Old Jul 29, 2015, 02:22 AM
Find More Posts by DaZa_AU
Fly it like you stole it!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2013
2,722 Posts
Discussion
Melbourne Multirotor Racing Club (MMRC)

We've had confirmed the next event to be held at the GoKarts on Tuesday August 25th. We're going to go all out on this one and run some proper races along with some free practise time for all.

So the time has come to look at formally get organised and form an official racing club.

The proposal is to come together and form the "Melbourne Multirotor Racing Club" (MMRC)

The name of course is up for discussion as is the entire process

The reasons for doing so are numerous including:
  • As a single entity we can official book the venue or any other.
  • A a club we can be insured through AMAS or MAAA via QAROP (Quadcopter Aerial Racing Organising & Promotion).
  • As a club not one person is singly liable (ie ChiggenWingz) if something goes wrong and insurance needs to be claimed.
  • As a club we can attract sponsors and grow the sport.
  • As a club we can demonstrate our sport in a safe and responsible manner to the various regulatory bodies.

The idea is to form a club, use a basic organisational structure based on a couple of voting committee's for various functions like general admin, race events, technical rules etc.

There will be a need for a Secretary & Treasurer, these can be the same person but will need to be part of the general committee at least and ideally we're looking for a volunteer who's field of employment is an accountant etc who would be suited to the task.

However we'd like to steer away from club positions like president etc and keep it simple. We're open to people's thoughts on this and of course a general consensus on the format needs to be agreed on first.

This whole process is open for discussion, we'd like people's ideas and thoughts on this and if they'd be willing to join the club and support it or indeed even serve in some official capacity of volunteer for events.

Idea is to have a face to face discussion on the matter in a couple of weeks time at one of our normal meet nights, give people time to ensure they can come along if they wish to have some input.

UPDATE!!!!

We are having a meeting to discuss the club formation and organisational structure and officially vote to form the club!

WHEN: Tuesday August 11th - 8pm
WHERE: TBD probably Knox carpark our usual meeting spot.

PLEASE TRY TO ATTEND AND HAVE YOUR INPUT!

If you are planning to volunteer for a club postion you need to be at this meeting as we will probably vote on a basic committee on the night to get the club started.

You can check on our weekly meets page here for info on our latest events and meetups... we'll post info there as well on a time/place for a meeting.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2423703

We've also created a Facebook group which we'll also keep up to date with info: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MMRCAU/

CLUB WEBSITE!!!!

We now have a website and domain name... the domain name is in line with our Sydney sister club.

I am adding lots of info and proposed structure to the club, please check here for the latest info on what's going on.

http://www.vicfpv.com

I'd like to start off the discussion by proposing the following organisational format for a start:

Club Format
  • General Committee - 5 people to include the secretary/treasurer to work on and decide general club day to day running based on the wishes of the general membership.
  • Race Committee - 5 people to decide on logistics and running of the race meets and manage any volunteers or other logistics needed to run the meetings.
  • Technical Committee - 7 people to decide on the rules and regulations pertaining to racing. To decide on classes, technical specs of the aircraft allowed to race and any other technical specs to be needed to race.

People will be able to serve on multiple committee's and the numbers assigned to each are up for discussion as well. If more people want to get involved and serve then that's good!

We'd be looking at a yearly membership fee (to be decided) this is likely to cover the cost of yearly insurance per pilot just like any other flying club and a transponder and any overheads. Of course we want to keep this as low as possible and this has to be decided on as well.

I know there may be some resistance to this, some want to keep racing as an underground sport but with the continued media coverage of the hobby in general we've reached a tipping point where we need to get organised and become a legitimate sport or risk being regulated right out of what we love doing the most... flying.

I'm hoping people will get behind this and help us get this to the next level, there is a lot going on behind the scenes that's just waiting for us to get organised and the sooner we do it the better.

Please keep the discussion polite and friendly and constructive and let's get this thing going

EDIT: Some important links to proposed structure for the club, note you need to be a registered member on the website to view some of these:

Basic Organisation Structure - http://www.vicfpv.com/structure/

Membership Info: http://www.vicfpv.com/membership/

Club Safety Policy: http://www.vicfpv.com/safety/

Club Safety Rules: http://www.vicfpv.com/safety-rules/

Club Insurance Info: http://www.vicfpv.com/insurance/

FAQ's: http://www.vicfpv.com/faq/
DaZa_AU is online now Find More Posts by DaZa_AU
Last edited by DaZa_AU; Aug 02, 2015 at 01:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2015, 02:38 AM
Find More Posts by rotor noob
Australia, VIC, Edithvale
Joined Jul 2015
96 Posts
well as a first suggestion due to the quad variations i noticed on the night

a 250 class with specific requirments specs etc

and an unlimited class similar to the suggestions made by qarop
rotor noob is offline Find More Posts by rotor noob
Old Jul 29, 2015, 02:41 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotor noob View Post
well as a first suggestion due to the quad variations i noticed on the night

a 250 class with specific requirments specs etc

and an unlimited class similar to the suggestions made by qarop
Classes and racing formats will be decided separately.

This is purely a discussion about actually forming the club and its organisational structure.

I take it your in?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 02:52 AM
Find More Posts by Sir Shmoopy
Of Awesometon
Australia, VIC, Pakenham
Joined Jul 2009
120 Posts
Id be keen on helping out. But does it have to be a Tuesday night haha.
Sir Shmoopy is offline Find More Posts by Sir Shmoopy
Old Jul 29, 2015, 03:10 AM
Find More Posts by cmengler
Australia, VIC, Derrimut
Joined Jul 2014
12 Posts
I like the idea would there be plans to hold meet ups in West like done regularly on Tuesday nights over in the East? or is there not much following over this side (yet)?
cmengler is offline Find More Posts by cmengler
Old Jul 29, 2015, 03:20 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,722 Posts
Unfortunately at this point dedicated venues are hard to come by. If/when we find other venues (indoors) where we can hold race meetings and practise nights then we're happy to organise more around Melbourne.

The key is they have to be indoors and have sufficient resources and suitability to actually hold a meeting with room for everyone and keep it safe and legal.

If you know a venue or location that might be suitable then let us know
Old Jul 29, 2015, 03:25 AM
Find More Posts by rotor noob
Australia, VIC, Edithvale
Joined Jul 2015
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaZa_AU View Post
Classes and racing formats will be decided separately.

This is purely a discussion about actually forming the club and its organisational structure.

I take it your in?
daza you guys had me at brad mill i wouldn't have spent 1500 othewise
rotor noob is offline Find More Posts by rotor noob
Old Jul 29, 2015, 04:24 AM
Find More Posts by ChiggenWingz
Pants may be optional
Australia, VIC, Mulgrave
Joined May 2013
571 Posts
I'm going to chase up the gokart center in Sunbury at some point this week to see if they would be cool with holding a Multirotor event.

What we have over in the east is a bunch of regular pilots that have been getting together for over a year now in various carparks. From that its helped us grow and spread the word a lot more. What we need is a location out west thats undercover and out of the weather where regular meets could be held. Just need someone proactive to make it happen on a regular basis, as its a bit of a hike for myself to get out there each week.

For us out east it just started with Daz and I going to Meatballs initially and more people came along, and we went to other events, and it grew from there; just need people to do that out west
ChiggenWingz is offline Find More Posts by ChiggenWingz
Old Jul 29, 2015, 04:30 AM
Find More Posts by ChiggenWingz
Pants may be optional
Australia, VIC, Mulgrave
Joined May 2013
571 Posts
I would imagine also once the ground work has been established, and we have our initial committee members; in the future members can vote people in a new committee.

As with clubs I've known int he past, financial figures are normally disclosed, so members can check to see if their money is being used appropriately.
ChiggenWingz is offline Find More Posts by ChiggenWingz
Old Jul 29, 2015, 04:30 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiggenWingz View Post
I'm going to chase up the gokart center in Sunbury at some point this week to see if they would be cool with holding a Multirotor event.

What we have over in the east is a bunch of regular pilots that have been getting together for over a year now in various carparks. From that its helped us grow and spread the word a lot more. What we need is a location out west thats undercover and out of the weather where regular meets could be held. Just need someone proactive to make it happen on a regular basis, as its a bit of a hike for myself to get out there each week.

For us out east it just started with Daz and I going to Meatballs initially and more people came along, and we went to other events, and it grew from there; just need people to do that out west
Would be great to find another venue more central as well. People if you know of somewhere please let us know!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 04:33 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiggenWingz View Post
I would imagine also once the ground work has been established, and we have our initial committee members; in the future members can vote people in a new committee.

As with clubs I've known int he past, financial figures are normally disclosed, so members can check to see if their money is being used appropriately.
The initial committee positions will all be open to a general nomination and vote by members so if people wish to volunteer then please nominate yourself or have someone do it for you! We need people to help out, there isn't much work involved really and we need your support!

The financials will always be open to members, full disclosure there will be no cloak and dagger stuff here
Old Jul 29, 2015, 04:49 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,722 Posts
There's also a Facebook group page now created for MMRC and will also be kept up to date with info.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MMRCAU/
Old Jul 29, 2015, 05:05 AM
Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,219 Posts
Nice...
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
Old Jul 29, 2015, 05:51 AM
Find More Posts by Bilox