed, as in some tail draggers. The plane is a shoulder wing mount, but takes off with the stability of a high wing mount. The wheels are only about 2.6 inch, but blow some air under the wing and you can taxi on a grass field.
I did angle the gear forward a bit, with a quarter inch shim under it.

The 10,000 mAh battery pack steadies the plane, so its flight penetrates better, and there is not the light flipping around on a tail over that the flight video shows.
Placement right in front of the wing tube gives me about a 30% CG, which works well. The little RX battery can pretty much go anywhere under the hatch.

The battery pack will allow 12 minute flight times -- maybe longer.

Landing is slow. You will have to bleed off speed in order to pull the wing up, and half stall it into gentle touchdown. Control at slow speed is great, and I have yet to have the Bendix slide off a wingtip. (It will stall in a straight line, dip its nose, and come out of it, rather than tip stall into a roll).

With the 4S voltage, I am not using a fast setup, But the plane will power loop. And the glorious booger picks up speed in an aileron sideslip wonderfully. Slide into one from slow flight at 300 feet, blaze by in a high speed pass, then pop back up to 100 feet. The handling is glorious, and the plane looks good in the air. Although the plane doesn't have different coloring on the top and bottom, I have never had a problem with orientation.

This Bendix Racer is a sweet flier. The power system will come in under $150, and allow 12 minute flights. After it is trimmed, I would recommend this plane as a "low wing trainer" (it is a shoulder wing). It can fly fast, but carves the air with great regularity, and can slow down and still be under control.

I call the dude "Mister Bendix" out of respect for the great flying characteristics.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:11 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
837 Posts
troybuiltmodels is out of this model, but milehighrc still has some.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141