430 Posts
Man i wish someone could find that mod for this thing =0
PnoT is offline Find More Posts by PnoT
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:07 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2004
116 Posts
yes sorry the monitor works pretty good i only had to change the av cables :-)
Cuba59 is offline Find More Posts by Cuba59
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:52 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
878 Posts
So, per Cuba59, it works fine w/o amplifier using a 5.8Ghz RX. What brand?

I can tell you you'll have trouble with a Lawmate 1.3Ghz unless you get a powered amplifier. I have taken the bird out fairly far, but still have only gone under 50% video for brief moments during hard turns and the monitor has yet to blue screen on me.

I looked all over the Internet for the Haier blue screen removal mod, but couldn't find it. Someone that knows a lick of electronics can probably open the thing up and tell us what to do.

Here's a video..
EPP FPV First Flight with all FPV gear (7 min 39 sec)
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Last edited by Kerbob; Apr 18, 2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:00 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2004
116 Posts
i use a foxtech 5.8 Rx but getting the blue screen as well with the haier.
Old May 01, 2011, 06:17 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Mine has been working well unmodified, but would like to know how that mod was done.
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:15 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
878 Posts
The problem is back. For a while, I would consistently get video to my Haier through the amplifier.. now its trial and error. Worse, when it works, it doesn't stay working.

This isn't a blue screen problem.. it just says there is no video input whatsoever. The Fatshark goggles and the Camcorder get a solid signal in my setup pictured above. I really want to figure out how to get the Haier to work. I agree it is a sync issue.. but how to fix it?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:42 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2004
116 Posts
i switched recently to 1.3ghz and now with the RV receiver it works flawless, with a patch antenna its even better. the only thinf is with the AV cable, i have to pull it a little out of the TV AV female connector.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:56 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
878 Posts
Interesting.. I'll have to try a different video cable.
I've been hauling my 24" PC monitor to the field because it has RGB inputs. Works, great, but its not easily portable and a pain to reconnect to my PC each time.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:27 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
661 Posts
Any updates on the blue screen mod? I REEEEAAALLLY need it!

Was taking my FPV tricopter out trying to test the limits of my 100w 1.3ghz TX/RX and hit the wall very quickly (~200 ft high). Got a little static and then boom..black screen. Well that 5 secs it took for the video to pop back on seemed like an eternity!

Hoping someone has seen or heard something as it's been a while.

Chris
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:54 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
A video amplifier will help alleviate the problem. It will still go to blue screen at the very extremes of range where the signal is very weak, however.

I was having similar problems to you, Kerbob, and I fixed them by replacing the cable. Not all A/V cables are the same even if they look like it, though. I had to try a couple different ones before I found a match.
Vitamin_J is offline Find More Posts by Vitamin_J
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:50 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin_J View Post
A video amplifier will help alleviate the problem. It will still go to blue screen at the very extremes of range where the signal is very weak, however.

I was having similar problems to you, Kerbob, and I fixed them by replacing the cable. Not all A/V cables are the same even if they look like it, though. I had to try a couple different ones before I found a match.
My black screen came on while connected behind the eagleeyes system.
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:26 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
878 Posts
I also suspect the video cable now. A friend of mine had a portable dvr and plugged it into my Haier video video in cable and it didn't work either. He said he hasn't had a problem with his DVR yet with anything else.
I am using the cable that came with it but may run to wally world or ebay to buy a new one.

imagebuff,
Do you ever have the black screen while you're well within range? That is the problem I am having.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:15 PM
Hovering my 85" Katana
Austin, Texas
Joined Mar 2006
901 Posts
Solution to "Blue Screen Of Death"

Easy solution to "Blue Screen Of Death". I mount my receiver on the back of my monitor near the top. Clip the wires from the receiver at about 3" and clip the wires for the monitor at about 3 inches. Solder them together. Problem Solved.

The reason the amplifiers are helping you guys is because the power output of these receivers are very low. Amplifying it helps but results in other problems. By eliminating all plugs between receiver and monitor and getting the cable as short as possible, it reduces signal loss. No diversity or amps needed.

I am getting nice distance with the small antenna's that came with my 200 watt, 5.8 ghz down link from Hobby King. Given better antennas with more gain, the sky should be the limit, as they say.

Robert
Robert Youens is offline Find More Posts by Robert Youens
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:39 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
2,954 Posts
I'm thinking VRX signal strength is important as well. I am currently testing a 3.5" LCD, and it appears there's a huge boost by useing a quality RX/cables (Lawmate 2.4) VS a cheapy RX/cables (R2Hobbies 2.4). Same Lawmate 2.4 500mw VTX used for both. The LCD can handle loads more static now before going bluescreen. Absolutely night and day.
The cable quality is probably better, but I believe the VRX is also more powerful, which may mean a cleaner more powerful signal going into the LCD. The cables of both are about the same length.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Dec 2011
100 Posts
...moved...
fpvwannabe is offline Find More Posts by fpvwannabe
Last edited by fpvwannabe; Feb 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: moved to better location