HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:17 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,287 Posts
Very early on I had given a lot of thought to making my Raven look very similar to that. I even went so far as to test stain vs dye for the coloring. But as my build came along I realized that my woodworking finesse was not up to the standards necessary for that type of finish on the fuselage. So for now the fuselage will be covered and this set of wings will have that translucent white on the open wing areas and something opaque on the sheeted areas. I am going to take what I learned during the poly wing construction and hopefully the gull wing will be up to the standards necessary for a natural wood finish.

Which leads me back to the color quandary. Based on a translucent white open wing area I don't think the fuselage should also be primarily white, too much white. So the fuselage needs some color but what color will work well with a translucent white wing and possibly a natural wood finish wing? Green, black and red seem to be the obvious choices. Thinking outside the standard box, a copperish color might work. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Jul 19, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:04 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,287 Posts
Update

I have made a little more progress on the Raven. I have finished the rudder, mounted the plywood shoulder pieces and bent one of the wing joiners. The wire bender really makes short order of bending 1/4 inch piano wire. I practiced a few times with 1/4 inch aluminum rod and then moved to the strong stuff. I also came to the conclusion that I can make really nice stainless steel tow hooks with it too.

So now I'm getting ready to do some final sanding and then it's on to mounting servos and routing the wing wiring.

Wayne
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:03 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,567 Posts
Hi Wayne,
That rudder sure looks good. Your coming down the home stretch now.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:41 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,287 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Just a quick update on the Raven build. I took a little break from the Raven to complete some repairs on another plane I have. My ALES plane, a 2 meter Pulsar, went into a bean field last year and has been needing a few repairs. I have those repairs all completed now so I have time to once again get back to the Raven build. I have mounted the servos and battery and connected the elevator linkages. Next it is on to the pull pull rudder linkage and last but not least the spoiler setup. I'm slowly getting there.

I also have just received delivery of my new OneWinch. I plan on using this to launch the Raven and all my other string launch planes. I had an opportunity to try one a few months ago and I really liked it. No pictures for the moment but I will keep updating the thread with my progress.

Wayne
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:09 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,373 Posts
Go Wayne Go!
Stay on target Stay on Target--
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Address
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:58 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,287 Posts
Raven update

Final fuselage sanding is complete, servos are in, rudder hinges are in and the rudder horn has been epoxied in place. Covering has been purchased and is sitting on the shop workbench. I still need to glue the tow hook reinforcement plate in place but that is easy. Covering on the fuselage will commence this week starting with the rudder.

I am still waiting on one half of the multiplex connectors for the wing wiring connections, back-ordered, and I still need to pick up a tow hook. I am going to rework the wing tips a little more as I want them to look a little different. Nothing major, just a little bit more tapered out at the tip. Then it will be on to running the spoiler servo wires into the wing and some wing covering. The only thing remaining on the poly wing is making spoiler covers. No predictions on a maiden flight day but it is getting close now. I have the battery and Rx already to go. It is finally coming together and I am already looking forward to the gull wing build.

Wayne
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:08 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,373 Posts
Glad to hear that life got itself in order! I can't wait for another belly laughin' session!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Address
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:12 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,567 Posts
Go Wayne Go !!!!

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:22 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,287 Posts
I am going to get an outdoor picture of it fully assembled before I start covering it. Tonight was rainy so I couldn't do it, tomorrow looks promising so hopefully right after work I can get some pictures. Then its on to the covering.

Wayne
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:06 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,287 Posts
Well the covering is going on and each day sees a little progress. Covering the Raven fuselage has proven to be a little tricky. All those nice curved lines makes for some difficult covering situations. I am getting through it but if I were to do it again I would give some more thought to painting it. Maybe next time. My multiplex connectors finally came in after being back ordered so now I can also work on wiring up the spoiler servos. I installed the plywood tow hook reinforcement plate but I am going to hold off on drilling the tow hook hole until after final assembly. No need to have a lot of extra holes in the fuselage.

I am going to finish covering the fuselage then it is onto the wings. Those should be a lot easier to cover.

Wayne
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:27 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,567 Posts
Go man Go..........

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:52 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Well the covering is going on and each day sees a little progress. Covering the Raven fuselage has proven to be a little tricky. All those nice curved lines makes for some difficult covering situations. I am getting through it but if I were to do it again I would give some more thought to painting it. Maybe next time. My multiplex connectors finally came in after being back ordered so now I can also work on wiring up the spoiler servos. I installed the plywood tow hook reinforcement plate but I am going to hold off on drilling the tow hook hole until after final assembly. No need to have a lot of extra holes in the fuselage.

I am going to finish covering the fuselage then it is onto the wings. Those should be a lot easier to cover.

Wayne
Hi Wayne,

Yup, that beautiful curvy fuse looks like some fun covering challenges. What kind of film are you using? I think from now on I'm going with painted fuses as well. It took me 3 evenings just to get the nose on my O3 recovered without any wrinkles. Lots of pulling and stretching and cussing .

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:19 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,287 Posts
Hi Don,

Thanks for staying tuned through my long build. I decided to use Ultracote lite on the fuselage. It is more stretchy than Monokote and it seems to handle the compound curves well but it is a lot of work. We'll see how well it holds up over time to the grass landings around here. How have things been progressing with your Oly III repairs?

Wayne
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:25 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Hi Don,

Thanks for staying tuned through my long build. I decided to use Ultracote lite on the fuselage. It is more stretchy than Monokote and it seems to handle the compound curves well but it is a lot of work. We'll see how well it holds up over time to the grass landings around here. How have things been progressing with your Oly III repairs?

Wayne
I understand the long build, no harm no foul in my eyes, the Raven is looking great and should be an awsome plane with all your detail work.

MonoKote is all I've ever used and it's a bear on the compounds. I do like the super glossy finish though of a filmed fuse but it just takes too much time. Maybe I'll try Ultracote on a fuse before I proclaim painting as the way to go.

Slow go on the Oly, the wings were completely destroyed so I'm laying up the inner panels at this time....again . The fuse and feathers are good to go though. All the gear seems to be in good order and function like new.....well....they are new with total air time of about 15 minutes .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:18 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,065 Posts
Don,

Are you going with flaps or spoilers on yout O3?
SHVentus is offline Find More Posts by SHVentus