HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:56 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicherotors View Post
Thought I would share some progress Iíve made with my floats.
Just a few ideas I thought worth sharing.

Regards John
Sir, you are an artist. Beautiful work.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:22 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,079 Posts
Beautiful work, I love detailed work like this on micros.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 22, 2013, 06:37 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,134 Posts
Speaking of floats....

Finally had some decent flying wx yesterday! Temp was up into the low 20s, with a 2-7 MPH breeze. Perfect wx for some ROS fun in the 3-4" of fresh fluff that we got the other day. Takeoffs, landings, touch & gos, some low & slow, and flying scale circuits at scale-ish speeds.

UMX Carbon Cub in the snow - takeoffs, landings, touch & gos, and some low & slow (10 min 4 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2013, 06:36 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicherotors View Post
Thought I would share some progress Iíve made with my floats.

Iíve used inkject printing on waterslide decal paper with success on other projects so thought I would have a go with this plane too. Just some panel lines, access hatches, door sills etc.

I've recently learnt to use a simple drawing package to make some DXF files so that a laser cutter can repeatedly cut out shapes a bit more accurately than me. So I designed an extension to the tail feathers that I have seen on some (but not all) Carbon Cubs with floats, two rudders, fairing covers for the undercarriage legs, a couple of paddles that Iíve seen on a few models and some mooring points.

I designed the rudders so that when they are pushed into the back of the floats they lift the tail so that on a flat surface the plane is level and resting on the Ďstepí. Iíve only flown this indoors off a smooth basketball court and found take offs to be not more that about 20 feet if you punch open the throttle Ė I also put clear cellotape on the step so there is hardly any friction.

All the parts were cut out of .25 mm styrene. I spray painted the inside of the fairings matt black so that the undercarriage wires would not show and the top side silver. The paddles were painted wood colour but donít really show up too well Ė at least I know they are there.

All this added what seems like no weight. In reality I weighted the model before I applied the styrene parts and after. The difference was a flickering 2g on my scale.

They made no difference to the flight characteristics that I could tell, but did provide a few smiles for my flying buddies young and old. I really liked to see the mooring rope trailing behind!

Just a few ideas I thought worth sharing.

Regards John
Would you consider making and selling a set of those for me? That is beautiful work!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Dec 24, 2013, 01:09 AM
Joined Nov 2005
16 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys.

If anyone else wants to do the same then here are the links to the two files. I’m a rookie round here but don’t think I can attach these file types - so I have added these links so you can download them.

If you want to print the decals you will need to use special decal paper – google ‘waterslide decal paper’ and you should find someone near you who sells the right paper for your printer type – I’ve found someone who sells single sheets so the outlay is minimal.

http://www.fraser-ker.com/neasham/RC...Cub/Decals.ppt

http://www.fraser-ker.com/neasham/RC...ub/Styrene.dxf

The laser cutter I use has a 720 x 420 bed and it cost me as much to have one set done as it did for eight. I’ve only used one and have seven waiting for new homes.

Given it’s the festive season I’m quite happy to give away these on a first come first served basis. Brian, you have email.

Just PM me your postal address and I’ll pay the postage – on one condition – you come back here and post a picture or two.

Regards John
nicherotors is offline Find More Posts by nicherotors
Last edited by nicherotors; Dec 24, 2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:56 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,446 Posts
Flew my CC out in the freezing fog. On post flight inspection I noticed ice crystals on the LE of the prop. About 2mm long. I've got to start bringing a camera with me.
Mike
Old Dec 31, 2013, 02:26 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,134 Posts
Welcome to the world of RC icing!

Many RC'ers don't believe it can even happen - until it happens to them. I've experienced icing conditions with RC aircraft on a few occasions.

The first time, I was flying my 40-size glow-powered aileron trainer on a winter day with supercooled fog in the air. The Monocote-covered wings didn't ice-up very much, but the prop sure did. I figured it out when I started losing power even though I wasn't losing RPM.

Happened once with the Beast 3D while flying on a foggy day with temps in the high 20s. A couple minutes into the flight & she started to get doggy really fast. At first, I didn't want to believe it was happening at this scale, but the plane was exhibiting all of the signs of a critical icing condition. When she needed half-power just to stay airborne I finally got the message. The motor sounded really rough - as if the prop was way out of balance. I brought her around ASAP for a straight-in approach. Stall speed was so high that I had to put her down at just below cruise speed. The leading edges of the prop, wings & tail surfaces were covered with rime ice.

Another time, I was flying my 130X from the deck in similar conditions when it started to act up. The headspeed was climbing as performance was dropping. I noticed that I was giving it more & more stick just to maintain altitude. Then the tail started to shudder. This time, I knew what was happening. I hurried back to the deck & landed before it could no longer generate enough lift to remain airborne. When I picked it up, the main & tail rotors were coated with ice, and there was a buildup of rime ice on the LE of both rotors.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2013, 04:31 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,446 Posts
Interesting. I did notice that my battery performance was way down on all the planes that day. I've flown in 10 degree weather and hadn't noticed that much difference. That ice really bogs things down.
Mike
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:23 AM
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
Hi everyone! I just bought a UMX Carbon Cub SS as a step up from a Champ (bad idea I know, but I also fly helicopters), and I'm encountering a bit of a trim issue with the ailerons. With my hands off the sticks it will immediately, and continuously, roll to the left. The control surfaces were mechanically centered right out of the box, and I haven't applied any trim on the dx6i. I'm hesitant to start bending the links on the ailerons, because I feel like it should be flying straight if the surfaces are straight, so is there anything I should check? I found the post regarding adjusting the struts, and I'll be trying that this afternoon.
neilt6 is offline Find More Posts by neilt6
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:30 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
806 Posts
You are correct.... it should fly straight if the surfaces are straight. And you are also correct to be hesitant to trim the ailerons to correct what may not be an aileron problem.

Carefully sight along the wings and see if one or both are warped.

And don't overlook the rudder and / or both halves of the horizontal stabilizer.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Apr 13, 2014, 05:58 PM
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
You are correct.... it should fly straight if the surfaces are straight. And you are also correct to be hesitant to trim the ailerons to correct what may not be an aileron problem.

Carefully sight along the wings and see if one or both are warped.

And don't overlook the rudder and / or both halves of the horizontal stabilizer.

Paul
Just checked the struts and they're the right length. Also, the wing seems pretty straight to me. The tail seems ok, but the horizontal fins are mounted at a slight angle. Not sure if that matters or not. It's a little breezy right now, but once it calms down I'm going to try tweaking the rudder and see where that gets me.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 07:16 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilt6 View Post
Hi everyone! I just bought a UMX Carbon Cub SS as a step up from a Champ (bad idea I know, but I also fly helicopters), and I'm encountering a bit of a trim issue with the ailerons. With my hands off the sticks it will immediately, and continuously, roll to the left. The control surfaces were mechanically centered right out of the box, and I haven't applied any trim on the dx6i. I'm hesitant to start bending the links on the ailerons, because I feel like it should be flying straight if the surfaces are straight, so is there anything I should check? I found the post regarding adjusting the struts, and I'll be trying that this afternoon.
Make certain that the plane is absolutely immobile while the AS3X initializes. I occasionally have to land a re-initialize mine when it acts up like you describe.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Apr 13, 2014, 07:33 PM
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
Make certain that the plane is absolutely immobile while the AS3X initializes. I occasionally have to land a re-initialize mine when it acts up like you describe.
I've been lying the plane upside down on the table and holding the battery while it initializes, so it's about as immobile as it can get. I've gotten it mostly under control by adding some right rudder mechanically and 3 clicks of right aileron. It still wants to bank a little bit, but at least it's more controllable.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 08:27 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,134 Posts
Neilt6,

Welcome to the CC club! BTW, the main CC thread is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585631

Regarding your trim issue, also see my CC setup & handling guide for detailed info on flight-trimming, etc.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:00 AM
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Neilt6,

Welcome to the CC club! BTW, the main CC thread is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585631

Regarding your trim issue, also see my CC setup & handling guide for detailed info on flight-trimming, etc.

Joel
Thanks! I've been following your guide to try and get it sorted out, and it's flying pretty good now.