Old Jul 12, 2015, 06:59 PM
Find More Posts by adambowker98
United States, NC, Clinton
Joined May 2014
136 Posts
Discussion
Champ Motor Won't "Start"

Hello all,

Got my Champ a couple days ago and I'm really loving it so far. I had a few rough landings and such during my first few flights that required me opening up the fuse and screwing some stuff back together, but no big deal...

Tonight I went out to fly and it was fine for a few minutes but then it stopped working properly - the motor won't "start." It will spin a couple time but then nothing. See attached video:

Champ Won't Start (0 min 21 sec)

Any ideas what could be happening? Is my motor already dead, after max 20 minutes in the air?

Thanks in advance!
Adam
adambowker98 is offline Find More Posts by adambowker98
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2015, 09:04 AM
Joined May 2014
136 Posts
Any suggestions at all?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
16,999 Posts
It could be the crashes caused the small "brushes" (these look more like springs) inside the motor to get damaged. Causing some "blind spots" during motor rotation, so it will not get power in those positions.

Or something is binding, so the motor draws too much power, and triggers the LVC, cutting power to the motor. Does it still rotate freely if rotated manually?

A Champ motor should last much longer than 20 minutes, but it can take just a single crash, where it gets hit the wrong way, to break a motor.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pictures of various boats
Old Jul 13, 2015, 09:14 PM
Find More Posts by wslco10
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Apr 2009
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambowker98 View Post
Any suggestions at all?
Sounds like a weak battery. Recharge it or buy a new one if necessary.
wslco10 is offline Find More Posts by wslco10
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:48 PM
Joined May 2014
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
It could be the crashes caused the small "brushes" (these look more like springs) inside the motor to get damaged. Causing some "blind spots" during motor rotation, so it will not get power in those positions.

Or something is binding, so the motor draws too much power, and triggers the LVC, cutting power to the motor. Does it still rotate freely if rotated manually?

A Champ motor should last much longer than 20 minutes, but it can take just a single crash, where it gets hit the wrong way, to break a motor.
Thank you. I can't really tell if it's spinning freely because of some worn down gears on the prop shaft, but I don't think it is. I ordered a new motor with gearbox (P-51 motor -- it was cheaper than the stock one!) and some new larger batteries, so hopefully one of those two things will fix the issue.

I'll keep you all posted just in case anyone else has a problem like this in the future

Cheers,
Adam
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by 55Cobra
United States, NC, Whispering Pines
Joined Dec 2012
66 Posts
Mine does the same thing and it is battery related for me, as it clearly looses complete power as the motor stops spinning. If I move the throttle up and down a few times it will stay on, but be cautious, once you cut throttle to zero during flight it will not come back on! Mine ended up in the pool, and now the brick won't bind anymore!it just flashes rapidly!
55Cobra is offline Find More Posts by 55Cobra
Old Jul 14, 2015, 02:34 PM
Joined May 2014
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Cobra View Post
Mine does the same thing and it is battery related for me, as it clearly looses complete power as the motor stops spinning. If I move the throttle up and down a few times it will stay on, but be cautious, once you cut throttle to zero during flight it will not come back on! Mine ended up in the pool, and now the brick won't bind anymore!it just flashes rapidly!
Thanks for the tip - I'll try it with a 100% fully charged battery after work today and see if anything changes... that really sucks about your brick, those things are like $55 to replace!!
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:22 AM
Joined May 2014
136 Posts
I just installed a brand new motor and put in a fresh fully charged battery. At first the problem was gone, but I wanted to keep testing it to make sure... and of course, after taking the throttle up and down maybe 5 times, the problem came back!! It's fairly intermittent now... I can't do anything specific to make it come back, but every maybe 6th time I push the throttle down and try to bring it back up again, it will spin for maybe half a second and lose power (same as the video I posted).

Any other solutions you guys can think of? I really want to get this Champ back in the air!!

Cheers,
Adam
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:42 PM
Find More Posts by Bob Chill
United States, MD, Rockville
Joined Jun 2013
108 Posts
I had a heck of a time with my Champ with the same problem. I replaced motors and bought new batteries etc. Didn't fix it. There is some good disco in the Champ thread ( i don't have the direct link to the right place in the mega champ thread but other members (north of 49? red sneakers?) can help with this problem. There seems to be different causes though. It could be related to the brick, brick end battery connection, battery end connection.

Mine was the battery end. I cleaned the contacts and taped the battery wire straight at the connector and it fixed it. I have a frayed wire but haven't taken the time to re-solder a new connector yet. Others have solved it by re-soldering the battery wire at the brick.

The "pulse and die" is caused by not enough power getting to the ESC more often than not. Your crash could have stressed the battery connection at either end. Start there at this point since you already replaced the motor without a solution.
Bob Chill is offline Find More Posts by Bob Chill
Old Jul 17, 2015, 07:54 PM
Find More Posts by mattman0182
Joined Apr 2013
189 Posts
Horizon has treated me VERY well with things such as warranty. Give them a call.
mattman0182 is offline Find More Posts by mattman0182
Old Jul 18, 2015, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by Geoff Raiser
United States, VA, Prince George
Joined Jul 2013
35 Posts
My Champ suffered the same problem 6 months ago after 20 to 30 flights and was cured completely with one drop of DeOxit contact cleaner (the red type) on the battery connector. I now treat all of my 1S connectors with red DeOxit and don't have any issues. The Champ is still going strong! I bought a tiny tube of DeOxit on ebay to fix a bad switch on a flashlight and found it is great stuff for RC connections.
Geoffrey
Geoff Raiser is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Raiser
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:54 AM
Find More Posts by Audioguru
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Oct 2011
819 Posts
The motor is designed to vibrate a pager or open a CD tray for a few seconds, not to power an airplane continuously for 6 minutes over and over. The motor is inexpensive.
So its brushes and commutator wear out. I have replaced many one cell motors. One motor wore out, shorted and killed a brand new battery. They both got very hot.

I replaced many worn out gear boxes.

Its battery connector and wires are not made to conduct the high current of the motor so they also wear out. I also replaced some of them.

But my two cells brushless and gearless motors have had hundreds or thousands of flights with no problems.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
Old Jul 18, 2015, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
1,041 Posts
I would recommend buying a new battery. If I read correctly you used a battery that was fully charged that you had used before.

At this point I think it is a battery issue. Buy a new battery and I imagine you'll see the issue go away.

Also, caring for the battery is very important, especially making sure that you take it off the charger immediately after it finishes. The little ultra micro chargers are trickle chargers, so it will keep trying to pump current into the battery even if the battery is full. This can damage the cell and severely decrease the battery life.
Julezwatts is offline Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Jul 20, 2015, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by papadwight
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
1,263 Posts
I have one champ that well do this but stops when I install A new from the hobbyshop. I move the old battery to another plane if it starts to do I trash the battery. I always was thinking it is me a my care of the battery's some days I well fly with 2 or 3 they dont always get put up right. But a new battery just opened has always fixed that champ for a few months at a time. But there were times I may fly my champ 20 times a week.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member