HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2015, 06:41 AM
Find More Posts by thosmosis
"Champ'ion Newb"
United States, WA, Vashon
Joined Sep 2013
2,316 Posts
Hey Heli, that was one crazy flight. Amazing that you were able to think of the kill switch on the DX6i. I have the same Tx and have never used it. And don't know if I would have even thought of it in all of the panic.

Glad you got your archer down. And even landed with your left hand using the right stick! Hard...
thosmosis is online now Find More Posts by thosmosis
Old Jun 29, 2015, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGhost View Post
BUT, should be programmed on your TX for aircraft you fly
That is precisely what I was thinking, because I had never set it up, so was wondering if it even would work. Luckily the default action for a loaded plane model is for the kill switch to work. With my heli's, you do actually setup and program one of the toggle switches to remove engine power. I had thought about if you could program a similar function toggle switch for a plane, but never bothered to investigate it.

Anyway, I am glad it turned out well in the end and made for a good story to share with friends. Would've still shared if something bad happened, but then it would've been sharing a bad story instead, which is a lot less fun to do...

Luckily the Archer is a well behaved and smooth flying airplane, which allows you to think while flying it around, even at WOT
HeliFlyer14 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:21 PM
Find More Posts by kitetricks
Flying Object Crash Tester
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Jun 2013
657 Posts
i wonder if lead-free solder was used? That type of solder grows "whiskers", little crystals that can short leads that are close together.
kitetricks is offline Find More Posts by kitetricks
Old Jun 30, 2015, 05:22 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
2,316 Posts
Noon Time Drifter Ultralite Flight, with flip-flop take off and almost wing over... Then a roll out landing on the baseball diamond that ended with a slight fence strike...

Drifter Riverview 121 (6 min 24 sec)

Didn't make it out with the Archer. By the time I landed, wind was back up to 8mph gusts.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 05:28 PM
Joined Jun 2013
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis View Post
Noon Time Drifter Ultralite Flight, with flip-flop take off and almost wing over... Then a roll out landing on the baseball diamond that ended with a slight fence strike...

http://youtu.be/IJACHFYU1_k

Didn't make it out with the Archer. By the time I landed, wind was back up to 8mph gusts.
Her pilot's lessons seem to be paying off. Last time I saw her at the controls there was a departure from the seat on landing
Old Jun 30, 2015, 09:45 PM
Joined May 2014
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Noon Time Drifter Ultralite Flight, with flip-flop take off and almost wing over... Then a roll out landing on the baseball diamond that ended with a slight fence strike... .
Nice! So, are you really flying as high as that looks? Things look pretty small down on the ground, like 100' high or something. I don't ever fly that high, as I like to see what I am doing.

Quote:
Really 8 mph stopped you from flying Sir, you need to up your game. I would never be in the air if that was my limit.... Just saying

Invest $19 in one of these Lemon Rx. I will be your Sherpa guide and help you get it installed and setup. Really. phone calls, emails, pics, what ever makes senses. Heck, I almost feel like buying you one for a present.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by HGhost
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
2,447 Posts
I have yet to understand how anyone can see their plane so high up.........looks cool from a cam....but from the ground , looks like a speck ??
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM
Joined May 2014
1,457 Posts
Hey HGhost, Have you programmed a separate throttle kill into your transmitter? I have a DX6i, and have not found a way to assign throttle kill to a toggle switch, only the momentary push button.
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
2,316 Posts
Hey Guys. Yes, it was pretty high. The highest I have ever been. And it was a speck and hard to determine attitude... If the sun were in my eyes just a bit more, there could have been issues... I did loose sight of it twice during that flight, when I looked ahead of the plane for my turning plan, looking back it was gone! ... I quickly caught sight again. But those moments send a chill down my spine! It only takes a short time of it flying away from you without knowing it... At that height, orientation could have been horrible!

But I tried to make it up to everyone for posting off topic with the Drifter... And posting an Archer flight. And yes, the pilot has recovered. And she talked me into installing a control stick into the Drifter. So, I did. You may notice it...

Anyway, Here's the Archer from 6AM this morning!

Archer Riverview Convertible 3 (3 min 22 sec)
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
2,316 Posts
HGhost I have yet to understand how anyone can see their plane so high up.........looks cool from a cam....but from the ground , looks like a speck ??

Yes, it is very tiny. Only reason was for entertainment. With the camera view. But even flying at eye level. With the batting cage backstops, I don't have a lot of room before I have to start pulling up again... And the Drifter is not quite as nimble for low flying as the Archer...
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
Joined Jun 2013
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGhost View Post
I have yet to understand how anyone can see their plane so high up.........looks cool from a cam....but from the ground , looks like a speck ??
Mid-day sun isn't so bad, and it isn't something you can do comfortably without building up to it. That height gives you time to make some mild control inputs and wait to recognize the results if you lose orientation.

My scary moments happen at dusk or dawn and I don't have that altitude. The sky backlights the airplane and colors disappear, you lose track of upright/inverted...