SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2015, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,901 Posts
I still have the V1 also, plus an extra just in case. Maybe I should retire my first and put the second in to use and grab a third just in case. Still my favorite go to plane, the AB Extra right behind it.
stevelmaa is offline Find More Posts by stevelmaa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2015, 07:48 AM
Find More Posts by Lusby
Feeble Weeble Wobble
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Dec 2013
243 Posts
that orange scheme looks familiar....
Lusby is online now Find More Posts by Lusby
Old Jul 14, 2015, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by formontoya
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jun 2012
305 Posts
I finally had a chance to get out this past weekend and maiden the Slick. As it turned out even though I looked at it more times than I can count I had the rudder reversed...even looked at it before takeoff. But I'm used to flying wings so it was no big deal, just meant that I could not "tear things up". This is my first 48" plane and I can say that it seems more "locked in" than my 3 footers. Cruised around for a couple of minutes and brought it back down. I'm fortunate to have a paved runway at the field I fly and the takeoff and landing looked like I had a pretty good idea about what was going on. I only managed the one flight as the wind and crowd picked up before I made it back in line so I flew out the batteries in my wing...

First impression is that this is a really nice, stable plane (w/SFGs on anyway) and I am more than ready to get out this weekend so I can get more time on it.

I had my camera tilted too far up and only picked up the takeoff and the landing...everything in between was just blue sky and noise...
formontoya is offline Find More Posts by formontoya
Old Jul 23, 2015, 03:05 PM
Joined Jun 2012
305 Posts
After a few more flights I have a question: Is the plane naturally setup to be tail heavy?

There are marks on the wing that correspond to the manual. When I did a bench CG check the battery was installed all the way toward the rear of the battery area and checked with the plane upside-down and was a touch nose heavy on my fingers. When I went to fly it seemed extremely tail heavy as sudden off throttle changes caused the tail to drop dramatically. I moved the battery it's full length forward and it helped quite a bit. It seems that I will have to move the battery pretty far into the cowl to get it to fly for my style/capabilities as for now I find it rather heart pounding to fly based off the manual and marks. It just seems that the manual and marks are off...
Old Jul 23, 2015, 03:28 PM
Find More Posts by akabek
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2013
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by formontoya View Post
After a few more flights I have a question: Is the plane naturally setup to be tail heavy?

There are marks on the wing that correspond to the manual. When I did a bench CG check the battery was installed all the way toward the rear of the battery area and checked with the plane upside-down and was a touch nose heavy on my fingers. When I went to fly it seemed extremely tail heavy as sudden off throttle changes caused the tail to drop dramatically. I moved the battery it's full length forward and it helped quite a bit. It seems that I will have to move the battery pretty far into the cowl to get it to fly for my style/capabilities as for now I find it rather heart pounding to fly based off the manual and marks. It just seems that the manual and marks are off...
I do not have the current Slick but for V1 and V2 I would say most people checked the CG by picking up the plane by the wing tube. The true test is up in the air. Are there any electronics like the ESC that you can more forward?
akabek is offline Find More Posts by akabek
Old Jul 23, 2015, 05:17 PM
Joined Jun 2012
305 Posts
the ECS is hanging as far forward on the motor box as possible. as well it's plush60 f/4s in the future. I agree that it's more of a "feel" thing and it would be different dependent on what level one is at...I'm certainly at the beginning stage so maybe that's it. this is my first 48" and first purpose 3D/sport plane of this type.

I really like the plane a lot...the tail is just to "live" for me at the moment and I do have more room to move the battery forward...was just curious as to what others are doing battery placement-wise.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by formontoya View Post
the ECS is hanging as far forward on the motor box as possible. as well it's plush60 f/4s in the future. I agree that it's more of a "feel" thing and it would be different dependent on what level one is at...I'm certainly at the beginning stage so maybe that's it. this is my first 48" and first purpose 3D/sport plane of this type.

I really like the plane a lot...the tail is just to "live" for me at the moment and I do have more room to move the battery forward...was just curious as to what others are doing battery placement-wise.
Set the plane so it flys level at about half throttle, then go inverted. If it goes nose down your nose heavy, if it goes nose up your tail heavy. You can further refine this by setting it so it flies neutral in knife edge, if it tucks to the belly your still tail heavy, if it tucks to the canopy your nose heavy. I would say if this plane is too much to handle since your fairly new to 3D you could always set your throws for less of an angle and try adding some expo to tame it down and just sport fly it for a while. Then gradually increase the deflections until your a full blown 3D guy. The real key besides a ton of practice, is to carefully set everything up so it balances properly.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:30 PM
Find More Posts by daft pilot
#14 royal wulf
bluegrass state
Joined Dec 2009
454 Posts
I ordered a V3 slick a couple weeks ago. I've always used a 3s 2820 920kv 14x7 setup in my skywing 48" edges. I'm going to try a 4s setup in the slick. I have a sunnysky 2820 920kv and a 130 omega. Anyone fly one of the 48" hybrids on 4s with one of these motors? I'm thinking I'll start with the omega, a 12x6 and a glacier 2200 4s. I'm also going to give the wire gear a try. Really don't wanna rip the bottom out of this one....
daft pilot is offline Find More Posts by daft pilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2015, 04:54 AM
Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daft pilot View Post
I ordered a V3 slick a couple weeks ago. I've always used a 3s 2820 920kv 14x7 setup in my skywing 48" edges. I'm going to try a 4s setup in the slick. I have a sunnysky 2820 920kv and a 130 omega. Anyone fly one of the 48" hybrids on 4s with one of these motors? I'm thinking I'll start with the omega, a 12x6 and a glacier 2200 4s. I'm also going to give the wire gear a try. Really don't wanna rip the bottom out of this one....
I use both of these motors on 4s and they work great. I use a 13x6.5 on the Omega, and a 13x4 on the Sunnysky. They both have great power, and the Sunnysky is probably the smoothest running motor I've ever seen. I don't care for a 12" prop because it just doesn't have the low end thrust for pullout. The 13" pulls pretty much the same watts but much better low end response while sacrificing just a little on top end. So for 3D type flying the 13" is the way to go in my experience. I've been using this setup for a couple years now and would never go back to a 3s setup. I don't use 2200 mah batts but went with 1800 mah, weighs about the same and gives the same flight time with better performance. When these batts give out I'll try some 2200's for better flight time, I don't think the extra weight will be a big deal, in fact it may help with the higher energy stuff with the added momentum.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by daft pilot
#14 royal wulf
bluegrass state
Joined Dec 2009
454 Posts
Thanks for the info JIG. I remember reading your posts about 4s setups in the 48 hybrids but couldn't find it. I'm really looking forward to getting the slick in the air. Hopefully it's here sometime next week. I guess I'll go sunnysky with a 13x4. All I have on hand currently are 2200 4s batts,but like you said hopefully that just helps with the energy stuff.
daft pilot is offline Find More Posts by daft pilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2015, 01:00 PM
Joined Jun 2012
305 Posts
I finally have a few more flights on the Slick and it's starting to come to me. As mentioned I'm really a sport flyer wanting to move into a better airframe that my EPO foamies that I could eventually have a go at some 3D stuff and this Slick seemed the one to go with. I've found a decent sport flying CG for it and this past weekend flew out 3 full batteries and the only issue was on the last flight...came in a little nose down and ended up running over and ripping off one of the wheel pants...an easy repair. So I will be doing a sport fly thing with it for a while and slowly increase rates then slowly move the CG back to where the manual states.

Certainly a lot of fun now that I have the plane a bit more controllable...