HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2003, 06:14 PM
WA
Joined Jul 2003
21 Posts
Tantrum covering question

This is my first attempt at covering using solite and I have a specific question regarding the Tantrum. I should note that the plane has been a real joy to build so far.

Covering the Elevator - do you cover first and then try to install the control horn or glue in the horn and try to cover around it?

Thanks for any insight.

Chuck
BatmanOSX is offline Find More Posts by BatmanOSX
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2003, 06:51 PM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
have built the Dandy and Dandy Sport...and have read through the Tantrum manual online...waiting for mine to arrive (Doug is in NY at the NEAT fair...waaaH)

Cover the elevator first, then cut a small slit in the control horn opening, drip in a little slow CA or epoxy then install the control horn...you'll be good to go in the morning....

Envious,
Kevin
roguewolf is offline Find More Posts by roguewolf
Old Sep 12, 2003, 06:54 PM
WA
Joined Jul 2003
21 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Was just a little nervous about covering and then cutting a slit in it. Was afraid it might tear out of control.
BatmanOSX is offline Find More Posts by BatmanOSX
Old Sep 12, 2003, 07:01 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Kevin basically has the right idea, but you want to put the C/A on the horn. not the hole. Actually, I position the horn and then secure it with a drop of thin C/A.

Since it's a pull-pul system, it has holes on both sides, and you don't want to get them goobered up with glue.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Sep 12, 2003, 07:13 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,175 Posts
Fok, you are right on the money.

Be sure you fish all of the solite out of the hole. I personally use epoxy. It is a matter of preference, but I can glob a small amount on each side of the hole top and bottom and make a little ridge as a little extra security. I did have my rudder to pull out. That wasn't so bad, but if it had been the elevator, I would have had trouble. If you do it correctly and get a good bond, the CA is fine. I think I left a little of the solite in the hole.

LcJ
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Own your own - What it means