SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2015, 05:59 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,100 Posts
Discussion
A valuable tool you robably have in the junk drawer.

Hi, guys.

I haven't been very active lately. Old age, winter, and that pesky real life have been distracting me from important things like building and flying and talking about building and flying. But...?

I posted about the many uses for the common playing card on another forum and some seemed surprised by some of my uses so i figured I would share them here.

First you have the obvious uses. Mixing epoxy and spreading epoxy or other products is very simple. Cards are cheap and disposable. They also work great for ducting air to a component you want to cool or for routing wires. They are light and as flexible or rigid as one wants.

The less obvious use I have found, thanks to a hint in MAN several decades ago, is to use an entire deck or two or more as a contour gauge on leading edges and cowlings and other curved bits. One simply shapes a small piece of wood or whatever to the desired shape, use the small piece to mold the cards to shape, then run some thin CA on the other end (And/or drill a couple holes for screws or pegs.) to keep them in place. One can either use the stack as a guide or even add some sand paper for a custom sanding block.

Regardless of the exact use it is well worth the trip to the dollar store to pick up a few decks to have on hand. Do you guys have any other applications for these useful bits of cardboard? Do you have any ideas for similar cheap or free tools that can be constructed from common household items? Feel free to share.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2015, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,885 Posts
I think you ought to edit your title... It is highly suggestive
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp