HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:37 PM
USA, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Nov 2009
153 Posts
Thats good news. I have a 9116. I can give the transmitter with it to my son for his V911. The 9116 should fly with my Flysky 9X.
MWShelton is offline Find More Posts by MWShelton
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Sep 2007
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enea 54 View Post
I can not understand (sorry a problem of mine is I do not understand well English) you can show a picture of what I should check.thanks
"Shudders" can be caused by too much side to side play of the main rotors.
As indicated by the arrows

This can be caused by too large a gap in the area indicated where the main rotors are mounted onto the post on part "1".

Some users have added a washer to the post on part "1" to reduce the side to side play.
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:48 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,470 Posts
IMHO the 9116 is even more of a beginner heli than the v911. It's slow and has poor handling. At least the one I flew did. My v911 is way faster, more agile and flies better in high winds.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:52 PM
Bvc
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Yes, I use the 9116 tx for my 911. You just have to change the AIL and RUD. For the 9116 it's set for REV. For the 911 you have to change it to NOR.

Be careful the first few times you fly the 9116. Very different flight charactoristics then the 911. It's heavy, underpowered, and handles like a bus. Has decent FFF but you really need to anticipate your next move as it's sluggish to respond. Not a bad bird though. I'm going out to fly it now.
does the rudder trim on the 9116 TX work with your v911?
Bvc is offline Find More Posts by Bvc
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:12 PM
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
1,842 Posts
I have had my Y911 for less than a week, a lot of windy days, probably less than 10 flites. At first it flew fine. Now the tail motor does not work. I tried a little lube on the shaft, inspected all the wires, and resoldered the wires to the board. If I give it a little throttle while hoding it and manually start the tail rotor turning, it will work and even spin faster with right rudder. but if I give it left throttle it stops and will not start again until I push it. wil a 9958 motor work on the 911? I measured and they seem to be the same size, but the boom is smaller and shorter.
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:12 PM
Bvc
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
How many pinion teeth does it have?
How does this equate to lift?
Flight time?
I don't time flights but it seems about the same to me. Definitely more lift. Pinion is 8, according to others. I thought it was less. Shows what I know......hard to count on the heli.

Here's a few comments.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post
I've found the 9958 motor pinion (has 1 additional pinion tooth I believe) meshes much better with the main gear. It got rid of some rough spots in mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
The V911 with the 9958 motor and larger pinion gear is quiet.
Quote:
One has a 9958 main motor which is promising as the bigger pinion gear wants to make the blades spin faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildweasel View Post
I fitted a new motor to mine yesterday, I ended up going with one from a 9958 as it was cheaper and the pinion meshes as-is. That solved all of my problems; flights are now in the 6 to 7 min range and there's plenty of power.
Quote:
The 9958 motor fit in mine but it was snug. I push up on the can of the motor not the shaft, I've popped the caps off of other motors in the past. But the pinion on the 9958 motor is shorter so doesn't line up with main gear quite as well as the stock motor.

The good part for me was my main gear had rough spots on the teeth pretty much out of the box and the 9958 pinion meshes much better than the V911 motor pinion. But I'd agree the V911 motor fit and quality appear better. I don't know how to remove pinions and swap just that part.

I think the Nine Eagles Bravo SX motors are considered to be some of the best. Not sure if that is just for tail motor or also main and tail motor. Also not sure of # of teeth on its main motor pinion. The 9958 has different number of teeth (don't remember the specifics) so that does change the gearing slightly. I don't notice it, but do notice that the mesh is better and it is quieter.
Quote:
The v911 has a main gear of: 84
It's pinion is: 7

The 9958 has a main gear of: 74
It's pinion is: 8

The mSR has a main gear of 64
It's pinion is: 8

Daryoon
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post21443797
---

Maybe Monday for tachometer reading.
Never heard of a KV rating for these brushed motors, RPM and Voltage likely vary too much between motors anyway.
Note: as jpconard said, it's a snug fit. I did manage to get it in, out, then back in again though.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:16 PM
Bvc
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
wil a 9958 motor work on the 911? I measured and they seem to be the same size, but the boom is smaller and shorter.
Quote:
The 9958 motor fit in mine but it was snug. I push up on the can of the motor not the shaft, I've popped the caps off of other motors in the past. But the pinion on the 9958 motor is shorter so doesn't line up with main gear quite as well as the stock motor.

The good part for me was my main gear had rough spots on the teeth pretty much out of the box and the 9958 pinion meshes much better than the V911 motor pinion. But I'd agree the V911 motor fit and quality appear better. I don't know how to remove pinions and swap just that part.

I think the Nine Eagles Bravo SX motors are considered to be some of the best. Not sure if that is just for tail motor or also main and tail motor. Also not sure of # of teeth on its main motor pinion. The 9958 has different number of teeth (don't remember the specifics) so that does change the gearing slightly. I don't notice it, but do notice that the mesh is better and it is quieter.
Note: as jpconard said, it's a snug fit. I did manage to get it in, out, then back in again though.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:20 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvc View Post
does the rudder trim on the 9116 TX work with your v911?
No. I never tried before but I just checked and it does not work. Although I've never needed it with my v911s.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Last edited by Budasac; Oct 07, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,842 Posts
I am sorry I did not make myself clear, I meant to say will the 9958 tail motor work on the V911, as I have a couple of spare 9958 tail motors and my Y911 tail motor did not last 10 flights
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
I am sorry I did not make myself clear, I meant to say will the 9958 tail motor work on the V911, as I have a couple of spare 9958 tail motors and my Y911 tail motor did not last 10 flights
In short : Yes :-)
They are completely interchangeable
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,842 Posts
Thanks to all of you for the replies
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:26 PM
Bvc
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
No. I never tried before but I just checked and it does not work. Although I've never needed it with my v911s.
thanks. At least I know mine is not broke so I don't need to exchange it. I only need the trim the last quarter of the battery, but its also a good indication to change the battery, so.......
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvc View Post
thanks. At least I know mine is not broke so I don't need to exchange it. I only need the trim the last quarter of the battery, but its also a good indication to change the battery, so.......
What about flying with a cheap digital itchen timer (or a kitchentimer app for your smartphone)? I'm using it and set it to 5:00 minutes (Thats the time where my batteries start getting weak) Most of my batteries still have about 3.7V after stopping.
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:52 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,479 Posts
Just got a chance to try the y911 for the first time. I have stayed up to date on the v911 and y911. But nobody ever said there were so many changes between the two birds. Many of which are positive.

It even comes with a battery cage, so to speak. So no need for the v911 Battery Tray Adapter Mod. Just need to solder on the appropriate connector and you're good to go.

The v911 had a very soft, flexi main frame. The SH6032 has the stiffest. The y911 is almost as stiff like the SH6032. Very nice. No need for those carbon braces some of you guys have done to stiffen up your frame.

Also, the v911's canopy post are very stout.

The landing skids of the v911, a hold back from the Solo Pro 260, was an item that I broke all the time. The y911's landing skids looks more robust. More like the design of the newer Solo pro 270.

The tail motor cage has a wire route. Though on mine, they didn't use that channel. The tail rotor itself has a cap so the problem of the rotor getting pushed to deeply and possibly rubbing against the motor, causing lost of tail authority is mitigated.

The flybar teether very freely. The linkages appear better molded. On my v911, I had to sand a little off the balls in order to get truly free movement. And the linkages were never as precised as the Solo Pro ones. Looks like the y911 may equal the Solo Pro's linkage quality.

I'm going to have do a write up comparing these two close cousins. But I think I may need to get a newer v911 to accurately compare the two. My v911 was among the first version.

I do hate the fact that you have to put your TX into binding mode every time. (Not too big a deal once you get used to it or if you're using the stock TX, which always powers on in binding mode)

The servo to swashplate link is much, much harder to take off and put on compared to other helis. But at least that's only necessary during the initial mechanical setup.

The canopy also is about 1g heavier than the v911. So that sucks. And the y911's canopy post is very slightly off where the v911's canopy isn't a 100% fit. It can however, be forced on, with the upper canopy post bending to reach the holes. A gram savings there is significant.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Oct 07, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:54 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystman View Post
What about flying with a cheap digital itchen timer (or a kitchentimer app for your smartphone)? I'm using it and set it to 5:00 minutes (Thats the time where my batteries start getting weak) Most of my batteries still have about 3.7V after stopping.
That's a feature I love about the Turnigy with er9x. You can set the timer to activate whenever the throttle is not zero. So it keeps a very accurate time. In fact, you can have the timer speed up or slow down according to where the throttle stick is to approximate better the power draw.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon