New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2015, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by wdac
Sweden, Dalarna County, Falun
Joined Jul 2015
298 Posts
Help!
Repair glassfiber hull?

Hi! Need hull to do a hull repair on my Genesis.

I did hit a fish today with my rudder and prop, i made sushi, but i dont like sushi so its a waste of fish sadly... tho due to my careless thinking of drilling holes on the wrong place i had weakened my transom and due to the sushi incident it cracked my hull.

best way to repair this?

the Genesis is so DAMN small in the stern so form the inside it will be tricky.. do i need to cut it open and "start over" ?? and i want to reinforce the transom in the same operation.

all help, trix and fix are welcome so i do it right from the beginning. i assume i need need to repaint this sucker after this also.

EDIT: this is the run there i made Sushi at the lake... and the transom broke...

Genesis. (8 min 32 sec)
wdac is online now Find More Posts by wdac
Last edited by wdac; Aug 28, 2015 at 02:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
2,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdac View Post
Hi! Need hull to do a hull repair on my Genesis.

I did hit a fish today with my rudder and prop, i made sushi, but i dont like sushi so its a waste of fish sadly... tho due to my careless thinking of drilling holes on the wrong place i had weakened my transom and due to the sushi incident it cracked my hull.

best way to repair this?

the Genesis is so DAMN small in the stern so form the inside it will be tricky.. do i need to cut it open and "start over" ?? and i want to reinforce the transom in the same operation.

all help, trix and fix are welcome so i do it right from the beginning. i assume i need need to repaint this sucker after this also.
Btw this probably could have been avoided is you used a nylon break away screw on your rudder.

As for repair since the transom is so small get some glass mat or carbon mat and no less than 30 minute epoxy. Chop the mat into pieces mix resin 2 part first then mix in the chopped glass and pour it in the transom then take a brush and squeegee it all over. You need to get some mat in there or cloth otherwise it will just crack again.

Tape the outside the hull before you start.

Get creative it will take patience and removing what you can thats in the way inside the hull especially the hard ware on the outside aswell so it can fill the old screw holes.
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Last edited by f.a.r.m.e.r; Aug 28, 2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by pompebled
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,549 Posts
Hi wdac,

That's a lousy picture and doesn't show what the damage exactly is, please make some more from different angles and make sure it's in focus.

Reason I ask, is that I've repaired similar damage to a Chinese cat some time ago and I may still have the pictures, showing how I went about it.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Aug 28, 2015, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by wdac
Joined Jul 2015
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.a.r.m.e.r View Post
Btw this probably could have been avoided is you used a nylon break away screw on your rudder.
sadly, i have thatnylon break away screw, but it dident go off, it just streched it out..
Old Aug 28, 2015, 01:44 PM
Find More Posts by wdac
Joined Jul 2015
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled View Post
Hi wdac,

That's a lousy picture and doesn't show what the damage exactly is, please make some more from different angles and make sure it's in focus.

Reason I ask, is that I've repaired similar damage to a Chinese cat some time ago and I may still have the pictures, showing how I went about it.

Regards, Jan.
tryed my best on the pic, the crack is there hull and deck meets..
Last edited by wdac; Aug 28, 2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 04:36 PM
Find More Posts by pompebled
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,549 Posts
Hi wdac,

Has the rudder broken out of the transom?
Is there damage to the laminate where the rudder is bolted on?

I need sharp pictures, preferably made with a camera (not a phone) where the lense is clean and a macro setting is used, in order to determen what's the best way to repair this.

The busted crack between bottom and top can only be repaired from the outside, due to the lack of access from the inside.

This is how I go about fixing this sort of damage:

- take off all hardware around the damaged area.

- remove broken gelcoat/ laminate if present.

- wear protective gear and sand the damaged crack down to the glasscloth underneath.
I use a small disk sander, and a sanding disk in the Dremel.

The part sanded down to the glass will be about an inch wide, so I'll have enough surface to make the joint solid again.

Once I'm happy with the sanded part, I degrease the spot with MEK or Acetone (not nailpolish remover), or break cleaner.

Once the degreaser has evaporated, I prepare the glasscloth in manageable pieces.

- mix the 24h epoxy resin.

- I start with one layer of 160 gr/mē and add a second one if required to bring the laminate back up to thickness, once the first layer starts to cure (wet in wet).

- let it cure and sand off the excess glasscloth as soon as it's cured.
Don't wait too long before sanding, as epoxy cures rock hard and is a bear to sand once fully cured.
You have been warned.

- if you're happy with the strength of the laminate, add a layer of 50 gr/mē glasscloth and epoxy, so the surface will be more smooth.

- I use as little filler as possible, I rather brush on another coat of epoxy resin to 'drown' the weave of the glasscloth.

Sand flat, fill, sand, fill, until you're happy with the result.

I added a few pictures of two of my boats that have been T-boned during a race, to give you an idea how deep the toplayer should be sanded down and what the repairs look like after sanding an light filling.

Mind you, if the transom has damage where the rudder has been broken out, that would have to be adressed first.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Aug 28, 2015, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by wdac
Joined Jul 2015
298 Posts
the rudder mont did not brake out of the transom, the seam just broke between bottom and top part of the hull you it sounds like the guide you gave me will be the proper way to repair this. and due to this operation task, i will repaint the boat

tho i suck at it... so it will be only one colour :P orange

thanks for the help now its 00:15 AM and i need to get to bed, sounds like i have a horny wife to pleas..... where is the world getting to? :P
Old Aug 28, 2015, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
2,776 Posts
Quote:
the rudder mont did not brake out of the transom, the seam just broke between bottom and top part of the hull you it sounds like the guide you gave me will be the proper way to repair this. and due to this operation task, i will repaint the boat

tho i suck at it... so it will be only one colour :P orange

thanks for the help now its 00:15 AM and i need to get to bed, sounds like i have a horny wife to pleas..... where is the world getting to? :P
You can do it or her lol
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM
Find More Posts by wdac
Joined Jul 2015
298 Posts
Haha, i could solve the problem from the inside the a narrow bit with a hard paint brush,

Now is the question, sand it all down for repaint or wait untill winter i havet like its best 2 to 4 weeks left before the water is dangerously cold, cuz if i flipp it i havet to swim, my big boat are at the coast 300km away. No lake boating here with the big boat
Last edited by wdac; Yesterday at 08:28 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM
Find More Posts by txt killer
Joined Apr 2008
1,021 Posts
Use Zpoxy finishing resin and some fiberglass.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM
Find More Posts by wdac
Joined Jul 2015
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txt killer View Post
Use Zpoxy finishing resin and some fiberglass.
Marine epoxy and fiberglass solved it, question is, shall i now sand down the rest of of the boat to get rid of the stock paint, but if i do that i got less run time with it untill winter is here

So sand down and repaint now, or later this winter?
Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM
Find More Posts by The_Angry_Saxon
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2014
133 Posts
Quote:
Marine epoxy and fiberglass solved it, question is, shall i now sand down the rest of of the boat to get rid of the stock paint, but if i do that i got less run time with it untill winter is here

So sand down and repaint now, or later this winter?
Do it later, in the winter when the weather is crap and you can't go out. Make the most of any decent weather you have at the moment.
The_Angry_Saxon is offline Find More Posts by The_Angry_Saxon