New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 12:27 AM
Find More Posts by RCDad
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,186 Posts
I found the fiberglass tubes that house the aluminum wing rod stuck out too much. I cut the protruding ends on both wings and now the wings match up. You should also check to see if the wing rod is too long.

Also look for foam seams that are sticking out preventing a tighter seam. The foam on the top of the wing may need to be trimmed as well.

Good luck,
Kevin
RCDad is offline Find More Posts by RCDad
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 02:51 AM
Find More Posts by jiggz
"its not a hobby its obsession
United Kingdom, Meopham
Joined Jul 2014
3,347 Posts
Mine has the same slight gap ..I have never had any flight issues with it
jiggz is online now Find More Posts by jiggz
Old Yesterday, 03:34 AM
Find More Posts by icarus the 2nd
Fly as high as the sun
Joined Oct 2014
318 Posts
Same here, I have a similar gap, no issues though in flight. But I had to bend the alu spar to a much smaller angle.
icarus the 2nd is online now Find More Posts by icarus the 2nd
Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM
Find More Posts by NoMoGlo
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Nov 2014
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDad View Post
I found the fiberglass tubes that house the aluminum wing rod stuck out too much. I cut the protruding ends on both wings and now the wings match up. You should also check to see if the wing rod is too long.

Also look for foam seams that are sticking out preventing a tighter seam. The foam on the top of the wing may need to be trimmed as well.

Good luck,

Kevin

There is a video on YouTube by Sean Byington ("Stupidmonkey") titled "How to assemble a FMS 1400 mm P51B Mustang" where the wing gap issue is addressed in the first two minutes of the video and it is indeed the tubes that accept the spar rods. They are too long and extend past the inner edge of the wing and need to be filed flush to the wing. Hope this helps.

Good luck
Steve
NoMoGlo is offline Find More Posts by NoMoGlo
Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by radfordc
United States, KS, Lansing
Joined Jan 2002
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDad View Post
That's exactly what the problem was. I trimmed the fiberglass tubes and all is well now.
radfordc is offline Find More Posts by radfordc
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM
Joined Jan 2002
1,522 Posts
Without me reading through 400 pages of this thread....are there "fixes" need to be done prior to flying the plane?

I'm wondering about the landing gear struts....do they need to have flats filed to prevent the legs from twisting?

I did have to make an adapter to go from the Deans plug on the ESC to the XT-60 on the battery. I also had to carve a little foam off the bottom of the canopy to clear the batt wires.
Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by jiggz
United Kingdom, Meopham
Joined Jul 2014
3,347 Posts
I would remove the screws on the legs that r used to control travel in the spring put some lock tight on them else u will lose them in flight
Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Joined Jan 2002
1,522 Posts
Thanks, jiggz. I would have missed that for sure.
Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by jiggz
United Kingdom, Meopham
Joined Jul 2014
3,347 Posts
No probs ..ask me how I know they come out in flight ..

I noticed they were missing on mine on the second flight after the sortie where she wouldn't cling to the runway on landing she just kept bouncing

Also when u power up to take off a slight touch of right Rudd is needed from the off as she likes to ark left without input ..
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM
Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
6,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
No probs ..ask me how I know they come out in flight ..
Lol, I found that one out the hard way as well when one of the gear was canted sideways upon landing. Destroyed LG door.

I prefer the inspect and tighten over Loctite because I've had bad experiences with that stuff but your method is definitely more foolproof.
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe