HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2010, 03:10 AM
"just one more pass"
Bakersfield, Ca.
Joined Sep 2005
824 Posts
Discussion
Unworthy speeds

That's right. It's time I came out for all to know the truth. (at least in part)

I have been flying DS for about as long as John Buxton now- give or take a few weeks. We started with the same Pat Bowman JW to learn on, and both of us built one each on John's kitchen table. Since we live just a few miles apart, go to the same church, and share interest in several things- one of them being RC flying, it's natural that we'd somehow find ourselves on the same hill at the same time from time to time; often carpooling to the site.

Certainly, he has been much of my inspiration, mentor, idea well, and cattle prod over the past few years and I very much appreciate that and him for it. See, we both have an addiction and understand each other better because of that commonality. It's just that our addictions have diverged a bit drastically apart of late. He has stayed with DS flying as his passion and I have shifted my addiction over to modifying electrons in a different genre altogether. The World of Warcraft is a crafty and clutching task-mistress that must be satisfied daily. This little known fact leads to misunderstanding, missed or late appointments, and apathy for all things real (like RC DS) for the person engaged to her.

This past Friday, May 21, 2010, I was awarded yet another personal best speed on the hill that I don't feel I earned the right to. I actually feel somewhat unworthy to have recieved the chance and achievement. Oh sure, I did fly my own D-80 to 341 mph, and would have gone faster if I'd tossed it out at that same time. But the Kinetic was already in the air and the rest is history. What I'm saying is: there were at least 2 other pilots on the hill at the time I was handed the sticks that would probably have posted higher speeds had they had the same or comparable model in the air during that ballistic gust that launched John to 445 and gifted me with being the 3rd man in history to pilot an RC model to over 400 mph. Yes, they did up their PB's posted earlier in the day significantly on the 80 inch class. We all understand that it's all about opportunity: Pilot skill, plane capability, hill, and cooperative wind.

Am I saying that I cheated the others out of their opportunity? No. But they are daily earning their right to speeds by putting in much more energy and investment than I into the small but totally awesome sport of flying DS for speed(and acro).

I am very much grateful to John for not giving up on me and for continuing to encrorage me onto the hill. Who could ask for a better friend than that? I am also grateful for, and humbled by the honest efforts and cooperative spirit that is so prevalent on the hill at most times in most places by the guys that share this passion.

Love flying,

Marlan
marfish is offline Find More Posts by marfish
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2010, 07:07 AM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
I've seen you fly, Marlan. You're not unworthy.
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Old May 24, 2010, 08:18 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,171 Posts
Marlin,,you are totally worthy of the speeds you have obtained.we all know it takes many things to all come together at the same time to obtain such speeds.
You have been on the hill as much as anyone,,probably more..also with the right equipment,skills ,plane,and now conditions.
You deserve it Marlin,,congrats on your new pb bro.

Nick
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old May 24, 2010, 10:14 AM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,015 Posts
Hey Buddy...

I was there you flew that fast.

its true.

congrats...

Chris
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old May 24, 2010, 10:38 AM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
I've seen you fly, Marlan. You're not unworthy.
Now, Franks 311, that's something we should really talk about...

Marlan you flew that plane respectively and carefully to over 400mph. I know that Bruce and I were putting everything we had to get our D40’s to get to 380mph. We both missed the ground by on a few feet more than once. I’ll edit your video next. It’s interesting to watch your standing there, hauling ass and you ask, “Is anyone getting this”? Billy yells 388, we both love it I just as much as you. Then I tell you, “Dude your going over 400 any second now” and you say “I just want to keep the plane together”.

I also note on the speed lists when planes are borrowed, built and/or designed by the pilot just for the reason your discussing here. It’s more information and good to know.

Fast Planes: The Kinetic is going to change a lot about speeds on the hill as more people fly it. It truly is so fast!!! Anyone who’s flown this plane over 300 known’s what I’m talking about. The D80 changed the 80” speeds and we all wonder what the D120 is going to do. As of right now I expect a whole bunch of changes on the lists because of these new planes were flying.

I also might add I’m probably just as happy to get my 380mph with an 80” inch plane so don’t worry about it and enjoy the moment of a day we’ll talk about for a long time.
Old May 24, 2010, 02:31 PM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,001 Posts
Many pilots have the skills to go ultra fast. There's so much more to it though. Dedication, and skill, the right plane, and presence. You have to be there to win.

In 05 I was ranked something like 20th fastest in the USA racing 1/8th scale Nitro Pro Truggies. There were LOTS of racers faster than me, but I showed up to the points races, traveled all over the west USA, and did well, and I earned that rating.

In the same way, you Marlin have earned your speeds.

Hats off to ya!
Mike the Snake is offline Find More Posts by Mike the Snake
Old May 24, 2010, 02:40 PM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
Congratulations Marlan, good job. Right after you got the 402 speed we were standing at the back of Johns truck and you commented on the fact it was May 21st. You told me it was a year ago to the day day that I think you said you flew 300 !! So that's a year of paying dues to get going fast! You deserve the speed Bill recorded for you and hopefully it was fun and not a chore. Jimmi
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi
Old May 24, 2010, 04:26 PM
Go Faster!!
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2004
542 Posts
Marlan,
You absolutely 100% deserve it! Just like everyone else has said, there are so many critical variables that have to fall into place for a speed like this to happen. Your piloting skills are second to none. Please enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that you flew a model to over 400 MPH. Good JOB! Can't wait to see you on the hill...
Jason
Jason Lilly is offline Find More Posts by Jason Lilly
Old May 24, 2010, 04:36 PM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboz View Post
Now, Franks 311, that's something we should really talk about...
that goes without saying ...
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Old May 24, 2010, 05:58 PM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,166 Posts
Well done Marlin.
To snag the spot you had to have the model/conditions/skill etc and that just doent happen without a whole lot of dedication, time and love of what your doing.
Swoopdown is offline Find More Posts by Swoopdown
Old May 24, 2010, 07:08 PM
fly foam fast
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,445 Posts
Sorry man, what's done is done, you can't give it back.
If you feel that bad about it you can always give away your planes to the less fortunate.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a 40oz Bee II for DS
Old May 24, 2010, 08:27 PM
"just one more pass"
Bakersfield, Ca.
Joined Sep 2005
824 Posts
Awe, you guys are way too kind, but I appreciate it. Woot!! I never expected to see 400mph. EVER. Yes I have been on the hill a lot in the past and have posted some respectfully fast speeds- sometimes even on my own planes.. Which is partly what I was referring to in my opener. The other part is about the other designer/builder/fliers besides Spencer that have toiled many sleepless nights to make their totally awesome planes break the 400mph milestone. It's still all about timing and opportunity, but nobody deserves it more than them. I'm thinking specifically of Joe Manor and Jason Lilly who have picked up where other pioneers like Brian M. left off; both giving so very much knowledge, innovation and inspiration to the DS community. They have been there, shoulder-to shoulder right along with Spencer, John, and all other hopefuls, cheering each pilot on for many of the WR days and at least Joe has gotten a few of those records (Jason always within striking distance)
Also, It's like 'Mother Nature' is relenting a bit with each new milestone; giving in to the onslaught of determined pilots, inch-by mortal inch, exacting her toll in carnage that, it seems, will not be defrayed. Not many years ago, 300 was still totally elusive to all but the very few. Now it happens on a fairly regular basis and on planes that couldn't seem to accomplish it before. 400 mph is the new 300, and John has set the bar agonizingly high in one shot.(good for you )
And Chris, you and Bruce were there to show us all how to fly an 80 inch between cacti at 380 mph. It was you 2 that I was referring to that would have gone much faster than I. I am so blessed to have the encouragement of good friends to meet with and be involved in such a bonding type sport where everyone is genuinely happy for another's success, even when it means his own time to try harder has been handed to him earlier than he expected. The 'happy hill' factor, as new ground is broken (in some form other than trenching with a wingtip or nose ) is a bit of a phenomenon where even personal differences get set aside for the better good of the moment on the hill, in the wind, and, be it sunny or cloudy (please let it be cloud) that we view each other as 'friend' and dream of Dynamic Soaring.

just one more lap

Marlan

ps. the date that flyboijimi is referring to sticks out in my mind. Why, I don't know. It just seemed significant, but since I don't keep a record of what happened and when, I may never know what event, if any took place on that date. Any reminders would be welcome.
marfish is offline Find More Posts by marfish
Last edited by marfish; May 24, 2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old May 25, 2010, 04:54 AM
Justabirdindasky
Bakersfield, CA.
Joined Mar 2005
94 Posts
I'm proud of you Marlan.

Ditto to what everyone else has said.

Proud to be your friend, Tim
TABLESAWTIM is offline Find More Posts by TABLESAWTIM
Old May 25, 2010, 10:24 AM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,015 Posts
The day you and Jimmy are talking about is probably 5/3/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by marfish View Post

It was you 2 that I was referring to that would have gone much faster than I.
Well if my grandmother had balls she would be my grandfather... LOL who cares what a day of speed we had, what fun!!! I'll try and get to your video tonight. I think you'll like it.

chris
Old May 25, 2010, 04:58 PM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
I got some stills from your big day Ill try to figure out how to post them You sure had a big grin on your face jimmi
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi